Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe nobody has said this yet: Correlation =/= Causation. Has nobody considered the fact that it could just be the healthier people bullying the less healthy people?

Obviously bullying still isn't right in either case, but there seems to be some pieces missing in this puzzle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    So a self servicing article from the Times is now the consensus of all scientific data?

From the same OP that sits in the camp of denying humans and our society is having wild effects on climate change?

Call me a skeptic at best and #jaylockthread at worst.

Edit: Honestly, just because you people can pick what parts of the Bible you believe in doesn't mean you can do the same with imperical data gathered through scientific observation. It's all or nothing baby.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2017-05-26 at 05:27 PM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    This was an interesting read on Time's health section that basically states if you are the one doing the bullying, it is good for your health.

The study followed 1420 children from the age of 9 to their 21st birthday to measure the effect of bullying, and while the children being bullied showed higher levels of anxiety and stress in their older years, interestingly enough the ones doing the bullying showed lower levels of stress and better resistance to diseases and other health problems.

My question is that if bullying is proven to give health benefits to the ones doing the bullying in the long term (into their young adult and adult years), is their actions justified?

Is there some basis for which bullying, maybe even mild bullying is acceptable?

Source:
    http://time.com/96848/bullying-can-m...lly-healthier/

I bolded and underlined a key part of the study.
    Stealing/extortion can also benefit a person's socioeconomic status.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

One person is disadvantaged for the benefit of another. I don't see how anyone would agree to this.

Although you essentially use the same argument for all of your pro-elitist/exclusivity/greatness of WoW posts.

Bottom line is you have a very skewed perception of reality, and as always I suggest therapy.

Bullying is mostly just human's primal instinct to establish a "pecking order". The higher you were in the pecking order, the better off you were (more likely to eat first, more likely to mate with the women, etc).

Those who bully tend to want to raise up the social ladder, so they target those they see as beneath them to try and establish their dominance over them.

Until the bully inevitably tries to establish his/her dominance over the wrong person and, instead, find themselves in the submissive position for once. Only then do they finally begin to realize their actual spot on the social ladder.

Just giving this swirly for my health teach.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Never.
    Bullying is unacceptable. As a species we need to push past this old "top dog" mentality, and change ourselves, even if it takes hundreds of years to do so, until this thinking is bred out, and we can move forward. Conflict is great for short term survival, but cooperation is the path to enlightenment, and surely, as a species, that is the overall goal long term? To achieve all humanity is capable of, not get stuck in a quagmire of evolutionary survival traits?
    Sure, let's hold hands and jump off a cliff together.

You can't breed out or remove this way of thinking and natural impulse. It's pure utopian delusion to think it's possible, and is a waste of energy and time to try. Better to deal with situations as they come, resolve them and move on than piss away an unfathomable amount of effort and time on such a lost cause effort.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

If this is true then it should be encouraged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I can't believe nobody has said this yet: Correlation =/= Causation. Has nobody considered the fact that it could just be the healthier people bullying the less healthy people?

Obviously bullying still isn't right in either case, but there seems to be some pieces missing in this puzzle.
    CRP values are not particularly affected by health style, outside of smoking and very sedentary lifestyles (both somewhat unlikely for children of the 9-16 age), the other things that elevate them is either toxins or inflammations (this includes autoimmune diseases) as well as cancer.

But you are right, it doesn't prove correlation and causation. But it looks very much so, and hence more research is required.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2017-05-26 at 05:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Bullying is mostly just human's primal instinct to establish a "pecking order". The higher you were in the pecking order, the better off you were (more likely to eat first, more likely to mate with the women, etc).

Those who bully tend to want to raise up the social ladder, so they target those they see as beneath them to try and establish their dominance over them.

Until the bully inevitably tries to establish his/her dominance over the wrong person and, instead, find themselves in the submissive position for once. Only then do they finally begin to realize their actual spot on the social ladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post

I think if the study was pulled apart, or the people publishing the study were remotely credible, they'd be asking better questions.

A kid that gets picked on because he has ashtma, glasses, or is not very coordinated, is not necessarily worse BECAUSE of bullying, nor are his long term health problems caused by the bullying. Likewise someone who has the potential to be a bully, or predisposed to bullying may already BE more physically fit, good looking, and not likely develop long term health issues.

It would also stand to reason that since Bullying tends to be a coping mechanism for a child's own problem, be it personal or familial, it makes sense that they may learn to deal with their problems better at an earlier age, than those that would need to recover from the trauma of being bullied.

The study also does not indicate whether or not said bullies or victims of bullying retained that behavior throughout their life/lives many people end up working for bullies or become bullies themselves.

