Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is The Mummy really that bad?

I want to see it tonight because Tom Cruise (and The Mummy with Brendan Fraser is one of my favorite and scariest movies of all time). I could use some quick responses from people that have seen it to decide.

Looks generic and boring. But I'm basing that off of trailers. I didn't actually see it.

if you want to see your dream boat that should be all the reason you need to go see it champ.

I really enjoyed the first Mummy, but the others were pretty bad. Haven't seen this one, but eh, I wouldn't be surprised if it was entertaining even if mostly bad. Tom Cruise probably runs a lot. I haven't even seen the trailer lol, I'll catch it on Netflix sometime.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Had a few friends see it, didn't hear anything bad, but didn't hear anything great. Sounded mostly like it was a fairly solid yet average film.

I've read a few reviews and they were DEVASTATING. Literally nothing good to say about the movie, decried as one of the worst titles in recent years with practically nothing positive in it whatsoever. Apparently just an incoherent, mindless mess that isn't even particularly great on the action. I'm not going to pay money for it, that's for sure. Might watch it on a flight or something six months from now, but even then probably only for lack of better options.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    I want to see it tonight because Tom Cruise (and The Mummy with Brendan Fraser is one of my favorite and scariest movies of all time). I could use some quick responses from people that have seen it to decide.
    I liked the first Fraser Mummy movie, but "scariest movies of all time"? LOL, damn man, I doubt it would even make the top 500 scariest movies of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I liked the first Fraser Mummy movie, but "scariest movies of all time"? LOL, damn man, I doubt it would even make the top 500 scariest movies of all time...
    They said "one of my favorite and scariest movies of all time"

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Dude, I watched the first Mummy when I was a little kid and it took me like a month to recover from it.

Anways, got the tickets. It's Tom Cruise and how badly can you mess up The Mummy? Will tell you guys how it was later.

Dude, I watched the first Mummy when I was a little kid and it took me like a month to recover from it.

Anways, got the tickets. It's Tom Cruise and how badly can you mess up The Mummy? Will tell you guys how it was later.
    Don't feel bad. The Michael Jackson Thriller werewolf thing scarred me for a long time.

It was a comedy . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Will be interested in hearing what you thought about it. I'm on the fence about going to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It was a comedy . . .
    Depending on the source, it's listed as action, adventure, fantasy, and/or horror. Never seen someone call it a comedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a generic CGI monster movie. As in, doesn't look too great.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    It's got Tom Cruise in it. It can only be bad.

Deleted
    After reading somewhere the director saying the new female Mummy is the “definition of a feminist” I knew I was never going to see this movie.

And Tom Cruise is a creeper.

I wont watch it cause Tom Cruise is in it. Never liked any of his films, they all just average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    After reading somewhere the director saying the new female Mummy is the “definition of a feminist” I knew I was never going to see this movie.

And Tom Cruise is a creeper.
    i didn't see that at all in the movie. thats really a clueless hyperbolic statement just to attract discussion or views.

i mean...we already had the Queen of the Damned movie with Lestat didn't we? even if it gutted the book.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2017-06-09 at 09:26 AM.

I'll watch it at some point. The monster looks pretty awesome from the preview, and all I really expect from these movies is the outline of a plot and a cool monster. I don't expect them to be "good" (although I do like it when they are), I just expect them to be reasonably entertaining.

Side note: the midline of Tom Cruise's teeth is off-center. Once you see it you can never unsee.

Saw it. It's not bad probably a 6.5/10. Has a strong opening and the trailers did a very good job at not spoiling the story (it goes in a completely different direction, so at not time was the movie predictable). However, the movie falls off a bit in the later acts and there's no chemistry between Cruise and the love interest - there's a lot of sexual tension between Cruise and the femme fatale mummy though. Tom Cruise's rascally charm carries the day, once again.

Deleted
    Tom Cruise again plays Tom Cruise in a poorly edited wannabe thriller that's actually a lousy action movie.

That's been Tom Cruise's career for pretty much the last 15 years after Scientology fucked him up real good.