Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

‘The Germans are bad, very bad’: Trump pledges to ‘stop’ German car sales to US

I think Trump would need the support of Congress to do this. I don't know how I feel about it, I don't buy German cars, I buy Japanese, Korean or US cars. I would like to see a good reason to ban the sales, like dumping or something.

Probably the biggest German seller is the Volkswagen.

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/05/the-...r-sales-to-us/

President Donald Trump is ready to fight Germany in an auto battle according to Germany’s Der Spiegel.

Trump got a chilly reception at the NATO summit in Belgium after attacking fellow members. But he was caught pledging a battle with German automakers as part of his anger with “back dues” he feels the country owes to NATO. As CNN’s Jake Tapper noted Thursday, “Trump seems to think it’s like a country club.”

In a discussion about the country’s trade surplus, Trump said. “The Germans are evil, very evil.”

“Look at the millions of cars they sell in the US, and we’ll stop that,” sources told Der Spiegel.

According to the report, EU Commissioner Jean-Claude Juncker took up for Germany explaining that “free trade is good for all.”

According to a report from the “Süddeutsche Zeitung,” the EU allies were horrified by the willingness of the Americans to view global trade with such a lack of awareness. Trump’s economic consultant Gary Cohn was said to have chided German auto trade during a discussion between the US and Germany and the USA and Belgium. Trump had previously attacked them during another conversation.

“I would say to BMW if they want to build a factory in Mexico and sell cars to the US without a 35 percent tax, they can forget that,” Trump said at the time.

The report revealed that since that comment, there has been “a threat of a criminal tax” in the room.

Trump is bothered by Germany’s trade surplus because many other countries have deficits, particularly the U.S.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Maybe we should make American cars not be shit so Americans will be more willing to purchase them.

Nah, that's too much work, just ban foreign cars.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm evil? Fuck you Trump, you're evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is with Trump having a raging hard-on to start a trade war? Jesus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Hasn't Canada already told us to fuck off?

Canada? Canada? The coolest neighbors ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Totally fucking relevant

9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our president is fucking crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im more into checking certain model over brand, but i understand some people have reasons to be picky over brands.

Not that I don't believe he would say something like this but...
    This is coming from a German news site, Der Spiegal So naturally they are going to have a proGerman slant. We need to take that with a grain of salt. I find it very very hard to believe that we would stop importing German vehicles.
    VW by far is the #1 German import. Tax them yes, stop no...
    The "very very evil" quote is more than likely an incorrect translation. My bet it is "very very bad" and the the quote is taken out of context.

He said from the very beginning that he was going to start putting an import tax on items. It is going to hurt people that like to purchase foreign vehicles short term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Maybe we should make American cars not be shit so Americans will be more willing to purchase them.

Nah, that's too much work, just ban foreign cars.
    Yea they were designed for planned obsolescence and never fixed from it

Why I buy Toyota

I wonder if anyone in his administration will bother telling him that BMW has plants in the US that employ nearly 10,000 people, last I recall.

Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I wonder if anyone in his administration will bother telling him that BMW has plants in the US that employ nearly 10,000 people, last I recall.

Probably not.
    The SC one is the largest, if not the largest. That doesn't mean that all of the vehicles in US come from that plant. I believe the plan is to put an import tax of 35% on the vehicles coming in. These vehicles wouldn't be taxed. I don't know if any other German manufacturers have plants in the US, they may.
    Toyota has a plant is the US as well. Their imported vehicles will be subject to the import tax as well.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-05-26 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Trump really putting his business chops on display with that typical big corporation thinking: don't improve my product, just legislate everyone else out of business.
    It's just a step off from his fuck everyone and sue them mentality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Trump really putting his business chops on display with that typical big corporation thinking: don't improve my product, just legislate everyone else out of business.
    Think of how much it costs to ship German cars to US and the existing tax on trade. If we cannot compete in US against that, the tax on trade isn't the issue... it's Trump and his support quitting on Americans, by saying the only way we can compete is if we price out the competition... regardless of quality...

By the way, USSR had a similar idea when it came to car manufacturers. Google Communism era Russian cars...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    It about time, we need to start working on making good automobiles again like the Jeep. God bless Donald Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Our president is fucking crazy.
    You mean reasonable and logical. This can only do good.

Die Deutschen sind böse, sehr böse
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ort/102162310/

This is the exact phrase in German (presumably translating "bad, very bad" into German) according to the USA Today article and the embedded tweet.

Seems to be from the Spiegel?

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/auslan...a-1149282.html

It's hilarious watching his appalling English translated into other languages as awkwardly as it sounds natively.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    It about time, we need to start working on making good automobiles again like the Jeep. God bless Donald Trump.
    You mean your Mexican factories?

Which I'm sure are way better than Germany's Mexican factories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Germany a Most Favored Nation according to the WTO? And wouldn't that block all other EU cars as well?

This seems poorly though out, even by Trump standards. It was probably just him flapping his gums, damaging relations with yet another ally, but nothing will come of it -- other than public mocking, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Oh yeah getting 24mpg is soooo nice. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    This is coming from a German news site, Der Spiegal So naturally they are going to have a proGerman slant. We need to take that with a grain of salt. I find it very very hard to believe that we would stop importing German vehicles.
    Don't forget to adjust for the planet-sized gulf between "Donald Trump says X" and "Donald Trump actually does X".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.