Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Lets say in 2050, they roll out a health care robot. It costs $50 and runs on solar. It can diagnose and cure you of all kinds of things. For the things it cannot cure, it will just grow you a new body (18 years old) and transfer your consciousness into it (in a perfect and painless procedure). Itll even have an emergency backup version of you stored in case of sudden death in the cloud.

Would you still eat healthy? Or just pig out until you get fat and jump into a new body? How about risk taking? Would you go parachute jumping? Dive off a cliff into water? Lots of drugs youd never touch otherwise? What else?
    There's a lot of science fiction that delves into this. I recently read The Commonwealth Saga. It has this type of technology in it.

To answer your question, I think it is entirely dependent on personality, culture and the availability of food. An athlete that was raised on healthy food and has access to healthy food all the time probably wouldn't eat junk very much. Some people get their kicks elsewhere. But there are some people who absolutely love food and that's how they enjoy their free time.

With that said though if we had technology like this we probably would have the tech to simulate popular textures and tastes in healthier foods. Look at what we've done in the past 100 years to make our food healthier. We tend to focus to much on negative, but we've made a lot of positive advances. Most of those advances are just in the variety of fresh food that is now available to us. This is true in most modern areas of the world, but there are still many where it's not though.

Given the choice I think most people would not eat themselves to death. It would get old pretty fast. Risk taking is a different story though. I could see a lot of people taking much bigger risks as entertainment. Although that would fall largely along personality lines as well. At some point most people get bored and try something new. If you're living super long lives, upping the ante every time, you'll eventually get to some pretty crazy stuff.

Lets say in 2050, they roll out a health care robot. It costs $50 and runs on solar. It can diagnose and cure you of all kinds of things. For the things it cannot cure, it will just grow you a new body (18 years old) and transfer your consciousness into it (in a perfect and painless procedure). Itll even have an emergency backup version of you stored in case of sudden death in the cloud.

Would you still eat healthy? Or just pig out until you get fat and jump into a new body? How about risk taking? Would you go parachute jumping? Dive off a cliff into water? Lots of drugs youd never touch otherwise? What else?
    I can honestly say that when I decide on what I am going to eat that the cost of my healthcare does not come into question.... ever. I can also say that when I have gone skydiving the cost of my Healthcare also did not come across my mind.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    You're an evil man, now I want one to at least try it .
    I made some at home once with fresh Glazed Krispy Kremes, KFC Crispy strips/Coleslaw and a homemade Blue Cheese Sauce. It was pretty amazing. I'm unsure if you eat Bacon or not due to your lifestyle, but a few slices of double smoked streaky on top is nice as well.

At this level of tech it can do either
    Then I would eat healthily, if it doesn't somehow magically transfer MY version of consciousness then it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by Mittens; 2017-06-08 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    This one is entirely irrelevant... A copy of me is not me, my consciousness would not continue, I would be dead and gone and therefore this does not matter.
    You lose consciousness when you go to bed. So one can argue that you are never you. And your consciousness never stays the same from moment to moment anyways. You are an imperfect copy of who you were yesterday mentally.

Since im essentially immortal, I would live every 30 years differently. But living healthier does feel better and you Are generally happier.

i'd change bodies just to change my look every now and then.

pale white girl in original iteration, asian the next, black, hispanic, a different looking white girl.

could additions be made to the body? horns, hooves, tails, dicks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I made some at home once with fresh Glazed Krispy Kremes, KFC Crispy strips/Coleslaw and a homemade Blue Cheese Sauce. It was pretty amazing. I'm unsure if you eat Bacon or not due to your lifestyle, but a few slices of double smoked streaky on top is nice as well.
    I do now and then, but mostly I tend to cook fried foods as a treat in moderation or for friends/family. I find myself only ever using bacon for deviled eggs or experimenting with food.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'd change bodies just to change my look every now and then.

pale white girl in original iteration, asian the next, black, hispanic, a different looking white girl.

could additions be made to the body? horns, hooves, tails, dicks
    Now you're talking. This type of tech brings up so many more questions than what's for dinner. Maybe some people just wouldn't eat anymore. It's really a hassle. Especially when it comes out the other end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    You lose consciousness when you go to bed.
    sleep and death are two very different states of loss of consciousness... Your brain is still active during sleep, you still experience dreams and create memories.
    So one can argue that you are never you.
    yeah thats not how it works.
    And your consciousness never stays the same from moment to moment anyways. You are an imperfect copy of who you were yesterday mentally.

