[Fire] Is this viable for solo?

Greetings everyone. I am thinking of using my boost for a Mage... I read abilities on Icy-vein and read the talents and came up with a "playstyle"... But in theory everything is seem fine

Build: http://www.wowdb.com/talent-calculator#GXfi

Playstyle: Gather mobs and burst aoe them down.. Meteor -> Dragons Breath -> Fire Blast -> Flamestrike -> Phoenix Flames -> Fire Blast -> Flamestrike plus a possible pyromaniac proc for extra Flamestrike and in dire situations I can use the 2 extra Phoenix Flames for another flamestrike...

Concerns:

1) Survivability: Is molten armor enough to keep me alive while I am burning down multiply enemies? Cause if not, my above playstyle is for "garbage"

2) Survivability 2: Do we have a good bodyguard to get aggro from mobs and help with survivability?

3) Damage: Meteor -> Dragons Breath -> Fire Blast -> Flamestrike -> Phoenix Flames -> Fire Blast -> Flamestrike is that combo enough to kill the enemies even while leveling? Or I need to get to high ilvl first?

If I chose to go Frost (Which I rather not cause I wanna play mage because of Fire), and gather multiply mobs and use Frozen Orb -> Nova + Cone of Cold + Comet storm + Icy Nova is this good burst DPS as the Fire above?

Thanks in advance!
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhh, if you're doing solo, any spec is viable because you literally faceroll and things die.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomorepuns View Post
    Uhhh, if you're doing solo, any spec is viable because you literally faceroll and things die.
    Well for 100-110 I actually died few times with my fury warrior when got multiply mobs and was out of cooldowns... And I hear that mages have the lowest passive defences...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

I play fire and frost, fire is definitely better for solo play due to all the instant burst that doesn't require any buildup. Cauterizing blink with shimmer is usually all the survivability you need, molten armor is trash. You don't really need a rotation for solo'ing, i usually just gather up mobs, living bomb, PF, Fireblast, flamestrike...etc. Doesn't really matter how you do it. Also pyromaniac sucks, go for conflag anytime there is multiple targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    I play fire and frost, fire is definitely better for solo play due to all the instant burst that doesn't require any buildup. Cauterizing blink with shimmer is usually all the survivability you need, molten armor is trash. You don't really need a rotation for solo'ing, i usually just gather up mobs, living bomb, PF, Fireblast, flamestrike...etc. Doesn't really matter how you do it. Also pyromaniac sucks, go for conflag anytime there is multiple targets.
    Thanks m8 I did some test in the target dummy with a trial mage and Pyromaniac sometimes proc 3 times in a row which was fantastic But that was very rare indeed. I will get Conflag then So you think better not waste GCD to apply/re-apply molten armor? and I bet Blazing soul is also not good as a talent... will get skimmer instead

Deleted
    Meteor isn't that great for aoe, it splits damage so it's more single target spell

Quote Originally Posted by Furaiowy View Post
    Meteor isn't that great for aoe, it splits damage so it's more single target spell
    Right.. thanks. Will see the other options

Fire is awesome for soloing content. Especially with maxed out Cauterazing Blink trait which will heal you for a lot

As other people said, Meteor is split dmg among anyone it hits, so it's not great for multitarget dmg. Cinderstorm is amazing for cleave/AoE though. Especially with Conflagration, as it applies the ignite to all targets and can start proccing it straight away.

As for the build, I'd swap out Blazing Soul for Shimmer, and go Conflagration over Pyromaniac. Maybe go Living Bomb over Flame Patch as most mobs won't live long enough for flame patch to matter all that much, and they need to stay in the ground effect to be effective.

Shimmer is also amazing in general for both kiting / movement (can be cast during other spells), but even better with the Cauterizing Blink trait.

Pyromaniac is theoretically better than Conflag, but you'll need superhuman reflexes to get any use out of it most of the time, and it can proc at inopportune times (like during combustion burst)

And your Blazing Barrier is absorbing so little that it'll go away very quickly, so Blazing Soul won't be of much use from what I've found. One spell is usually enough to break it, and then that talent becomes worthless.
    Last edited by Wizie; 2017-05-29 at 12:14 PM.

Fire mages are amazing for the playstyle you want to play. Great soloing and doing aoe packs. Pretty much everything has been covered in these posts.

You want:

-Conflag. Shimmer, Living bomb, and cinderstorm.
    -Mirror Images are strong now especially when paired with combustion. And they still tank pretty well (but seem to die faster then when they were just a skill and not a talent).
    -Get comfy with the combustion burn rotation, its amazing for killing a priority target and spreads good aoe around that target too.
    -Blazing barrier is utter garbage, theres only two times i ever cast it in any gameplay situation: before a raid boss pull because why not? and when a big hit is imminent and everything counts when the raid is running on fumes. I forgot the talent to support it even exists because its that bad (not really but you get the picture).
    -You cant face tank 30 mobs without a little kiting, dragons breath and nova helps, but 2-3 mobs face tanking is perfectly fine and hte only way i play my solo content, kiting is for pansies.