I call bullshit on the whole study. Jumping to conclusions based on limited, incomplete, and anecdotal data.

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    Improving ones self at the expense of others is never justified.
    One could argue it's at the expense of the bully
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Robbing someone makes me richer, although it makes them poorer and possibly traumatized. But look at all that money I am making. So, can it be justified? Asking the real tough questions here.

Hint: The answer is two letters long.

10+ Year Old Account
    I specifically said physical abuse is unacceptable. But other non-physical forms of bullying.. if it leads to good health I see it more as becoming the "Alpha Male" of your school, social circles etc.
    If you have to bully other people to become an "alpha male." You're about as far down the food chain as a beta can be, fuck it. You're way below beta males.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Of course bullying is good for your health. Specifically YOUR health. Releasing your pent up emotions / negative feelings will always be good for your mental health. That was never the core problem of bullying.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Way to miss the point. The idea is that we push ourselves to help nurture creativity, and assisting each other. Think Roddenberry's Star Trek ideal, rather than a "dog eat dog" mentality, which ultimately, will lead humanity to stay stagnant on this rock, and end up wiping out our own species.
    We have the intellectual and emotional capacity to bypass our desires and our ingrained survival instincts. Logic dictates that these can be pushed out slowly through evolutionary means also, as we no longer have a "only the most suited survive" because we have technology, medicine and science to push us past that now.
    Your thinking is incredibly short-sighted, and sure, is what I am suggesting possible? Probably not, but doesn't mean as a species we shouldn't try. It would be for the benefit and betterment of us all long term.
    I didn't miss the point, I disregarded it as Utopian nonsense. Roddenberry's ideal is the same thing.

The fact that you can't see past the whole dog eat dog and see there's more there than just that is telling. That technology, medicine and science goes hand in hand with the conflicts we've faced as a species.

There's more to life than logic, and we as a species will not survive with just logic.

My thinking is spot on, because it doesn't attempt to pour effort into a bottomless pit. There's no benefit to do something that is inherently anti human and which would ultimately fail. Your Utopianism goes nowhere.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with bullying, I've been bullied and I've bullied others it's a part of life.

There are instances when it's over the top/very aggressive but at that point it more so morphs into abuse/harassment.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

Actually, science and such have evolved many times through human necessity, not always directly in line with conflict. Also, by your thinking, how do we have art, literature, music? They have very little if anything to do with conflict of any kind, yet they are there. We do not *need* them, as they aren't necessary for the passing of knowledge. Sure, it is a Utopian ideal, and is most likely due to human nature nearly impossible to achieve, but humanity is slowly coming to a crucible so to speak of where we will have to start thinking long term, and what that will be. We are at a point where the most capable do not necessarily survive, but the wealthy, so our standard evolutionary path is already skewed in that regard, and we will have to think "Do we allow ourselves as a people to keep pushing ourselves into a quagmire of conflict, war, religious genocide, and a culture of "Might is right", or do we try to push past that?
    Simply saying it won't happen because it is inherent in our genes isn't true. it is inherent in our genes to breed and multiply, but not all people do, and there are multiple examples of this. It has been shown time and time again through society constructs and such, we can push past our baser instincts, and to try to limit ourselves is why we are still stuck in this proverbial shit-hole as it is.
    Conflict is tension, this is almost elementary level understanding of things so your whole art, literature, music stuff is fubar'd right off the bat.

You don't understand very much of human nature if you don't think conflict is necessary to human nature.

'quagmire of conflict, war, religious genocide, and a culture of Might is right' isn't what I'm talking about, which is why I said that you can't see past the whole dog eat dog.

Yes, simply saying it won't happen because it's in our genes is true. People choose not to breed and multiply, so there's nothing for you to base what you're saying there on as choice is a conscious decision, and decision implies conflict and evaluation which occurs under tension.

Humanity can never push past our baser instincts, they're there for many reasons. We can put them lower on the priorities list in order to accomplish goals and things we've chosen to pursue but just like you can't push past the need of your inner organs you can't push past them.

Disregard your Utopianism and quit emphasizing a series of efforts that is just pissing away time and energy and perhaps you'd get closer to your long term goals, as would others who think like you.

You're welcome.

Honestly I don't think correlation != causation here. A more obvious explanation is generally people who are bullies have much lower IQ and people with lower IQ have less stress and anxiety.

Bullying Good For Your Health - Study Shows
    Damned right it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Unless you commit suicide that is.
    aka: Thinning the Herd

Bullying dies, nu-males rise.
    Stop the patchy beards, glasses and woman hips by doing your part today.