Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not sure why we try to define successful by nothing more than the subscribers when neither company releases official numbers anymore so it is all speculation.

1. Does it have a healthy playerbase supporting a healthy economy
    2. Does it generate enough revenue to keep growing and expanding
    3. Do players still care enough to complain about it 24/7

That seems like a far better checklist for successful. Though I would say at least when it comes to healthy economy, that is more server based than anything else considering both wow and ff14 really could benefit from an overhaul with datacenter or region wide markets.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Very good and enjoyable game. I'm looking forward to the expansion.

Square Enix has always reported players as units of the game sold or total accounts without ever talking specifically about active subscriptions. It's advantageous to them and is perfectly fine but without an accounting of how that number is calculated it would be foolish to jump to a conclusion that it's paid-for-and-active subscriptions. Historically this has never been reported out with specificity for this game.
    I'm still not sure if I'll go back myself. I subbed for a month and just can't really get into it right now. Might be because WoW is quite enjoyable at the moment and that's yet another expense for a game that, while solid, doesn't just grab me by the balls and hold on. Too many shortcomings marring otherwise great content/features.

It's like this; yes, there is gold in that swamp, but you're still going to be neck deep in mud. Tedious, basically.

Now maybe Stormblood rectifies that but they've shown so little of it to know much. I know combat will probably be better, that's about it.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-06-09 at 12:19 AM.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't you just post this thread this morning, only to have it closed?

There are not 6million subscribers. There are 6 million registered accounts, big difference.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post

There are not 6million subscribers. There are 6 million registered accounts, big difference.
    I read recently that the census is around the lower to mid hundreds of thousands. Probably will spike a great deal for Stormblood but yeah, nowhere near 6mil. That's still a lot and probably quite a bit more than most we just forgot what normal numbers look like due to WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

"With over six million adventurers worldwide, there is no better time to join the resistance than now!"
    And then you went ahead and assumed all 6 million were current/active subscribers? Get real.

FFXIV is a great game, I love it. It doesn't have 6mil subs.

If you can get a confirmation from SE that the number they refer to in the trailer is current/active subs I will delete my mmo-c account. Until then, I'm gunna keep calling you out on this bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCream View Post
    It's sad to see the amount of people who just can't be happy about FFXIV being successful. We get it, you're addicted to WoW, no need to crap all over our front lawn because of it.
    What if we brought doodie-bags?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    So according to FFXIV Stormblood launch trailer FFXIV has over 6 million subscriptions, not bad?
    No. Registered accounts.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's sad to see the amount of people who just can't be happy about FFXIV being successful. We get it, you're addicted to WoW, no need to crap all over our front lawn because of it.
    See my post above yours. I love the game. Spreading misinformation doesn't do anyone any good.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    I read recently that the census is around the lower to mid hundreds of thousands. Probably will spike a great deal for Stormblood but yeah, nowhere near 6mil. That's still a lot and probably quite a bit more than most we just forgot what normal numbers look like due to WoW.
    Indeed, I think the biggest effect WoW ever had on the MMO genre Subscription wise was the fact it's Sub Numbers were so dis-proportionally large in comparison to any other MMO with a Sub model that people took WoW as the "average" and anything below it was "failing".

Many Sub based games survive easily on <100k subscribers. But since that is 1/100th of WoW's subs at it's peak people assume doom and gloom.

- - - Updated - - -

Most people don't care or ARE happy that FF14 is successful. Most WoW fans just get tired of people going "OMFG WoW SUCKS I PLAY FF14 NOW AND IT IS BETTER THAN WoW EVER WAS, I BET IT EVEN HAS MORE SUBS NOW, OMFG HOW CAN YOU GUYS EVEN PLAY WoW!"

There are fuckwits on both sides that are annoying as hell.

The game feels packed right now due to 2 reasons. One and the most obvious is the new expansion hype. Happened in WoW too and will always happen.

Second but most prominent reason is the number of servers. FFXIV has SIGNIFICANTLY less servers then wow, so that congestion from only ~500k subs is very much contributed by that.

