If I wanna start to read the whole DC Universe comic series ,where should I start?

I've read something about that new "Rebirth" series ,is this the new "canon" now? Or it's just a continuity to the current New 52 storyline?

I'm totally lost,there are a lot of issues from different eras,honestly I have no idea where to start it.

Any help would be nice,especially from a comic expert

Deleted
    The New 52 is - thanks to all gods - over and redone with the rebirth series.

If you wanna read all of it, I'd recommend starting with Detective Comics issue #1. Then go from there. That'll ensure you get everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    If you wanna read all of it, I'd recommend starting with Detective Comics issue #1. Then go from there. That'll ensure you get everything.
    Published in 1937,well that would take YEARS to finish so not an option.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    DC's continuity goes back to long before the New 52 and is Rebirth a mash up between the New 52 and the stories before it. You should be able to jump into Rebirth easy enough so I'd just start there.

Published in 1937,well that would take YEARS to finish so not an option.
    Well, it was intended as a joke, but that clearly was missed.

To be serious though, you said you wanted to read all of the DC Universe comic series. That's how you go about it. If it takes years, then what's the harm? Depending on your reading habits, it'll likely take more than a year to get caught with just about any grouping of "whole" series anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Actually, a lot of Rebirth is just continuing on from the New 52 with no changes other than swapping of writers/artists. Batman considers all the New 52 era Batman as continuity. Batgirl literally picks up right where New 52 Batgirl left off(to the point if you removed Rebirth from the cover, you literally wouldn't know you weren't reading a New 52 book), Supergirl picks up shortly after New 52 Supergirl ended, etc. So basically, Rebirth is continuing the New 52 continuity, then meshing it with some of the pre-New 52 stuff(like the return of Wally West).

Read what ever you feel like.

I still would suggest Batman: The court of Owls and work your way from there.

Flashpoint is worth picking up since its going to impact the Rebirth stuff later this, already has with The Button crossover.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

I would just read the first 1986 post-Crisis material. All you really need to do is read the MAN OF STEEL mini-series by John Byrne, BATMAN: YEAR ONE by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli and then all of Byrne's run on ACTION COMICS (which was basically like Marvel Team-Up for DC in that every issue had Superman guest star with another superhero of the DC Universe). That was good stuff. Well, okay, there was a particular story with Big Barda that wasn't so great, but that's the only weak spot in my opinion.

In particular, the Superman material of this era didn't have all that "secular messiah" stuff in it that you have today. Superman was just a superhero.

Speaking as a comics nerd, it literally does not matter. They retcon things so often, and things change so quickly, that you can really just pick something that looks fun, start reading, and read whatever you want and you'll be fine.

If you just want to keep up in nerd conversations... That'll still work. Nobody knows all of it

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much stopped reading comics altogether when that thing started. Talk about a misstep.