Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    It's mental gymnastics because Trump isn't under investigation. You can't look at maybe's and hypothetical's or future there of's and apply it real time. That's not how the legal system works.
    This is just getting sad. Trump wasn't under investigation on February 14th. He almost certainly is now.

You're purposefully avoided the context of Comey's comment, and it's fooling nobody.

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-comey-...justice-623182

TRUMP UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR OBSTRUCTION OF JUSTICE, JAMES COMEY SAYS IN TESTIMONY

Former FBI Director James Comey said he is “sure” President Donald Trump is being investigated for obstruction of justice by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Asked during his testimony Thursday before the Senate Intelligence Committee whether Trump’s request for him to drop the FBI investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn constituted obstruction of justice, Comey said it wasn’t for him to make that determination. However, he did say the matter was being investigated by Mueller, who was appointed as special counsel last month to oversee the FBI’s probe into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

“I don’t think it’s for me to say whether the conversation I had with the president was an effort to obstruct,” he said in response to a question from Republican Senator Richard Burr, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. “I took it as a very disturbing thing, very concerning. But that’s a conclusion I’m sure the special counsel will work toward, to try and understand what the intention was there and whether that’s an offense.”

Comey later added that he no longer has his memos documenting the conversations, saying he had already given them to the special counsel.

In Comey’s prepared remarks released Wednesday ahead of his testimony, Comey described an Oval Office conversation with Trump on February 14.

“I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go,” Comey recalled Trump saying. “He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go.”

Comey also confirmed that Flynn, who had resigned a day earlier after it emerged that he had failed to document contacts with Russian officials during the Trump team’s transition, was under criminal investigation at the time.

“General Flynn at that point in time was in legal jeopardy,” Comey said. “There was an open FBI criminal investigation of his statements in connection with the Russian contacts and the contacts themselves.”

Key to proving obstruction of justice will be establishing that Trump acted “corruptly” in asking Comey to drop the investigation. Legal experts have said that Trump’s asking Vice President Mike Pence and Attorney General Jeff Sessions to leave the room before making the request could be critical in determining that.

Obstruction of justice is a federal crime. However, the Justice Department decided in 1973 and 2000 that it was not prudent to criminally prosecute a sitting president. Even so, Presidents Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton faced impeachment proceedings for obstruction of justice. Some Democrats have already begun calling for Trump’s impeachment.
    I'm sorry, you were lying?

Read the article, the entire thing is about the contents of those memos
    How do you square the May 11 article referencing Comey's 1 on 1 dinner with Trump, then? Because that was not in the memo Comey provided to his friend.

Was that just "magic"?

Quote Originally Posted by Etselion View Post
    All the juicy bits come from closed hearings anyway

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/08/po...ing/index.html
    See? This is a fantastic example of an "Official Leak" The only people who knew that information would be people in the room for the hearing, which is to say, Comey and the Senators.

Which is to say, very likely, a Senator told their chief of staff to leak this to CNN. Why? To put more Pressure on Trump and Sessons. To provoke a reaction.

Not surprising of course; Sessions is an amoral crook. But leak is classic political fighting, and is the kind of thing that will be integral in taking down Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    When did he say he leaked them on the 15th?
    The Monday following Trump's tweet about "tapes", which was Friday the 12th. That part of the timeline checks out, but the rest of it seems to largely be Stacy and Ransath making up their own version of events to fit their world view. As there's nothing in the May 11 article that indicates the NYT knew memos existed at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did he say he leaked them on the 11th?
    Today during testimony. Some information was leaked earlier, the memos in their entirety were leaked the 15th.

Edit: misread - he said he leaked the 15th
    Last edited by fengosa; 2017-06-08 at 11:39 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The Monday following Trump's tweet about "tapes", which was Friday the 12th. That part of the timeline checks out, but the rest of it seems to largely be Stacy and Ransath making up their own version of events to fit their world view. As there's nothing in the May 11 article that indicates the NYT knew memos existed at that point.

