Does the English Language exist in the WoW universe?

I've played for 12 years and this has never occurred to me.

I know of only a few places where you actually see things in WoW spelled out in English.

No it doesn't. Everything is translated from Common or other languages into English out of convenience. Even the "Temple of Boom" shield you see in WC3 on goblin workshops is translated from either Common or Goblin to be readable in English.

I'm pretty sure they're only spelled out in the English language so that we as the player can read them. I'm sure they're normally in the native race's language, but since our characters can read it, it's in English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    I've played for 12 years and this has never occurred to me.

I know of only a few places where you actually see things in WoW spelled out in English.
    The term english, no but the actual language that would count as 'english' would be 'common'.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    The term english, no but the actual language that would count as 'english' would be 'common'.
    That's really only if you're considering English the Human Language default in real life, which it.... super isn't, though I know it seems like it to most of us in the US and England- most sources agree that Chinese is the most commonly spoken human language, followed by Spanish, and then English. The more you know!

Anyway, no, there is no "English" language in the world of Warcraft- humans and the Alliance speak Common as their common language, which is not English but is presumably derived from whatever language the Vrykul originally spoke, while the Horde have adopted and learned Orcish as their common tongue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...nguage_exists/

Saw this wow subreddit post earlier this morning, very relevant.

Deleted
    I don't understand how we are able to understand every single adversary, it just makes ZERO sense that the Legion races, the Vrykul, Pandaren, Mogu, Mantid, Nerubians, Voids, etc all speak Common to us. The only exception seems to be the Faceless Ones, who always speak in their native language.

Does every npc and player have some kind of universal translator built into them, or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    That's really only if you're considering English the Human Language default in real life, which it.... super isn't, though I know it seems like it to most of us in the US and England- most sources agree that Chinese is the most commonly spoken human language, followed by Spanish, and then English. The more you know!

Anyway, no, there is no "English" language in the world of Warcraft- humans and the Alliance speak Common as their common language, which is not English but is presumably derived from whatever language the Vrykul originally spoke, while the Horde have adopted and learned Orcish as their common tongue.
    That I know, my theory was only built by the factors of the creators being english speaking, hence you see different spelling of words in common (US English) vs. UK English. My only connection to the theory, as well as the factor of well, humans.

I was close to build it on the humans being the primary race on Azeroth, as Orcs and Draenei weren't from said world but then I remembered, elves and trolls would've trumphed that.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    I don't understand how we are able to understand every single adversary, it just makes ZERO sense that the Legion races, the Vrykul, Pandaren, Mogu, Mantid, Nerubians, Voids, etc all speak Common to us. The only exception seems to be the Faceless Ones, who always speak in their native language.

Does every npc and player have some kind of universal translator built into them, or something?
    It's a video game, retard.

7+ Year Old Account

Problem with Chinese is that only people in China actually speak it properly. Hence why the numbers are so big.

English is the "Default" language because of history and also because it's used mostly in business and in international talks a lot of the time.

7+ Year Old Account
    If Azeroth and Earth are in the same universe, yes. Otherwise, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Valrysha View Post
    Problem with Chinese is that only people in China actually speak it properly. Hence why the numbers are so big.

English is the "Default" language because of history and also because it's used mostly in business and in international talks a lot of the time.
    Mandarin Chinese is spoken in China and Taiwan. Hong Kong and most Chinese communities overseas created before WWII speak Cantonese Chinese. Also some Asian countries have Mandarin Chinese as one of their languages, mainly becuase bussiness in the region, for example Singapore, where Mandarin Chinese is one of its official languages.

Then, speaking about native speakers, the second one is Spanish (also called Castilian in Spain, because is the language native to the ancient Kingdom of Castile and then becomes the official language for all Spain).

English is the third language if you take into account people that have it as a second language; if we take into account only native English speakers that use it as their primary language then it isn't even the third.

The English being used overseas is mostly because the States are the most powerful country nowadays, and after WWII. Its impact on everyday bussiness, military and cultural affairs has made English the lingua franca.

On topic about WoW, English is not the Human language, in fact every race has his own language and some races also know the Human one (called "common", a borrowed term from Tolkien ), this is lorewise, but because Blizzard is an American company, and it's a fucking game and you're supposed to understand it, we see all the game content in English or in the other languages availables (in my case, I'm Spanish and I play using the Spanish EU client).

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ford Prefect gave them all Babel Fish to put in their ears.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreSick View Post
    It's a video game, retard.
    Go kill yourself irl.

You're actually only half correct here. This checks out if you're talking about native speakers, but if you talking about total speakers (including non-native speakers), English is the second most spoken language in the world, and it's not that far behind Mandarin Chinese.

The further issue is that the population of Mandarin Chinese speakers is pretty concentrated. English is the most popular second language in the world, with around as many people speaking it as a second language as people speaking it as a first. There is no Anglocentric bias here. English is a global language, it is the uncontested 'human language default'. If you don't live in an English speaking country, English is probably the language you're learning in school. You're not learning Mandarin. There's an official term for such a language - it's called a world language, and English is the prime example. Small tangent, but interesting (at least, I think so).

OT: Nah. There's some English on an arcway in Duskwood (thanks Reddit!) and a sign in Westfall too. If you think about it though, those were probably some of the first zones developed, and later on they clearly decided to keep the English out. It's referred to as common and displays as gibberish to Horde players, though if it were ever to be built upon lorewise it'd probably be similar to English/Latin.
    Last edited by Caaethil; 2017-05-31 at 10:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Ford Prefect gave them all Babel Fish to put in their ears.
    im sure most of the people on here havnt a clue what youre talking about.
    good old HGTTG

I mean no offence but you have to consider that Blizzard is American and also a branch of Activision Blizzard which is also American. So therefore it makes sense to assume that Common is the equivalent of English.

Go kill yourself irl.
    -Shrug- not my fault you're a retarded fan-wank guy.