7+ Year Old Account
    I dont think FF14 will reach the the pop icon status that WoW enjoyed in the early 2000's atleast not in the west anyway but the game has pulled itself out of the gutter very well Yoshi-P did an amazing job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post

Just to note: The original thread was in the wrong forum which is the principal reason it was closed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Indeed, I think the biggest effect WoW ever had on the MMO genre Subscription wise was the fact it's Sub Numbers were so dis-proportionally large in comparison to any other MMO with a Sub model that people took WoW as the "average" and anything below it was "failing".

Many Sub based games survive easily on <100k subscribers. But since that is 1/100th of WoW's subs at it's peak people assume doom and gloom.
    This is quite true. World of Warcraft's popularity has proven over time to be an outlier. For the most part it still is. Nonetheless I think FFXIV is a very fine MMO personally and look forward to the new expansion.

I have no evidence to back this up but intuitively I think that a smaller player set for an MMO is generally better and more social. I don't know what the "right size" is and it's probably different for different games and genres but I don't think there's any question that smaller communities are better communities to play in.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-06-09 at 01:42 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

That s pretty poor though if their expansion just launched No? Shouldn't matter either way. You don't need 10 million people to have fun in an mmo.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Registered Accounts, not concurrent subscribers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Just to note: The original thread was in the wrong forum which is the principal reason it was closed.

- - - Updated - - -

This is quite true. World of Warcraft's popularity has proven over time to be an outlier. For the most part it still is. Nonetheless I think FFXIV is a very fine MMO personally and look forward to the new expansion.

I have no evidence to back this up but intuitively I think that a smaller player set for an MMO is generally better and more social. I don't know what the "right size" is and it's probably different for different games and genres but I don't think there's any question that smaller communities are better communities to play in.
    I agree that FF14 is a very fun game, I just burnt out since I played a Warrior and the 2.5GCD felt really harsh for that character since there was only 1-2 off GCD moves for them when I played.

I wanted to go back and play it again but found out the expansions are locked behind a huge amount of story quests as a mandatory gate. Might create an "alt" account for the free trail to give it a go again though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    But it isn't. It is successful, but nowhere close to how Successful WoW is.
    then whys another mmo out there on the market doing more than the guys with the most? Quality over quantity man. like congrats on having a playerbase so fucked up on your kool aid that they dont realize how lazy you are. thats pretty impressive technique no matter how shit your game is. but wow has been out for, what, 13 years now?

FFXIV has been out for almost 3 and it's already a much better game. I feel like FFXIV could be the future of this genre, but honestly I don't think Yoshida is that ambitious. I think he is pretty pleased with where things are at the moment considering his reaction to the overwhelmingly large and unexpected interest in the game at launch.

Deleted
    How about you guys go on your Final Fantasy Forums and talk about this?

Why doesn't MMO-C just make another forum for political shit and other games?

Seriously, if the game is so much more popular than WoW, as you claim, then surely there must be much bigger forums for it than there are for WoW. Go there and gloat about it all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgath View Post
    How about you guys go on your Final Fantasy Forums and talk about this?

Why doesn't MMO-C just make another forum for political shit and other games?

Seriously, if the game is so much more popular than WoW, as you claim, then surely there must be much bigger forums for it than there are for WoW. Go there and gloat about it all day long.
    Don't know if you are serious but is this not in the ff14 sub forum? Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    then whys another mmo out there on the market doing more than the guys with the most? Quality over quantity man. like congrats on having a playerbase so fucked up on your kool aid that they dont realize how lazy you are. thats pretty impressive technique no matter how shit your game is. but wow has been out for, what, 13 years now?

FFXIV has been out for almost 3 and it's already a much better game. I feel like FFXIV could be the future of this genre, but honestly I don't think Yoshida is that ambitious. I think he is pretty pleased with where things are at the moment considering his reaction to the overwhelmingly large and unexpected interest in the game at launch.
    it doesn't matter if you think FF14 is a better quality game. Or if you think WoW devs are lazy, or whatever stupid kool aid shit you are speaking.

Purely by the metric of Success WoW is a far more successful game than FF14. It's LITERALLY a fact. Even if we go purely by the time it has been out vs success. 4 years into WoWs launch it had more ACTIVE subs than FF14 has had active ACCOUNTs in it's entirety.

Ergo FF14 is not anywhere close to being as successful AS WoW yet it is still successful in the Genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post

"I like FFXIV better" does not equal to "FFXIV is more successful than WoW"