Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Self-Destruct..?

Hey guys, so I've been playing for two days now and I've seen like 10 times now that someone uses D. Va's self destruct on a point or something, kills like 4-5 people instantly and wins the game + play of the game. Seems like self-destruct is alittle bit too crazy?

It has a long explosion time, does less damage with distance, and has a VERY obvious warning - the triangular ! that all players see directing you towards the bomb even if it's off-screen.
    If you get hit by it, it's very strong but the time delay, very loud audio cue, and the visual ! cue, mean that it's very easy to dodge a mech bomb most times, or at least get some distance so it won't kill you - and if not, well ultis are meant to kill people right?

Naturally as you've only began playing recently, you are playing alongside other newish players, who don't have the practice or awareness yet to see the warning signs for mech bomb. It's good against unaware players.
    Volte 80 Frost DK--Cycloneduke 80 Holy Pally--Moardotz 80 Desto Warlock-- Dexterworgan 80 Assassination Rogue----Liadon 80 Feral Druid--Mumbles 70 Frost Mage--Bibleblack 70 Disc Priest--Dylli 70 DM Hunter--Krosa 70 Fury Warrior -- Slapntickle 70 Prot Warrior -- Okoi 80 Enha Shaman + 4 slave shamans multiboxed to 70 - Darksorrow EU PvP

Literally all you have to do is hide to not die. Doesn't seem very crazy to me

When people start learning how self destruct works, it loses most of it's potency. You'll get used to it.

Self Destruct is quite tame from a power perspective, it does ridiculous damage but most players, even in low leagues, can easily react to the incredibly long wind up time and hide behind some cover.

The ability itself is balanced around exactly that, avoiding the damage, since if you get hit, you're dead. It will happen that people get caught out and are unable to find cover in time, but you should never see consistently 4 people die to it, even in very low ranked games or quickplay.

Its a noob trap ability, same with turret and couple other abilities.

It never works/barely works on higher skilled players, its good for causing breaks in positioning at that level of play though.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Hey guys, so I've been playing for two days now and I've seen like 10 times now that someone uses D. Va's self destruct on a point or something, kills like 4-5 people instantly and wins the game + play of the game. Seems like self-destruct is alittle bit too crazy?
    That's only because you're playing with people your level ( aka new players) who don't know how to deal with it, it can be countered quite a few ways ( shields, hiding behind line of sight etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's extremely easy to avoid, you both hear and see it. Guess you played too much during free weekend :P

After some time, it loses its killing strength and becomes amazing as a zoning tool, flushing the enemy away from the point or payload. Overall a great ultimate, but killing 4-5 people with it (without stuff like Zaryas ult) is only a display of how bad those people were.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hardly see it kill more than 1-2. It does a FANTASTIC job of clearing out a specific area though. People run for cover immediately.

I'll just add if you use a character like Zenyatta (my most played), that has no mobility and low health, you'll find the ult more annoying than if you're a higher mobility or higher health character. Try and be aware of hiding spots as you learn the maps so it becomes second nature where to hide, and you don't die as frequently.
    and then he cupped my balls...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting the strong feeling that not being a noob would solve most of my problems.

yeah, now a day I save if for when the point is in contention in Overtime. Other than that, it only "racks the kills" in very specific spots where you can't avoid it. Think the Right side Tunnel on Anubis, if you see them do an almost full team push, and can set up a defense at the top of the steps, a well launched D.Va Bomb can get some kills there, as an example. Otherwise, yes it's fairly easy to avoid, especially since you can see "ulti available" markers over the Heroes head. If you see that D.Va has one, never stray from a good hidey hole, or some decent LoS.

Anytime someone on the opposing team says something loudly to announce their ult you should be hiding behind something or gtfo if you can. It is a rookie mistake to just stand there in the face of certain death. Once players become more experienced it is very hard to get a single kill with it.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I hardly see it kill more than 1-2. It does a FANTASTIC job of clearing out a specific area though. People run for cover immediately.
    as this person and someone above said, this is what it is all about really. clears a place out real good!

you can do some sweet trick shots in some places that take people by surprise, like boosting it towards cover, but having it just hit the door frame and falling down outside - people who were inside and ran out to hide just got dunked on.

but yeah, it is amazing for clearing a point - which is very nice when you have 5 seconds left defending a point. a well placed and timed self-destruct that doesn't kill anyone can still win the game~

It needs to be combined with other ultimates to be useful as you climb higher.

It's just too easily countered by the stage, barriers, or ice walls. Like, if there's a good Mei on the other team, chances of you killing someone with it are slim to none. Like mentioned, the best use otherwise is things like "Drop it on top of the payload to clear the payload".

Nah. It is actually really easy to avoid if you know now. Symettra, Reinhardt, Orisa, Mei....all can protect their entire team from it. Roadhog can hook it AWAY from their team (he will likely die doing this but can save everyone else) and Reinhardt can shield his team if they are behind him....or sacrifice himself and CHARGE the Meka away from his team (he will die).

Or you can hide behind a street sign......or any other amount of crazy small, yet LOS breaking objects.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Nah. It is actually really easy to avoid if you know now. Symettra, Reinhardt, Orisa, Mei....all can protect their entire team from it. Roadhog can hook it AWAY from their team (he will likely die doing this but can save everyone else) and Reinhardt can shield his team if they are behind him....or sacrifice himself and CHARGE the Meka away from his team (he will die).

Or you can hide behind a street sign......or any other amount of crazy small, yet LOS breaking objects.
    I never said that I was one of the people getting killed.
    I only died to it a couple of times

10+ Year Old Account
    No. You can outrange it, or just step around a corner to LoS it. One of the easiest ults to avoid.

Deleted
    don't think of D.va's Ult as a bomb, more like a water balloon.
    a bombs explosive radius will kill you behind walls etc. D.va's water bomb is easily negated by hiding out of Line of site, and like a water-balloon, you don't get wet when you cant see it