Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Well I'm still undecided on what to do. I mained Scholar when more of my friends were playing the game and so we had split 4 man dungeon groups. Now that our returning group of players is smaller I won't be able to heal as much so I'm going to be picking up a damage class. My question is this: Are the changes coming to classes posted somewhere so I can try and figure out what changes are happening to current classes? I know Bard and Machinist are losing cast times and some skills/spells might be going away but I don't know what is changing.

I'm really stumped on what damage class to go for though, I prefer ranged classes usually but I hate the BLM playstyle and didn't enjoy summoner enough when the 50-60 spells came in. I'm going to try out RDM but looking for a backup to level to 60 in the next few days.
    Well, Summoners get to summon Demi-Bahamut so if that ain't enough to excite you I can't imagine anything will.

Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    Well, Summoners get to summon Demi-Bahamut so if that ain't enough to excite you I can't imagine anything will.
    I guess it boils down to just how complex it would be rotation wise, summoners feel like they just have a ton going on and I never really perfected a good way to have the buttons set up the way I wanted. One of the old complaints I had was an easy way to track aetherflow and they are at least putting in new UI interfaces for that. As scholar is my current main of course that means I get a free summoner to level up along the way so I'll give it a fair shot for sure.

I guess it boils down to just how complex it would be rotation wise, summoners feel like they just have a ton going on and I never really perfected a good way to have the buttons set up the way I wanted. One of the old complaints I had was an easy way to track aetherflow and they are at least putting in new UI interfaces for that. As scholar is my current main of course that means I get a free summoner to level up along the way so I'll give it a fair shot for sure.
    Ah, well, I can't fault you for that. It does get pretty involved as you get up there but they do seem to be simplifying some classes in Stormblood. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the alleged nerfs to our AoE (since that's all we really have going for us) but I mean, getting to summon something proper like Demi-Bahamut is all I wanted out of the class so if nothing else, I'll enjoy that much. Oh, and I'm very much looking forward to the removal of having to level certain classes to gain access to jobs like Black Mage. It never made sense to have to level an Archer and since I don't play anything except casters, I've been unable to progress to that point.

Ah, well, I can't fault you for that. It does get pretty involved as you get up there but they do seem to be simplifying some classes in Stormblood. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the alleged nerfs to our AoE (since that's all we really have going for us) but I mean, getting to summon something proper like Demi-Bahamut is all I wanted out of the class so if nothing else, I'll enjoy that much. Oh, and I'm very much looking forward to the removal of having to level certain classes to gain access to jobs like Black Mage. It never made sense to have to level an Archer and since I don't play anything except casters, I've been unable to progress to that point.
    I watched the videos that were linked a few posts before this one. They pruned a couple of spells from summoner and of course you know about the Bane nerf which will nail AoE quite a bit. They looked to provide a few nice things in return for that nerfing though. I think out of scholar/summoner it is possible scholar really feels that hit on Bane though.

Yeah there is a lot of nice quality of life changes coming in regards to getting jobs and how they function with the new additional actions being a shared pool depending on what type of job/class you are.

I watched the videos that were linked a few posts before this one. They pruned a couple of spells from summoner and of course you know about the Bane nerf which will nail AoE quite a bit. They looked to provide a few nice things in return for that nerfing though. I think out of scholar/summoner it is possible scholar really feels that hit on Bane though.

Yeah there is a lot of nice quality of life changes coming in regards to getting jobs and how they function with the new additional actions being a shared pool depending on what type of job/class you are.
    Can't say I sympathize with the Scholar, I still have trouble accepting that they've made the classes so wildly different from their predecessors. I mean, at Black Mage is still sort of Black Mage-y but it wasn't until Demi-Bahamut that Summoners actually came off as proper Summoners to me. Scholars, however, are an abomination and worse yet is that Red Mages seem to be what Scholars should've been initially (minus the melee). Anyway, the shared pool of spells are neat except that my Thaumaturge/Black Mage will no longer have access to Protect or Physick.

Can't say I sympathize with the Scholar, I still have trouble accepting that they've made the classes so wildly different from their predecessors. I mean, at Black Mage is still sort of Black Mage-y but it wasn't until Demi-Bahamut that Summoners actually came off as proper Summoners to me. Scholars, however, are an abomination and worse yet is that Red Mages seem to be what Scholars should've been initially (minus the melee). Anyway, the shared pool of spells are neat except that my Thaumaturge/Black Mage will no longer have access to Protect or Physick.
    Yeah I'm all in on learning the red mage, Dualcasting looks really fun and the utility of VerCure back to back or X spell into VerRaise (enough Ver this Ver that already) looks really nice so it brings some utility I want.

As far as summoners go I really didn't get the whole DoT heavy class, so maybe they're finally shifting some power into nukes/summons at last.

