Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauthe View Post
    "also since 7.2 your bad luck protection has been based only on how many chances you've had in a particular spec since the last time you rolled a legendary in that spec; number of utility or cross-spec legendaries is irrelevant"

"once you have all the legendaries for a spec you no longer gain any BLP for that spec."

These statements are incorrect. I was still collecting enhancement legendaries (mainspec is resto) at 7.2. I would leave my main spec set to resto while raiding, M+, farming, whatever... since I don't really focus much on offspec gear. After 1.5 - 2 weeks (I basically farmed everything possible while I was legendary hunting), I would swap to offpsec for certain farm runs (EN/ToV Heroic, Norm, pluses I didnt want relics from etc) and would receive my offspec legendaries like clockwork.

I had collected all of my restoration legendaries PRIOR to patch 7.2.
    While that might be true, keep in mind, the statement that you no longer gain BLP for a spec that's capped can still be true in your scenario. Just because you did content on that spec for 2-3 weeks then swapped doesn't mean you were actually getting BLP. You might have just gotten lucky. I've watched several people in my guild get legendary items within 2-3 hours, which means the BLP between legendary items is incredibly small.

We will never know, but I tend to think that BLP is a giant pool that you get regardless of whether or not you're capped on legendaries on your main spec. Thankfully 7.2.5 allows you to get a random one, so the discussion goes away.

I did this for like 6 offspec legendaries... its not luck, its just how the system works. I witnessed this work time and time again for myself and several other people.

BLP is just an across the board roll modifier. The notion that they've somehow coded it otherwise is giving them too much credit. Anyone that's collect 2 sets of legedaries (or more) will agree with me.
    Last edited by Mauthe; 2017-06-11 at 06:55 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toijin View Post
    Weekly m+ cache immediately (for the quest to upgrade legendaries)
    1000 war supplies
    3 emissary dailies banked up
    save up emissary boxes if you want/to gamble if its worth anything
    Get paragon boxes but don't hand in quest to receive box
    Save nethershards for mythic ToS opening so new tf levels

Rumour has it BLP resets on patch, im unsure, but i hope not, with BLP banked up for 2 months (got all 10 legendaries)
    u cant be shure of that jfyi. who says u can bank BLP when u can't get a legendary for your specc anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrymobz View Post
    u cant be shure of that jfyi. who says u can bank BLP when u can't get a legendary for your specc anymore.
    according to a blue post a while back you cant. when you have all the legendaries for a spec you are done. no more blp for that spec.

There is no point stockpiling any kind of boxes right now, anything obtained prior to 7.2.5 will have 0% chance to drop a new legendary. The only thing you can do is to stockpile 1000 Legionfall war supplies and spend them once the patch is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    OK, so this should work to get some of you a leggo ring but it's going to be one hell of a gamble.

Save up 1,000 Legionfall resources.

Once 7.2.5 hits go cash them all in.

Swap to a spec you have NEVER USED.

This will give you the highest amount of Bad Luck Protection possible and greatly increase the chance of picking up a legendary. Your BLP doesn't really reset until after you score 2 so you can set your loot spec to healing/tanking/off-dps too and hit the mythic+ circuit, LFR, world bosses and even regular raids and world quests. Then once you have 2 swap to your 3rd spec if you've never touched it to hopefully score again.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Now let's hear everyone scream at me about how I'm wrong. :-)

Statistically and with RNG, you have a FAR greater chance of not getting the leg you want. VERY high chance you end up with one for an OS you wont use and end up wasting those. Better off trying to get a leg for your MS or by adding BLP to your MS thru those actions. Besides from the time between 7.2.5 and ToS-M opening you can easily earn a Leg or 2 for your MS.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    There is no point stockpiling any kind of boxes right now, anything obtained prior to 7.2.5 will have 0% chance to drop a new legendary. The only thing you can do is to stockpile 1000 Legionfall war supplies and spend them once the patch is released.
    There's exactly 0 evidence to strengthen your claim. Just like at the 7.1 patch where people claimed you could not get any new legendaries from stockpiled boxes (which you could) this time again the item ID of the emissary boxes, the paragon boxes and the boxes you can get from legion ressources did not change on the PTR from live.
    While it's obviously possible that they might change that in the final patches, my bet it the chance for that to happen is close to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    You can also save paragon loot quests.

