Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Ehh but what if I don't have other plans and am just not interested. I'm a genuine person so I'm not about to lie to people.
    Uhh more like I would like to see what strategies people on here use. It's great to continually improve as a person.
    It doesn't sound like you're really interested at all.

If you're not interested at all, just tell them that. F.ex if you get invited to play poker, and you hate that game, just say you are not into poker, but thanks for invite.
    If it's something you sometimes wanna join, but today you don't feel like it, just say that you're not feeling it today. Sure, every time you decline you might ending up getting fewer invites, but that's fewer no's needed on your part.

Let your yay be yay, and your nay be nay

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "I'm flattered, truly I am, but my heart/interests/concerns is/are elsewhere."
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    "nah"

/10chars

7+ Year Old Account
    just lie not that hard

For instance when someone invites you out but you're not interested at all. How would you go about declining?
    No thanks or not right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I bought a shirt when I visited New York that reads "fuck you, you fucking fuck" - you could try that?
    I bought one in NYC that says "Do I look like a fucking people person?". Usually does the trick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say "I don't feel like doing anything but thanks for inviting me." Or just a "Nah". And if someone doesn't like those responses fuck them I probably wouldn't have had a good time with people like that to start with.

I do have to question anyone who has to ask online how to say no to people. If you have issues saying no or if the people you hang out with have problems accepting a no then you need new friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

"I have a *insert a thing* to do."

I always have some things to do that I can use as an excuse. Plot twist: Not because I'm a busy person, but because I'm a lazy bastard and things are piling up.

Also, if someone who's a gamer catches me at the wrong moment: "Dude I'm really into path of exile right now, how about we hang out tomorrow?"

I miss the days where I'd say "I'm raiding right now" and the other person is just like "Oh for fucks sake..."
    Last edited by Archon14; 2017-05-26 at 02:17 PM.

Ehh but what if I don't have other plans and am just not interested. I'm a genuine person so I'm not about to lie to people.
    You don't need to have any specific plans unless they're asking what you're gonna do. That's when you lie if you make something up. This is a tricky spot, but you can get away with that you have some personal matters to tend to. What it actually is is honestly not of their business.

For instance when someone invites you out but you're not interested at all. How would you go about declining?
    I would show them your post, they would probably uninvited themselves saving you the hassle.

Deleted
    Fuck you?

/10c

Trying to be as kind as possible isn't improvement imo just say what you want to say directly

"I'll think about it and let you know if I will."

- - - Updated - - -

When in doubt, Dr. Cox

Last edited by ItachiZaku; 2017-05-26 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace
    Somewhat similarly to how some above have stated. However, I am always aiming to improve.
    Fair enough. There are plenty of ways to handle the situation, but it is one of those "it depends" matters. For what it is worth, I suggest examining your reason for wanting to decline. Is it the person? Is it the activity? Is it the timing? The tricky one is ... are you just stuck in a rut?

If it is the person, you need to pick something appropriate to that person's communication style and you need to give some thought to what your relationship is with that person. You're going to give a different answer to the office annoyance that nobody wants to hang out with, but you still have to work together than you would to that really hot interest (however one's interests swing) you met at the bookstore who has unfortunately decided you should go cliff diving with them -- at sunrise, Monday morning, before the boss expects you to give that big presentation.

For the activity, before blowing it off, consider trying it if it works into your schedule and budget. Just turning things down is a way to get stuck in a rut. Sort of the same applies to timing, you can find yourself gradually narrowing your focus until you never get that 'round tuit' that you keep waiting for. Again, a great way to get stuck in a rut. Having reached the age where I can comfortably be a curmudgeon, I try to avoid getting stuck in a rut. Consider getting an early start on avoiding it yourself.

Disclaimer: Fiancee 2.1 being twenty years and some younger than I, and from a different culture, I often push myself to try things that she is interested in. Sometimes they are at least as ghastly as I expect, but sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.

For a generic excuse: "Thanks, but I'm just not up for it right now." Depending on the person and the activity you might tag on a: "Maybe later." If pressed for a further explanation consider that they are already pushing you, a slightly more direct answer is probably not out of line. I go with something along the lines of: "No particular reason, I'm just distracted and not really in a mood to do much." Since I'm known to have a particularly severe sleep disorder, that usually gets the point across.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Say 'no thanks', you're being polite, but you're not stringing anyone along either. You don't need to say any more than that.
    I do that, and if they insist on continuing, I raise my voice significantly and say "I SAID NO!". If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people insisting on whatever despite having gotten a clear answer. Sellers on phone are the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Try something like "Thanks for the invite, but perhaps a different time." You don't have to tell them you're not interested and you don't have to tell them that you have other plans. Just be honest and polite. People will usually respect that.

If it's someone that you're comfortable enough with you can be more blunt. For example, my brother asked me to go to some event which I absolutely did not want to do. I responded with, "No thanks. That sounds awful."
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-05-26 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Try something like "Thanks for the invite, but perhaps a different time." You don't have to tell them you're not interested and you don't have to tell them that you have other plans. Just be honest and polite. People will usually respect that.
    "Maybe a different time" "You don't have to tell them you're not interested" "Just be honest"...yeh they don't really fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    "Maybe a different time" "You don't have to tell them you're not interested" "Just be honest"...yeh they don't really fit.
    It's called being tactful and letting people down easy. They do fit. You can be honest without being rudely blunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Something suddenly came up"

~The Brady Bunch