I definitely think they would have used documented memos as their source for that story rather than some unnamed associates of comey.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyenut88 View Post
    Well traitors should be taken out back and shot. So?
    Treason is a capital offense in the United States after all. Lest we forget, many don't hold capital punishment in very high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    Today during testimony. Some information was leaked earlier, the memos in their entirety were leaked the 15th.
    Only one memo, the one about the Oval Office meeting. I believe Comey was pretty clear that he only provided one copy of one of his memo's to one person, and that person may still have it in their possession. The rest of his memos, including those that deal with classified information, are all in the possession of the FBI/Mueller, Comey doesn't have any copies himself.

countdown timers are pathetic because...?
    Just because.

Comey is a life long lawyer, the congress people are all lawyers, the only one in the story who isn't a lawyer is Trump.

And the hearing very much reflects that, they all know exactly what to say and what not to say.

No tweets from Trump yet.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Comey is a life long lawyer, the congress people are all lawyers, the only one in the story who isn't a lawyer is Trump.

And the hearing very much reflects that, they all know exactly what to say and what not to say.

He was in a room surrounded by his legal team. Likely still is. They're not going to let him even near his phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

It's mental gymnastics because Trump isn't under investigation. You can't look at maybe's and hypothetical's or future there of's and apply it real time. That's not how the legal system works.
    Trump wasnt under investigation. Againn its kinda funny that i, a person who's not a native speaker of english, knows more about the nuance of speaking in past term, repeteadly.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Which is to say, very likely, a Senator told their chief of staff to leak this to CNN. Why? To put more Pressure on Trump and Sessons. To provoke a reaction.
    More conspiracy theories from the guy who is on the Titanic telling everyone that the Titanic is unsinkable.

- - - Updated - - -

No need - Comey hung himself today.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    More conspiracy theories from the guy who is on the Titanic telling everyone that the Titanic is unsinkable.

- - - Updated - - -

No need - Comey hung himself today.

How so? Is the truth that repugnant that it's considered harmful to you now?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    See? This is a fantastic example of an "Official Leak" The only people who knew that information would be people in the room for the hearing, which is to say, Comey and the Senators.

Not surprising of course; Sessions is an amoral crook. But leak is classic political fighting, and is the kind of thing that will be integral in taking down Trump.
    @Skroe that shit that was leaked is huge, right? Kinda "sessions will resign" huge?

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    How so? Is the truth that repugnant that it's considwred harmful to you now?
    Ransath is an admitted member of the t_d along with posters like Soulslaver. Don't waste your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Calamorallo View Post
    Where did this happen? (May have missed)

Even if he ordered Comey to drop the investigation (if he said "Drop the investigation or you're fired")
    1) He can pardon Flynn at any time (agree optics would be ridiculously bad)
    2) I'm seriously wondering how those of you on the left can call this obstruction of justice, when at other times recently when a certain other president was picking and choosing what to enforce, this was prosecutorial discretion.

All I see is him "hoping" Comey would go easy on a friend. Maybe inappropriate, but certainly not obstruction of justice, especially given the executive branch's power to enforce the law. Also, this is nowhere near the involvement the President has had with law enforcement compared with several previous administrations.

Meanwhile and "collusion" between the Trump campaign and the Russian government continues to have no solid foundation. Certain posters here seem to believe that any contact between people is akin to election tampering, but this is ridiculous (especially with no evidence).

(Not sure if this has been posted previously - it is by Alan Dershowitz who is a Democrat that voted for Hillary. Fox News commentary trigger warning nonetheless: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...are-wrong.html)
    It is quite simple, one PotUS represents the D's and one represents the R's. Some people turn a blind eye to their particular party members representives wrong doings.
    Akin to the mother when she finds out her "little angel" is a crime lord.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "The conversation that night in January, Mr. Comey now believes, was a harbinger of his downfall this week as head of the F.B.I., according to two people who have heard his account of the dinner."

Comey and the Columbia law professor = 2

Honestly, i expect the 1-5 am tweetstorm