Help me beat a terrible frost DK who thinks he's awesome

Updated:

Looks like the "fun" way I had of asking this question is not gonna work, so rewriting the OP. Can't change the title, but this will do:

I'm a fire mage, would like to stay fire.

I have a single fight that lasts 2 minutes exactly. I want to optimize my dps. Hero will not be popped until 1 minute and 30 seconds into the fight.

Should I go kindling? Do you have subsequent tips? If I go kindling should I stick with MI or go RoP?

Edited to clarify:

I want to know, over a 2 minute fight where hero is popped at 1 minute and 30 seconds in, if I should use kindling so I can try for a second combustion, or if I should stick it out with meteor. Also, I'd like to know if I should use RoP or MI in that circumstance(since only 1 MI is possible), and if MI should I pop it on pull or during hero.

The fight is chromatic anomaly. I don't have the bracers. The only single target legendaries I have is the hero ring(useless since we pop hero at 1:30), and the belt. I also have the helm and 4p. I have the 2x hero ring which is my usual go to for chromatic, but I can't use it because we are now 1 tanking it and the fight lasts exactly 2:00 on the dot. No guide will have that exact info, I'm afraid.

I should sim it, I'm thinking, because it's such a unique case I would have trouble being certain without a few sims.

My thoughts are this:

1. Getting two combustions in the 2 minute timeframe would be possible with kindling and probably be worth more dps than meteor or cinderstorm.
    2. Saving MI to be running during the end hero and popping the second combustion during this period would be synergistic.

What I'm trying to do is optimize dps based on the very short length of the fight. I find myself at a disadvantage on this one particular boss because I can't take advantage of my hero ring. My two options are this:

1. Forget the raid's wishes, pop drums on pull, and then hero again for myself at the 1:30 mark
    2. Figure out how to optimize talents based on the exact timeframe/hero order our raid kills the boss in order to improve my dps in that fashion

I'm sure that improving my play in general could eek out further dps as well, which I also plan to do on my own. My question is more about selecting and applying talents in this obscure circumstance.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-06-01 at 07:35 PM.

So you need help to beat the terrible DK?

Doesn't frost mage crush the hell out of fire single target

That'd be a good place to start

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    Doesn't frost mage crush the hell out of fire single target

That'd be a good place to start
    Frost would lol. It would also be Frost vs Frost and in how stupid the thinking of both people in this situation already is, that would probably drive the point home on this dude. "I can playz a better frost than your har har"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. When go to do look more like, you have to consider as decided the need to go want to look. If you merely decided as to think to half of that, you might as well go to a floor towards as the far. I can't believe you deny the use of further deciding to even want to do look more like, when the rest of us have decided to need a want. Go ahead, go want to do look more like further than a half. It gets you nowhere, I can tell you that.

Hrm. /10char
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-06-01 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    You won't outdps him if you don't have better gear

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Updated:

Looks like the "fun" way I had of asking this question is not gonna work, so rewriting the OP. Can't change the title, but this will do:

I'm a fire mage, would like to stay fire.

I have a single fight that lasts 2 minutes exactly. I want to optimize my dps. Hero will not be popped until 1 minute and 30 seconds into the fight.

Should I go kindling? Do you have subsequent tips? If I go kindling should I stick with MI or go RoP?

You go to a target dummy and run several passes of tests with each build. The one that gives you the highest average DPS... wins.

Whether it's enough to beat the terrible DK, we don't know.

eh my 890 mage has fire belt and bracers, no frost legendaries, but frost is a good 150-200k ahead ST compared to my fire

Short of telling you to look at a guide there isn't much help you are going to get when you provide almost no information.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Short of telling you to look at a guide there isn't much help you are going to get when you provide almost no information.
    I'd say nevermind, because I think the guy above is right, I just need to sim this.

FYI: I want to know, over a 2 minute fight where hero is popped at 1 minute and 30 seconds in, if I should use kindling so I can try for a second combustion, or if I should stick it out with meteor. Also, I'd like to know if I should use RoP or MI in that circumstance(since only 1 MI is possible), and if MI should I pop it on pull or during hero.

The fight is chromatic anomaly. I don't have the bracers. The only single target legendaries I have is the hero ring(useless since we pop hero at 1:30), and the belt. I also have the helm and 4p. I have the 2x hero ring which is my usual go to for chromatic, but I can't use it because we are now 1 tanking it and the fight lasts exactly 2:00 on the dot. No guide will have that exact info, I'm afraid.

I should sim it, I'm thinking, because it's such a unique case I would have trouble being certain without a few sims.

My thoughts are this:

1. Getting two combustions in the 2 minute timeframe would be possible with kindling and probably be worth more dps than meteor or cinderstorm.
    2. Saving MI to be running during the end hero and popping the second combustion during this period would be synergistic.

What I'm trying to do is optimize dps based on the very short length of the fight. I find myself at a disadvantage on this one particular boss because I can't take advantage of my hero ring. My two options are this:

1. Forget the raid's wishes, pop drums on pull, and then hero again for myself at the 1:30 mark
    2. Figure out how to optimize talents based on the exact timeframe/hero order our raid kills the boss in order to improve my dps in that fashion

I'm sure that improving my play in general could eek out further dps as well, which I also plan to do on my own. My question is more about selecting and applying talents in this obscure circumstance.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-06-01 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    You go to a target dummy and run several passes of tests with each build. The one that gives you the highest average DPS... wins.

Whether it's enough to beat the terrible DK, we don't know.
    / thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. When go to do look more like, you have to consider as decided the need to go want to look. If you merely decided as to think to half of that, you might as well go to a floor towards as the far. I can't believe you deny the use of further deciding to even want to do look more like, when the rest of us have decided to need a want. Go ahead, go want to do look more like further than a half. It gets you nowhere, I can tell you that.

Why are you using Lust at 1:30 when the fight ends in 30 seconds. Should be using it at 1:20.

To answer your other questions: You need to sim to find out.

If the fight is only 2mins, why does your guild not lust on pull? I'd honestly start by lobbying your Raid leader to lust on pull because it's only a 2 min fight to begin with and lust makes the start of Chrono that much easier. Then you could just use lust again when the first is about to expire because you have ring and have 80s of a 120s fight under lust. IMO anyway.