Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CRISPR Gene Editing May Cause Hundreds of Unintended Mutations in DNA

https://futurism.com/4-crispr-may-ca...w-study-shows/
    Gene editing is a relatively new technology, and no other method currently available is as fast, precise, and efficient as CRISPR-Cas9. It has had unprecedented success in a number of fields, particularly in medicine—allowing scientists to edit HIV out of living organisms and engineer an end to malaria through the modification of mosquitoes.

Chinese scientists asserts that they’ve already used CRISPR on a human being, and clinical trials are in the mix in many locals (including the United States). Given the expected widespread use of CRSIPR in the world of tomorrow, researchers from the Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) are offering a word of caution. A study published in the journal Nature Methods revealed that CRISPR-Cas9 can lead to unintended mutations in a genome.

“We feel it’s critical that the scientific community consider the potential hazards of all off-target mutations caused by CRISPR, including single nucleotide mutations and mutations in non-coding regions of the genome,” co-author Stephen Tsang, from CUMC, said in a press release.

In the study, Tsang’s team sequenced the genome of mice that they had previously used CRISPR on in an attempt to cure their blindness. They looked for all possible mutations, even those that might have changed just a single nucleotide. The researchers discovered a staggering 1,500 single-nucleotide mutations and over 100 larger deletions and insertions in the genomes of two of the recipients.
    CRISPR-Cas9 is amazing, potentially able to eliminate or at least curtail a wide range of genetic diseases and viral infections. However, we should look at the potential side effects CRISPR could have on the human genome.

On the bright side, mutations are not inherently negative and relatively harmless mutations can potentially be more beneficial as it increases our genomic diversity.

IS anyone surprised that this is a possibility?

We need a CRISPR in every garage, $211 at Walmart.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Well duh. I mean you start fucking around with biology and biology goes "HEY! WTF MAN!" And gets all weird.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean....... how was this a surprise?

Suuuuwwwweeeeeet! I hope it creates magneto and other mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Well duh. I mean you start fucking around with biology and biology goes "HEY! WTF MAN!" And gets all weird.
    To be fair, humans have always fucked around with biology, we've just learned how to speed the process up by a significant margin.

Well,it's still a necessary step towards our evolution.Can't get perfect in gene editing without trial and error

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason this is worrying is because CRISPR has largely been sold as a tool for making designer genes. The whole concept was bascially that you could easily, cheaply, and precisely change just one part of the genome - the part you actually want to change. Having it backfire with as much as 1500 genes per change sets the technology back a lot. Even if they are somehow not important parts of the genome, it will not be safe for human testing if they have such unintended consequences, because genomes are complex and have a lot of interplay in how they work, so they can produce a lot of side effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    To be fair, humans have always fucked around with biology, we've just learned how to speed the process up by a significant margin.
    But we've done most of our biological fucking via methods that already exist in nature.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    CRISPR Gene Editing May Cause Hundreds of Unintended Mutations in DNA
    Colour me fucking surprised...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    The reason this is worrying is because CRISPR has largely been sold as a tool for making designer genes. The whole concept was bascially that you could easily, cheaply, and precisely change just one part of the genome - the part you actually want to change. Having it backfire with as much as 1500 genes per change sets the technology back a lot. Even if they are somehow not important parts of the genome, it will not be safe for human testing if they have such unintended consequences, because genomes are complex and have a lot of interplay in how they work, so they can produce a lot of side effects.
    Quoting for emphasis: wouldn't bat an eye if CRISPR hadn't been advertised as a precise method of gene editing.

Deleted
    Concerns were raised, and dismissed. Concerns are later confirmed and the response is "not surprising", what else did you expect.

Inc zombie apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    CRISPR is a first generation tool, and newer tools will likely take its place. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the flaws of CRISPR.

10+ Year Old Account
    No worries, it'll be tied up in litigation for at least another decade.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    "May" is the most unscientific word ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    "May" is the most unscientific word ever.
    Actually... I would argue it's very scientific. If you cast doubt aside, you've stopped being scientific. Where the denyers go wrong, is unreasonable doubt.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Actually... I would argue it's very scientific. If you cast doubt aside, you've stopped being scientific. Where the denyers go wrong, is unreasonable doubt.
    Well, no...casting doubt aside isn't what I meant. Scientists know that things may or may not happen. That's why they do science; to figure out what actually does happen. That something "may happen" is completely obvious to scientists. However, when it's used as a statement, it means absolutely nothing, and then it's about the most unscientific word you can ever use.

Instead of saying "CRISPR gene editing may cause" blah blah, you should say "the study <study name> conducted by <list the scientists> in <give date, time and location information> (link here <link the study>) showed <explain study findings in detail>" or something.

Just saying "X may do Y" is just complete and utter bullshit.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-05-31 at 04:33 PM.