Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    A big reason why the US is not so polluted is strict government regulation of pollution. The Clean Air Act is such a major success no sane person advocates its elimination.
    And what evidence do you have that Trump is sane? Everything points to the contrary. Pulling out of the Paris agreement for example...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why should we give billions to Congo or some other third world shithole. Make them pay for it themselves. My tax money is supposed to support MY country. IF Congo cant afford the new standards, then the other nations should band together to embargo any products not meeting the new standards. Im sick of supporting others at my expense
    Because the contribution to climate change from 'third world shitholes' does not stay in those countries. It affects everyone, the U.S. included, because the funny thing about nature is that it doesn't give a rat's ass about how isolated you want to be from the rest of the world.

Your choices are to help them mitigate now, or spend even more on adaptation later down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Because the contribution to climate change from 'third world shitholes' does not stay in those countries. It affects everyone, the U.S. included, because the funny thing about nature is that it doesn't give a rat's ass about how isolated you want to be from the rest of the world.

Your choices are to help them mitigate now, or spend even more on adaptation later down the line.
    It's basically like wondering why you should help pay for a sewer system for your neighbourhood to use, when you've got a perfectly functional septic system in your own backyard (and your neighbours don't).

If you don't mind the smell from your neighbours and the raw sewage flowing past your door on the street, maybe that's an argument that makes sense to you, but it's just aggressively ignorant to pretty much anyone sane.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why should we give billions to Congo or some other third world shithole. Make them pay for it themselves. My tax money is supposed to support MY country. IF Congo cant afford the new standards, then the other nations should band together to embargo any products not meeting the new standards. Im sick of supporting others at my expense
    You are aware climate change affects everybody? America isn't magically immune

The Climate is changing??? no way!! We in a Global cooling pattern now or super heating? Sorry lost track of the .04% the atmosphere that is destined to kill us.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta love your analogies Endus, they are always enlightening yet fall short.

Is there any good evidence that giving money to third-world nations and nominally earmarking it for climate mitigation does anything to reduce emissions? Given the general government structure of these countries, I'd be pretty surprised if this turned out to be an effective strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Is there any good evidence that giving money to third-world nations and nominally earmarking it for climate mitigation does anything to reduce emissions? Given the general government structure of these countries, I'd be pretty surprised if this turned out to be an effective strategy.
    Fair point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    You are aware climate change affects everybody? America isn't magically immune
    He is simply willing to destroy the country in some cynically nihilistic and immature temper-tantrum about getting his way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Orlong chooses option 3 : Scream "Fuck you, I got mine" repeatedly and die before the results come home to roost.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Orlong chooses option 3 : Scream "Fuck you, I got mine" repeatedly and die before the results come home to roost.
    Sad part is, there's really no choosing. The rest of the world will adapt lower emission standards and if US companies want to sell their goods to everyone else, so will we. All Trump has done is declare that we will be unwilling followers, rather than leaders.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you mean with GHGs specifically, then no, because it's never been an issue that's had global cooperation before.

However, as I linked a few posts earlier, the Montreal Protocol did basically exactly this with regards to CFCs, however, and was pretty wildly successful. So yes; there's precedent that these kinds of programs and collaborative efforts, including funding of developing countries to offset their cost disadvantage, can have effective results and achieve their targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    As far as I can tell we only import 24-25% of our oil but it's odd we also export some as well, our domestic production is actually pretty high.
    And in particular, we export quite a lot of refined petroleum products (gasoline, diesel, gas liquids). A good chunk of imported oil is being brought in because we have excess refining capacity.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you mean with GHGs specifically, then no, because it's never been an issue that's had global cooperation before.

