Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AG Sessions did not disclose meetings with Russian officials, DOJ says

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politi...ngs/index.html

Washington (CNN)Attorney General Jeff Sessions did not disclose meetings he had last year with Russian officials when he applied for his security clearance, the Justice Department told CNN Wednesday.
    Sessions, who met with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at least two times last year, didn't note those interactions on the form, which requires him to list "any contact" he or his family had with a "foreign government" or its "representatives" over the past seven years, officials said.
    The new information from the Justice Department is the latest example of Sessions failing to disclose contacts he had with Russian officials. He has come under withering criticism from Democrats following revelations that he did not disclose the same contacts with Kislyak during his Senate confirmation hearings earlier this year.
    Sessions initially listed a year's worth of meetings with foreign officials on the security clearance form, according to Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores. But she says he and his staff were then told by an FBI employee who assisted in filling out the form, known as the SF-86, that he didn't need to list dozens of meetings with foreign ambassadors that happened in his capacity as a senator.
    The FBI declined to comment for this story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

More confirmation of this than actual news, as this came out during his hearings IIRC.

Oh well, just more of this administrations continued phobia of being honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    And cue the horde of Trump propagandists saying "nothing to see here move along"

10+ Year Old Account
    In a related story, Sessions is still heavily involved in finding the new head of the FBI. Sounding more and more like a conflict of interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Sounding more and more like a conflict of interest.
    Well...that kind of gets a big old "duh" from me given Sessions "recused" himself from the Russia stuff then kept poking around with it. This guy is a walking conflict of interest/obstruction of justice

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Well...that kind of gets a big old "duh" from me given Sessions "recused" himself from the Russia stuff then kept poking around with it. This guy is a walking conflict of interest/obstruction of justice
    Yep, isn't their pick the guy that works under Trump's new lawyer to defend against the Russia probe? Lieberman or whatever his name is? Yeah, that guy isn't going to get confirmed.

He really only recused himself due to mounting political pressure, mostly from the left. If Democrats didn't complain, then he'd still be actively involved in it--Republicans mostly complained about what they perceived to be a left-wing political witch hunt.

And cue the horde of Trump propagandists saying "nothing to see here move along"
    We should be talking about how Hillary stabbed Seth Rich in the back with a dagger made of frozen slice of Comet pizza.

Kim Dotcom told me so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

old news, this came out during the hearing with Sessions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    Like clockwork I tell ya!

15+ Year Old Account
    Seems Sessions has a lot to hide.

I wonder if he'll throw Trump under the bus if they offer him immunity, or at least reduced sentence?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Lieberman or whatever his name is? Yeah, that guy isn't going to get confirmed.
    Trump and his team intentionally put themselves into a bad place.

Trump fired Comey while he and his team are under active investigation. This part is not disputed.

Problem is, now he can't put someone known to be favorable to him -- as in more loyal to Trump than the country -- into that spot. So no Giuliani, no Christie.

And he can't put a politician in that spot, either -- and even if he could, the names that kept coming up backed away from the idea in a hurry.

Normally a high-ranking head of law enforcement, current or former, would be ideal, but who? Mueller's kinda busy, Trump intentionally attacked the intelligence agencies multiple times unashamedly in public, and most major cities either lean blue, or fall headfirst into blue and splash around.

Plus...well, things are looking really bad for him right now. We're not yet at the point where I can say "who would climb aboard the Titanic?" but it's closer to "who would intentionally sign a contract to be in Ghost Rider 3? It'll make money, sure, but not nearly as much as you want, your career will be stained forever, and it'll be lucky to get (checks 538) 39% on RottenTomatoes."

And then the Sessions thing happened after all of that.

Honestly, I'm wondering when the GOP will just hand Trump a name, say "nominate that guy" and force him to take his medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    It carries a 10k fine and up to five years in prison. Why isn't the justice department going after him? Oh, ya, he's the head of the justice department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    I wonder if he'll throw Trump under the bus if they offer him immunity, or at least reduced sentence?
    Carter, Page, Manafort, Flynn, possibly now Sessions. At what point do you snap a pool cue in half and drop it in the middle of all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    More confirmation of this than actual news, as this came out during his hearings IIRC.

Oh well, just more of this administrations continued phobia of being honest.
    It is a bit more than that. He skirted the issue in the confirmation hearings by saying that he met the officials in his capacity as a Senator. For this form it doesn't matter how he met them, he was supposed to report the meetings (apparently except for those at foreign conferences, which these weren't). Lying on these forms is a crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Lying on these forms is a crime.
    And even if it wasn't, this is the opposite of what Trump needs right now. More of his team colluding with Russia and lying about it.

Bets on if Rosenstein's looking at a promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And even if it wasn't, this is the opposite of what Trump needs right now. More of his team colluding with Russia and lying about it.

Bets on if Rosenstein's looking at a promotion?
    Take with a grain of salt...

https://twitter.com/TrueFactsStated/...64082730954753
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Is there anyone in the Trump administration that knows how to fill out a SF-86?
    Cleek's Law

"Today’s conservatism is the opposite of what liberals want today, updated daily."

10+ Year Old Account
    I say they just try them all together and slap everyone with the toughest sentence.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/do...rticle/2624103

"As a United States Senator, the Attorney General met hundreds — if not thousands — of foreign dignitaries and their staff. In filling out the SF-86 form, the Attorney General's staff consulted with those familiar with the process, as well as the FBI investigator handling the background check, and was instructed not to list meetings with foreign dignitaries and their staff connected with his Senate activities," Justice Department Deputy Director of Public Affairs Ian Prior said in a statement Wednesday evening.
    So, in other words.....ya, whatever.