Angry All my weak auras for all specs vanished! WT?

So I log on after the weekly maintenance and all my weak auras are GONE! The addon is there and active, but when I open, there is nothing?

Anyone else ever have this?

I re-installed the addon, and still nothing.

Anyone know how I can possibly recover them?

check your savedvariables folders in your WTF/account folder for weakauras.lua.bak. its a backup file. open it with notepad and check to see if it has the info for the weakauras you lost. if it does, (duplicate it and) rename it to weakauras.lua and reopen your game.

Ugh

They are both empty! How would that happen?! This is terrible. I have no clue how to redo them!!

Welp, if you get DCed or WoW client crashes, client obv fails to save SVs and thus you may end up losing addon settings if they weren't saved before, but even then they can be lost.

The only workaround is to /reload UI after you're done configuring any addon and backup your WTF regularly.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-05-24 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xogo View Post
    Ugh

They are both empty! How would that happen?! This is terrible. I have no clue how to redo them!!
    what kind of weakauras did you have? wago.io has a ton of weakauras that are probably at least a little similar to what you had that you could modify.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is your WoW on a SSD by any chance? Sometimes with an SSD if your PC shuts down incorrectly you'll lose all your WoW settings.

Check if you have shadow copying on. Right click the WTF folder > restore previous versions. If you do, you're in luck! Otherwise, SOL.

You now have learned, via experience, on why backups are important. Now imagine your whole computer.

Do weekly backups!

7+ Year Old Account
    The file with all my settings, across all my characters for one of my accounts, is in C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\{account name}\SavedVariables. In case you haven't already checked that file, take a look. Hopefully you'll find something useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure you check "C:\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<< account name here >>\SavedVariables" for the WeakAuras.lua file, rather than "C:\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\SavedVariables".

I had this same thing happen to me, and for whatever reason my WeakAuras would constantly be overwritten even after replacing the purged one with a backup. I had to uninstall Avast Antivirus to be able to continue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...s_not/dgexb8e/
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/beware-of-avast-8861280

If you don't have a backup, and the .lua and .lua.bak files are empty in the above folder, I think you may be shit out of luck, and forced to remake or reimport most of them.

As another user said, you can find a ton of weakauras available on www.wago.io
    B.Net: Tehr#1477 | Discord: Tehr#5246 | Stream | Guild Website | List of characters
    Raid CD Tracker (#1 on wago.io): Tehr's RaidCDs, ExternalCDs, UtilityCDs, ImmunityCDs, AoECCs, RezCDs, & Interrupts

I use SyncBackPro to handle my backups. Whenever I log out of wow the WTF folder gets modified and syncback will see the change and back it up to a separate partition. SyncBackPro is $50 but you could look into their free software or another developer that does the same thing. I know I won't remember to always back it up so automated backups are nice.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Thanks for all the input folks. But sadly Im SOL.

Ive been searching for the ones I want, but cant find them and have also tried to make them myself and cant figure them out.

If anyone can help, the three I need are:

1. WA that simply shows total number of soul shards I have in a single number. Also thats displayed both in and out of combat.

2. WA that just shows how many Tormented Souls I have in a single number. Also that is displayed both in and out of combat.

3. WA that tells me what % mana I have left. Full is 100 and empty is 0. Also that is displayed both in and out of combat.
    Last edited by Xogo; 2017-05-25 at 03:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. WA that simply shows total number of soul shards I have in a single number. Also thats displayed both in and out of combat.
    Make a Text aura displaying "%p", in the trigger set the type to "Status", in the status type put "Power", and in the power type put "Soul Shards"

2. WA that just shows how many Tormented Souls I have in a single number. Also that is displayed both in and out of combat.
    Make a Text aura displaying "%s", and in the trigger set the type to "Aura", and in the aura name put "216695"

3. WA that tells me what % mana I have left. Full is 100 and empty is 0. Also that is displayed both in and out of combat.
    Make a Text aura displaying "%percentpower%", in the trigger set the type to "Status", in the status type put "Power", and in the power type put "Mana"

Hope this helps.
    B.Net: Tehr#1477 | Discord: Tehr#5246 | Stream | Guild Website | List of characters
    Raid CD Tracker (#1 on wago.io): Tehr's RaidCDs, ExternalCDs, UtilityCDs, ImmunityCDs, AoECCs, RezCDs, & Interrupts

TBH Weak Auras should have big warning on it's page that doing back ups is required for this addon.

Quote Originally Posted by osa View Post
    TBH Weak Auras should have big warning on it's page that doing back ups is required for this addon.
    For any addon

That's client issue that results in loss of addon settings. There's literally nothing we as addon devs can do about it, Blizz devs need to figure out how to fix/handle it.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-05-26 at 08:51 AM.

Backup your Interface & WTF folders semi-regularly...
    Well worth it.

For reference, this isn't just a WeakAuras issue.
    But that is one very prone to the problem.

No idea what blizzard's progress is on this, or not.
    But this is an interesting read anyway.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/beware-of-avast-8861280

Shows that the issue is how the game writes the SV, in that if interrupted you are screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Happens to me occasionally.

Always keep an up to date back copy of your WOW WTF and Interface folders.

That way whenever this happens all you have to do is copy these folders back into the wow directory and your UI will be restored. Other option is to save yourself 2 minutes by not bothering and lose many many hours trying to redo all your weak auras from scratch.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2017-05-26 at 11:12 AM.