However, as I linked a few posts earlier, the Montreal Protocol did basically exactly this with regards to CFCs, however, and was pretty wildly successful. So yes; there's precedent that these kinds of programs and collaborative efforts, including funding of developing countries to offset their cost disadvantage, can have effective results and achieve their targets.
    Sure, the agreement overall was pretty effective, that's a fair example. I'm not sure the disbursement of funds to the countries that were on the lower end of the scale was a huge part of the reduction, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Ushering in a huge giant backwards step for the future of humanity.

The US emits around 15% of global emissions relating to climate change, however its policies drive much of the world via the technology it creates (or doesn't create).

At this point, we have to look to China to save us I suppose.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...deal-reports2/
    So, when the US developed fracking production of natural gas, that lead to the majority of US emissions reductions, that somehow added to global emissions when we shared that technology? I don't even...but...wait...are you...what now?

Anyone else find it amusing that fracking is so hated by climate change alarmists, yet it lead to the greatest reductions in carbon emissions on record?

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    So, when the US developed fracking production of natural gas, that lead to the majority of US emissions reductions, that somehow added to global emissions when we shared that technology? I don't even...but...wait...are you...what now?

Anyone else find it amusing that fracking is so hated by climate change alarmists, yet it lead to the greatest reductions in carbon emissions on record?
    It replaces carbon with methane, which may leave the environment faster, but is significantly more potent when it comes to the greenhouse effect.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It replaces carbon with methane, which may leave the environment faster, but is significantly more potent when it comes to the greenhouse effect.
    I'm going to need a source for the notion that burning natural gas is worse than burning coal. I have literally never heard anyone say that, and climate alarmists regularly say natural gas is bad, but not as bad as coal.

Deleted
    It's basically like wondering why you should help pay for a sewer system for your neighbourhood to use, when you've got a perfectly functional septic system in your own backyard (and your neighbours don't).

If you don't mind the smell from your neighbours and the raw sewage flowing past your door on the street, maybe that's an argument that makes sense to you, but it's just aggressively ignorant to pretty much anyone sane.
    Its not even about that, that agreement doesnt make it mandatory for those 3rld world countries to do anything so theyll just pocket the money and say "can I have some more". Its a really really good thing we pulled out.

Oh and another thing. Should this not be up to the people, not a bunch of unelected hippies? It's all a snake oil scam. Assuming climate change is real, the solutions are certainly bogus and only serve to shuffle taxpayers money into the pockets of those charlatans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post

Fracking is opposed for entirely separate reasons, not the emissions profile created by the use of the fuel it produces. Conflating the two issues is just a blatant straw man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Its not even about that, that agreement doesnt make it mandatory for those 3rld world countries to do anything so theyll just pocket the money and say "can I have some more". Its a really really good thing we pulled out.
    You're ignoring that developed countries exist and political goodwill and such is a factor. This isn't happening in a diplomatic vacuum where their actions don't matter.

Oh and another thing. Should this not be up to the people, not a bunch of unelected hippies?
    It's up to governments, who are the representatives of the people. I have literally no idea where you're getting "unelected hippies" from.

It's all a snake oil scam. Assuming climate change is real, the solutions are certainly bogus and only serve to shuffle taxpayers money into the pockets of those charlatans.
    Aaaand this is meritless nonsense.

Fracking is opposed for entirely separate reasons, not the emissions profile created by the use of the fuel it produces. Conflating the two issues is just a blatant straw man.

- - - Updated - - -

You're ignoring that developed countries exist and political goodwill and such is a factor. This isn't happening in a diplomatic vacuum where their actions don't matter.

It's up to governments, who are the representatives of the people. I have literally no idea where you're getting "unelected hippies" from.

Aaaand this is meritless nonsense.
    Please stop quoting me. I have repeatedly told you I don't want to discuss anything with you.

I have also been told saying only this, is against the rules. Therefore, I will add this comment: you are wrong and your point is lacking.

Deleted
    EU, human rights commissions, UN and others certainly aren't. Same with certain states acting on their own against the constitution. So again whats your point.. we voted to get out, we got out of that nonsense, so cheerio-s all around.