The consciousness never stays the same from moment to moment because it is constantly changing by experience, not because it's been shut off, and had a copy turned on elsewhere, it is a persistent thing... In this situation you would cease to live, the end, and a copy would begin. Your persistent consciousness that had existed until that point is gone, and you are dead, period.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

If we're going to theorize and go sci-fi then take it even further. Eventually we'll be able to modify our bodies at every level. There will be no such thing as "unhealthy food". Eating a greasy pizza would be just as healthy as a pile of broccoli. It could become even more absurd too. Imagine modifying ourselves to the point where you could eat rocks and dirt and still be healthy.

What I honestly expect to happen is for computers to go full bio and integrate with our bodies. This will require extra energy on our part which means needing more calories. I think at some point the problem won't be people getting fat, but people trying not to get too thin. No more low calorie foods. Everything will be as calorie dense as possible.

sleep and death are two very different states of loss of consciousness... Your brain is still active during sleep, you still experience dreams and create memories. yeah thats not how it works.

The consciousness never stays the same from moment to moment because it is constantly changing by experience, not because it's been shut off, and had a copy turned on elsewhere, it is a persistent thing... In this situation you would cease to live, the end, and a copy would begin. Your persistent consciousness that had existed until that point is gone, and you are dead, period.
    Well from a medical perspective what you say is true. But from a personal perspective it makes no difference to you or anyone else, if you died in your sleep and were replaced by an exact copy that same night. There's simply no way to tell that anything has changed. It's all just data. Arguing that minimal amounts of brain activity matters in this context seems to be missing the point. Think of the Star Trek transporter. It's the same idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    no difference to you
    Except there is... You would cease to exist... There is a difference to you because you are dead... Nothingness or whatever afterlife there might be is what you get, you don't persist into the copy, it is not you.

It wouldn't make a difference to the COPY because the copy can't tell, it would make a difference to you because you are not the copy.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-06-08 at 01:33 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    What is the point of improving our technology if not for taking bigger risks.
    I drive a bike regularly to have a better body capable of smoking more frequently, ofc.

"Eating healthy" isn't even very well defined.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    "Eating healthy" isn't even very well defined.
    Not taking excessive amounts of calories is well enough defined.

I think that this question is deeply silly.

There is not a direct line of cause and effect between diet, risk taking etc and healthcare. The relationship exists but is very hazy. You could spend your entire life eating McDonald's and skydiving and live to 100, or exercise every day eating a diet full of greens and keel over aged 30 from a heart attack. All these behaviours do is alter your probabilities by varying amounts.

Not taking excessive amounts of calories is well enough defined.
    That's not "eating healthy", that's just calorie control.

"Eating healthy" is a vague term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Philosophical arguments aside, what you're describing is essentially being death-proof. I'm not sure I would call that "health care" per se.

I wouldn't go crazy, but I wouldn't work at doing better either. This diet I'm on? Fuuuuck that! But that doesn't mean I'm going to deep fry all my food or something, and it doesn't make me suddenly want to jump out of an airplane; fear of death isn't what stops me in the first place.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

If they had mental health service that was as good as this medical bot that could transfer your awareness to a new body, people probably would not have a reason to eat unhealthy foods in abundance. They would just eat them once in a while as a treat. Most people with eating problems have mental/emotional problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Treno View Post
    Depends. Eating healthy isn't exactly cheap either.
    This is one of the most widely spread lies. It is in fact cheap to eat MODERATELY healthy. Sure organic will cost more, but you can't say with 100% certainty that organic is cheaper. For what you pay for McDonalds, you could feed your family several times in a more healthy manner. The problem is people are lazy and if you're lazy eating unhealthy is cheaper. Also ramen noodles from the package is not a meal.