Rated points, based on MMR or CR?

We were discussing an an RBG group because we played a 2400 MMR team as 2kMMR and we had people lose 3 points when we lost. (the 2k team). The 2400 team has some people actually at 2400 but some people below. We had people right at 2k CR and a little lower.

Is CR gains or losses based off MMR or CR? Anyone know FOR SURE?

It is actually based on 3 metrics:
    Enemy team MMR
    Personal CR
    Personal hidden MMR

------------

Your personal hidden MMR will be impacted by the game outcome (win or loss) and the enemy team MMR. (Enemy CR doesn't matter.)

The magnitude of the impact on your personal hidden MMR is based on the "likeliness" of such game outcome. The impact being much greater if the less likely outcome happened. The "likeliness" of game outcome is determined based on the difference between: your personal CR and the enemy team MMR. (Note that "likeliness" does not exactly correspond to the probability (percentage chance) of your team winning the game since it focuses on your personal CR and not your team MMR.)

Then, your personal CR is adjusted in order to progress toward your personal hidden MMR. However, there are a "hard cap" limit and a "soft cap" limit on how much your personal CR can move from a single game.

(When personal CR is below 1500, the "hard cap" limit is currently set at like 190 in RBG or like 24 when personal CR is above 1500. The "soft cap" limit is based on the "likeliness" of outcome and the enemy team MMR.)

Because of those caps, a big gap can exist between your personal CR and your personal hidden MMR. It can take several games for your personal CR to get close to your personal hidden MMR.

(There is also a slight artificial "weekly" inflation of everybody's personal hidden MMR built in the system. This is why it is easier to reach higher personal CR toward the end of a season. The inflation pool is reset at beginning of each season.)

(The official entire set of formulas and calibration factors are not disclosed by Blizzard. This is mostly based on various posts I remember reading on Blizzard forums and consistent with my experience of rated play.)

Quote Originally Posted by Astator View Post
    Enemy team MMR
    Personal CR
    Personal hidden MMR

snip
    Thank you very much for that. I knew that we all had a hidden personal MMR, I just did not remember that your points was based on the difference between your personal CR and MMR. It still boggles though that a player that is 1987 rating, and say 1987 personal MMR can lose 3 points against a team that had an MMR of 2400. I guess what that means is that until your personal CR approaches your MMR that it is almost impossible to lose CR, but once they are close you lose no matter what team you face.

Quote Originally Posted by Astator View Post
    Enemy team MMR
    Personal CR
    Personal hidden MMR

------------

Your personal hidden MMR will be impacted by the game outcome (win or loss) and the enemy team MMR. (Enemy CR doesn't matter.)

The magnitude of the impact on your personal hidden MMR is based on the "likeliness" of such game outcome. The impact being much greater if the less likely outcome happened. The "likeliness" of game outcome is determined based on the difference between: your personal CR and the enemy team MMR. (Note that "likeliness" does not exactly correspond to the probability (percentage chance) of your team winning the game since it focuses on your personal CR and not your team MMR.)
    How do you know this to be true? I'm not actually sure it is. I havn't read any Blizzard posts (to my memory) that indicates this to be true.

I believe it to just be +14pts (or whatever it is, havn't played for a bit) +/- an offset (based on team mmr vs enemy team mmr). Not including the caps of course.

Other than that your post is correct and informative.