Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Societal pressure

Why do people think they have to give up things that they enjoy because they get older? So many people let societal pressure dictate people's lives. Things like video games or comic books. You hear people saying all the time that grown adults shouldn't be doing either of those things because they're too old. However sports are ok to love at any age. I'll never understand why people don't stay true to themselves. If you enjoy something you shouldn't have to give it up based on how old you are.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Peer pressure.
    Generally, as you get older and more mature you tend to not give a sh!t what others think of you because your social circles are already set in stone.
    And about personal confidence.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-06-11 at 02:19 PM.

it's all about your personal view of yourself.

if you bow to societal pressure, that's on you. it's akin to joining a clique in highschool.

a mature adult will do whatever they see fit, imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Why do people think they have to give up things that they enjoy because they get older? So many people let societal pressure dictate people's lives. Things like video games or comic books. You hear people saying all the time that grown adults shouldn't be doing either of those things because they're too old. However sports are ok to love at any age. I'll never understand why people don't stay true to themselves. If you enjoy something you shouldn't have to give it up based on how old you are.
    Luckily we are the generations that was brought up with video games as well as it not being a problem, isn't the average video game player still over 30 years.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Luckily we are the generations that was brought up with video games as well as it not being a problem, isn't the average video game player still over 30 years.
    No idea what the average is but depends on the game is say. Average for Wo w might even be 40. But for like Cod it's prolly like 12.

Well, you definitely don't have as much time, maybe an hour or two a night and I can see even less free time in the future. C'est la vie.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    I do understand this view, however societal and peer pressure can affect major things in peoples lives, how you are viewed by someone in a position to move you up in your career or social circle can have drastic outcomes, I used to take on this view of 'fuck everyone else, I like what I like' but as I've grown I've realized it's not so cut and dry, I keep my interests to those I know understand and accept, and put on my professional general-likes, mask for when I need to be liked by a regular sort.

It sounds stupid. It is stupid at it's core, but society and a human ability to accept and understand has not budged as quickly as you would hope and I cannot afford to have my hobbies and interests conflict with my ability to lead a better life.

That's where the line is for many people and it's sad, but a truth you grow to accept.

However I will fight adults to the death on the 'animation' thing. Fuck you. Artists work so hard on animation to make something gorgeous and surpasses anything we can imitate in reality and you shit all over it as a 'for kids' medium. Eat dirt anyone who thinks this. Animation is one of humanity's greatest accomplishments and I will fight that point.

Deleted
    its just the way things go.

once you reach 35ish you reach the point where new technology is magic to you and you dont quite get it anymore, at that point you become one of those people who say "the kids these days, back in my day....".
    combine this with the fact that in general over time stuff always becomes easier and takes less effort, and old people get a bias when they compare how young people do something vs how they did it years ago, where they think a task takes a certain amount of effort, and you are doing less then that.

every generation will have something like that where middle aged adults will judge adolescents on a bunch of crap.

(similarly the age for music you like will always be around 20, when you had a lot of first experiences and the music you listened to had legit connections for you)
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2017-06-11 at 02:33 PM.

Deleted
    Guess Im a special snowflake then as Im completely immune to it. I guess I never liked those lame things though like anime, so it doesn't affect me much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost anyone I have ever seen ridicule other people for playing video games is a huge hypocrite. Going on and on about people wasting their lives with games as they sit around and watch TV or bullshit on Facebook for several hours a day every single day.

Short of your hobbies being a legit commodity you can sell, you are wasting just as much time and being just as unproductive as anyone else in the practice of their hobbies.

Isn't someone who enjoys video games or comic books past their teenage more likely to be a creative type? Why would anyone want to pressure these people out? Sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I totally agree, football fans are some of the dumbest most childish motherfuckers on the planet and noone has a problem with that. But liking comic books and videogames is wrong.

Here's the thing, as you get older, you stop giving a shit what people think about you. I don't give a shit if I piss off or offend just about anyone. Societal pressure does not have the same impact on adults, because their world view is more solidified. Their brains are mostly done developing, and they are more comfortable in life. I'm in my late thirties. If someone wants to judge me for playing a video game, I don't care. If they don't want to be my friend, because I offend them, I'm not going to lose a bit of sleep over it.

There's also the issue of overall experiences. I've seen a lot of people die, or simply leave my life due to any number of things. The little shit stops mattering at that point. I have about 5 people in this world I actually consider to be friends, and we all look past each other's quirks. As for the rest of society, they are nothing more than white noise in the background.

Why do people think they have to give up things that they enjoy because they get older?
    Generally the acceptance and inclusion in social groups are more pleasing and enjoyable for people than anything else.

Not liking to be around people is not necessarily the default human state of mind. We are highly social animals- and that is generally our #1 priority for the purpose of being human and making more of ourselves. We want to live in societies.

To paraphrase Charlie Chapman, "We want to live by each others’ happiness."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I'm guessing you are nowhere close to 35 then.
    yeah im not even 30 and i already catch myself saying "those darn kids" on occasion, and i'm biased enough towards tech to be on a forum like this.

i'm sure in 10 years ill have the same reaction to the next big thing as my parents had to email. ill get used it, rather then be an early excited adopter.

Deleted
    I like how some people here pressume there is no societal pressure if you are a mature well balanced adult.

There is always huge cultural pressure. You are made of the culture, and you reproduce it, knowing it or not.
    There are only a very few of what Nietzsche would call Overman. 99.9% are under influence and pressured. The degree or how direct that pressure is varies of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    But that still just you, don't assume everyone is like that.
    you can debate about when it happens, but society if full of examples that it does. and you don't go from early adopter to old grandma who don't know how to use a phone overnight either, it's gradual.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Peer pressure mostly. It's why you see regressives in such large groups these days. They are people that lack the ability to think for themselves and are too cowardly to not just agree with everything they perceive as "socially" acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    its just the way things go.

once you reach 35ish you reach the point where new technology is magic to you and you dont quite get it anymore, at that point you become one of those people who say "the kids these days, back in my day....".
    combine this with the fact that in general over time stuff always becomes easier and takes less effort, and old people get a bias when they compare how young people do something vs how they did it years ago, where they think a task takes a certain amount of effort, and you are doing less then that.

every generation will have something like that where middle aged adults will judge adolescents on a bunch of crap.

(similarly the age for music you like will always be around 20, when you had a lot of first experiences and the music you listened to had legit connections for you)
    Huh? I am almost 34 and my husband is 37 and we both understand technology. Nothing has come out that I do not understand. Even my parents who are 65 and 67 understand technology.

Continuing to enjoy certain consumer products past a certain age is hardly some grand expression of individualism. I mean, the comic book and video game companies might be targeting a certain demographic but they're happy to have your money at any age, well, so long as you don't scare off the normies with your creepy nerd behavior in public.