The shared pool of spells does take a hit to some classes but they add a few really nice utility/self heals in some of the jobs. I'm REALLY freaking glad to be done with Cleric Stance though.

Yeah I'm all in on learning the red mage, Dualcasting looks really fun and the utility of VerCure back to back or X spell into VerRaise (enough Ver this Ver that already) looks really nice so it brings some utility I want.

As far as summoners go I really didn't get the whole DoT heavy class, so maybe they're finally shifting some power into nukes/summons at last.

The shared pool of spells does take a hit to some classes but they add a few really nice utility/self heals in some of the jobs. I'm REALLY freaking glad to be done with Cleric Stance though.
    Their weird naming aside, it really does look to be a lot of fun. Of course I know people are going to flood the class and it's going to get a nasty reputation right off the bat but that's never stopped me from playing what I enjoy.

I'll admit, the DoTs never made a lot of sense but they should be an AoE-heavy class because it fits with their mechanics in previous Final Fantasy games. Still, I find it difficult to complain given how amazing Demi-Bahamut looks. I only hope they have the decency to add more like him so we have a bit of variety.

I thought Cleric Stance was still in the game? I'm fairly certain I saw that but if it's not, won't that hurt--and I say this not with a straight face--healer DPS?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Their weird naming aside, it really does look to be a lot of fun. Of course I know people are going to flood the class and it's going to get a nasty reputation right off the bat but that's never stopped me from playing what I enjoy.

I'll admit, the DoTs never made a lot of sense but they should be an AoE-heavy class because it fits with their mechanics in previous Final Fantasy games. Still, I find it difficult to complain given how amazing Demi-Bahamut looks. I only hope they have the decency to add more like him so we have a bit of variety.

I thought Cleric Stance was still in the game? I'm fairly certain I saw that but if it's not, won't that hurt--and I say this not with a straight face--healer DPS?
    Cleric stance is still in, but will be a plain +damage cooldown. Healer damage will come from mind instead of intelligence, so healers who want to DPS no longer have to stance dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Cleric stance is still in, but will be a plain +damage cooldown. Healer damage will come from mind instead of intelligence, so healers who want to DPS no longer have to stance dance.
    Funny thing is, I didn't mind the "stance dancing" but them benefiting from Mind is nice, however, Summoners/Scholars are stills boned in that regard, aren't they?

Funny thing is, I didn't mind the "stance dancing" but them benefiting from Mind is nice, however, Summoners/Scholars are stills boned in that regard, aren't they?
    not sure. havent put hands on it but i remember way back when them talking about removing the bonus stats you apply because there wasnt even an illusion of choice there and half the casuals didnt even know about it

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    not sure. havent put hands on it but i remember way back when them talking about removing the bonus stats you apply because there wasnt even an illusion of choice there and half the casuals didnt even know about it
    I had a feeling I was forgetting something. They are removing them and as far as I know, that hasn't changed. It's for the best though, as you said, there isn't even an illusion of choice and at most it served to hinder people who played a Summoner and Scholar.

I had a feeling I was forgetting something. They are removing them and as far as I know, that hasn't changed. It's for the best though, as you said, there isn't even an illusion of choice and at most it served to hinder people who played a Summoner and Scholar.
    pretty much the exact reasoning yoshi gave in a live letter a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    pretty much the exact reasoning yoshi gave in a live letter a while back.
    I've heard of that but I generally don't read up on things surrounding a new expansion, patch, etc. All it serves to do is leave me disappointed or hyping up something that isn't all that great. Which I've already sort of down with Demi-Bahamut, haha.

Red mage is tempting and will probably be my secondary job. But the things added to pld are keeping me there firmly. Just one more week....

Friday can't get here soon enough. So excited!

Looking forward to getting my CE box shortly after as well. Haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Friday can't get here soon enough. So excited!

Looking forward to getting my CE box shortly after as well. Haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.
    Pretty sure this will be one of those "longest week ever" type of weeks for anyone who's been a fan of this game.

As for the subject of the thread, I've been thinking through how BLM will work with managing umbral hearts and how that could come into play in AoE situations, where I am thinking in a 2-3 target situation, one would Fire 4 twice (assuming 3 UH), then Flare with the last one...afterwards I am not sure of the MP amounts to know how many Fire 4s could follow the Flare. I suppose I could fiddle with one of these rotation sims floating around.

Tempted to main BRD if RDM sucks. Since casts are going away for BRD.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my PLD and I shall main him so hard this expansion. I love the look of all the new abilities that we are getting and it finally feels like the class is truly the stalwart defensive focused support tank I always wanted. Before I never really felt that beyond Cover and Clemency.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Tempted to main BRD if RDM sucks. Since casts are going away for BRD.
    Hah, I've been thinking the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    White Mage will be my main, leveling a War to be my tank and will pick up Sam as a dps. And that will be my holy trinity.