Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    IT HAS BEEN SO MANY YEARS since we we were last to the moon, why not Mars? It has been decades!
    If US goverment was throwing money at NASA like they did with Apollo program, we would have base on Moon and manned mission on Mars long ago

But well... money - that's the main reason. There were programs and plans to land on Mars.

Orion capsule and SLS (Space Launch System) is right now in testing phase and that should get us to Mars

and

Give Elon Musk a few years and he will land there with SpaceX considering their progress

[QUOTE=pacox;45886232]We dont know how to safely get people to Mars or construct the ship to get them there. The only country that can consistently land stuff on Mars. Its not easy landing on Mars due, not a bit. If we still struggle with landing robots how do you think humans would fair?

Space is huge, Mars is far. Launches have to be done in windows or your ship isn't going to reach the planet. The ship that will take humans to Mars would have to be assembled in orbit or we're going to come up with some revolutionary rocket science to get it off Earth. There is currently no means to assemble what is needed in space. But thats where private companies come in since they are coming up with new/cheaper ways to get stuff into orbit.

Mirco gravity does a number on the body, zero gravity is worse. Cosmic radiation is the worst. We need better ways to protect astronauts from the dangers of space were rescue missions are not an option.

Robots are a lot cheaper, safer, and effective. Fuck up with a robot, thats money down the drain but the lost is just material. Fuck up on a human mission and thats lives lost and the risk of future funding being withdrawn.

[COLOR="#417394"][SIZE=1]

Those Jupiter pictures are awesome. Found a website with the Chinese pictures from the moon.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...picture-space/

Even better why don't you go to the sun.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Mostly because Science pisses off the religious right, and they throw a tantrum every time NASA asks for money.

We've got tax breaks to give and a military to continue to supply with tanks it doesn't need!

Moon: 0.4 million km
    Mars: Between 54.6 million km to 401 million km.

Any further questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    butwhy.jpg
    Hardcore religious. Should just leave it at that. You've been warned! Dun dun DUN!

10+ Year Old Account
    butwhy.jpg
    Just look into it. Google "Flat Earth Clues."

Whats the incentive?

Why should we spend billions if not trillions of dollars to develop a manned Mars mission?

The Cold War is over.

Back in the Cold War days the Russians figured out the space program could have tremendous propaganda value. They put a satellite in orbit, then put a man in orbit. The US went nuts, why aren't we doing this. Cooler heads said it was a waste of time and money but the hot heads won out, so we landed a man on the moon.

After that the Soviets lost interest, the propaganda value was gone.

We need a worthy opponent, someone who'll motivate us into doing great things.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Just look into it. Google "Flat Earth Clues."
    Lol. Have you ever flown? You know you can fly, right? It's a commercially available service. You can in effect fly to any destination on Earth for a moderate fee. Alas, flight routes don't work on any flat Earth projection.

As a Geologist and someone who traveled extensively you make me cringe. Tho I am about 99,5% sure you are trolling. Flat Earthers are usually interweb trolls or legit mentally ill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I google absolute horseshit?
    Do it for shits and giggles.

Why would I google absolute horseshit?
    Trolls love making you waste your time. He already quasi succeeded as a bunch of people took the time to reply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Lol. Have you ever flown? You know you can fly, right?
    Yep. I fly all the time.

I prefer "enclosed creationist" but yeah, I'm a flat earther.
    I don't want to disrespect your opinion, but when you're watching your family leave on a cruise ship and it eventually becomes no longer visible... even zooming in on a camera it goes "down" and you can't see it anymore... do flat-earthers believe there is some curve to the ground or would the water be gone if that were true?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Drop the conspiracy talk and the hints at conspiracy talk and the arguments against conspiracy talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Trolls love making you waste your time. He already quasi succeeded as a bunch of people took the time to reply.
    You see how some people don't even want you to take a look at it, Gabriel? Fascinating isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    If their was profit in it we would already have gone there.

It's expensive and unesecary to travel to mars at this point in time.

Because Mars, like the moon, is not an object that can be landed upon.
    Oh, you are actually my first encounter with you people, please tell me more how photos of earth taken from space are all fabricated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I don't want to disrespect your opinion, but when you're watching your family leave on a cruise ship and it eventually becomes no longer visible... even zooming in on a camera it goes "down" and you can't see it anymore... do flat-earthers believe there is some curve to the ground or would the water be gone if that were true?
    Are you sure?