10+ Year Old Account

Mantid tactics weird?

Remind me because i may probably loose something so.

1: Why Mantid tried destroy Gate Of The Setting Sun, when they can simply fly over the wall in huge numbers?

2: Why they build bridge to Niuzao temple, when they can simply fly over as well there?

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post

1: Why Mantid tried destroy Gate Of The Setting Sun, when they can simply fly over the wall in huge numbers?

2: Why they build bridge to Niuzao temple, when they can simply fly over as well there?
    Most of them cannot fly and the whole purpose was for most to die, that is what the swarm is all about, culling their weak so that only the strong return, increasing their overall strength over the course of millennia.

Deleted
    Remind me
    There's a reason for everything...
    Mantid society
    Mantid assaults on the Serpent's Spine are a terrible thing to experience, both as a defender, and as a mantid. Only the smartest, strongest, or most agile of the mantid survive this encounter, and pandaren defenders are slaughtered outright in terrible numbers.

Mantid survivors make their way back to the great tress, often bearing trophies of their conquests. There, they are welcomed back into the mantid society, and take their place among their civilization according to the level of their deeds. With each cycle the mantid grow stronger. Those who travel beyond the wall are forewarned: any mantid you encounter beyond the wall is a hardened veteran, to be feared and respected.

Mantid are born with little on their mind but a lust for battle. Participation in a swarm is not only a cultural rite of passage - it is the catalyst for their physical maturation. Only those who return from battle can develop from a swarmborn into a fully-aware, individual citizen. Most mantid shed their wings as a rite of passage once they grow strong enough to wield heavy armor and weapons.

The mantid view other races such as pandaren as "lesser creatures", and take pleasure in slaughtering them by the thousand. However, they do not consider these lesser creatures to be entirely without purpose, nor is their defeat the mantid's true aim. Rather, the mantid make use of their enemies' defences to cull the weak from their numbers and hone the skills of the strong. As the mantid say: "Battle is an efficient mentor." The purpose of the cycle is not death. It is knowledge.

Because unlike what they think, Mantid are very, very, very stupid race.
    Don't forget they are merely only sweat from Old Gods (Y'sarjh in this case), who are themselves only larva parasits.
    Mantids blindly follow what they think is the will of their god, an evil being who is dead from 30.000 years and will never return, has fanatics, they are irrational and stupid, like member of many sects.

Er, no. They're neither stupid, nor Y'Shaarj's sweat, nor are the Old Gods in a larval state. They're also quite aware that Y'Shaarj is dead and what side he is on.

The Empress is irrational, but for a well known reason.

Because a) most of them cannot fly and b) Sha of Fear. Otherwise, they wouldn't have attacked at all during the Pandaria campaign.
    Last edited by huth; 2017-06-17 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The vast majority of the Mantid forces cannot fly, especially their larger members and their living siege equipment such as the Kunchong beetle-like creatures. The Mantid who can fly tend to be smaller, which makes sense, and not as strong as the larger specimens. Bringing down the wall and building the bridge to other areas would allow their bulk of their ground forces to overrun the respective territories.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Because they are too dumb to build ships. And on top of that they needed to "get stronger" (didnt work for them in the end, 10000 years of evolution went down to shitter in less than month) so they were throwing their forces into meatgrinder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Come to think of it, the Mantid do use terrible tactics, but not for the reasons OP stated.

They swarm in invasions that are meant to fail, so that the weak are culled and they can come back stronger. BUT, this applies to the enemy, as well. They are giving the pandaren the same benefit. As Sun Tzu said, "While I have seen reckless haste, I have never encountered wise delay". Attacking when you are unsure of victory is foolish, attacking when you know of failure is beyond stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Come to think of it, the Mantid do use terrible tactics, but not for the reasons OP stated.

They swarm in invasions that are meant to fail, so that the weak are culled and they can come back stronger. BUT, this applies to the enemy, as well. They are giving the pandaren the same benefit. As Sun Tzu said, "While I have seen reckless haste, I have never encountered wise delay". Attacking when you are unsure of victory is foolish, attacking when you know of failure is beyond stupid.
    It's not just about culling. Mantid don't fully mature without swarming. It's a necessary part of their life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post

The Mantid are born maddened, with only the slightest influence of the Mantid queen to ameliorate this temporary insanity. The Swarm is used both to cull the weak and as a necessary component of their maturation cycle. I admit it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an evolutionary standpoint - but it's an interesting story mechanic for the fantasy race.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account

the MASSIVE bugs cannot fly very much
    they cant fly seige cannons over
    not all of them can fly
    if you were ONLY flying it makes you very open to anti air weapon, so you need to do both, i dare you to play something like starcraft and go ONLY air then try to win against goliaths and missle turrets
    like really?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content