If you can stockpile paragon caches x2, thats 14 caches, 1000 legionfall supplies = 10 more caches, then if you decide to save 3 emisarry caches that's another 3. So in total you chave 27 caches saved up/going into 7.2.5/ToS release.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    Statistically and with RNG, you have a FAR greater chance of not getting the leg you want. VERY high chance you end up with one for an OS you wont use and end up wasting those. Better off trying to get a leg for your MS or by adding BLP to your MS thru those actions. Besides from the time between 7.2.5 and ToS-M opening you can easily earn a Leg or 2 for your MS.
    It's about gambling with the hope of receiving something quickly.

Yes you have a better chance of receiving the leggo you WANT by staying in your main spec and you absolutely should stay in your main spec if you've received any utility leggos since that'll cancel the high BLP curve you've got for any other spec.

But it's about taking advantage of that curve in hopes that you'll receive one of the new rings in specific since that won't impact your saved BLP for your main spec to do unless you receive a utility leggo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Korban View Post
    If you never used that spec, don't you have a huge pool of potential Legendaries to get?

What are the odds you're gonna get the ring out of all other Legendaries that you don't have for that spec?
    You will, again it's about time investment to get a legendary with RNG stacked in your favor of one dropping. After that you've got something like a 1/15 chance or so of getting the ring.

You'll have a better chance of getting the ring in your main spec with a smaller pool certainly, but your BLP may be in such a place that it could take you a while.

This is low investment for a high variable reward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Why would that give you the highest bad luck protection? It would only give the bonus BLP for your first two legendaries usable in that spec, that means for example if you have sephuz and prydaz and then switch to a spec you have never used before your BLP on that spec is 0.
    While you might have built up BLP on your actual spec(s) since you got your last legendary there by simply playing the game.
    Because BLP is spec specific. Already covered that if you have two utility leggos that it's not worth trying this. The ring is a utility leggo so attempting to game the system this way is still a huge gamble where all you're trying to do is move the clock forward on getting your ring. That's all.

Also since it's spec dependent unless you roll a utility leggo it's not going to affect the BLP of your main spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    What does that mean? Hand in at the construction table? And then hope it drops from one of the 10 reward containers you get? Hmmmmm
    Yup. Exactly this.

Also you can save up some emissary caches and some emissary paragon cache turn-ins but the construction table has a pretty high chance of popping a leggo. (Different activities have different weights towards Leggo drop chances and possibly to the amount of BLP awarded.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    afaik if you have sephuz/heal neck/other shared legendaries, the bonus luck to a never used spec doesnt apply, since it counts those for that spec.

so you will just end up with having a chance to get ~10 legendaries on the never used spec, compared to 2 your main spec.
    This is correct, already covered that this method of attempting to game the system isn't worthwhile if you have 2 or more utility leggos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauthe View Post
    "also since 7.2 your bad luck protection has been based only on how many chances you've had in a particular spec since the last time you rolled a legendary in that spec; number of utility or cross-spec legendaries is irrelevant"

"once you have all the legendaries for a spec you no longer gain any BLP for that spec."

These statements are incorrect. I was still collecting enhancement legendaries (mainspec is resto) at 7.2. I would leave my main spec set to resto while raiding, M+, farming, whatever... since I don't really focus much on offspec gear. After 1.5 - 2 weeks (I basically farmed everything possible while I was legendary hunting), I would swap to offpsec for certain farm runs (EN/ToV Heroic, Norm, pluses I didnt want relics from etc) and would receive my offspec legendaries like clockwork.

I had collected all of my restoration legendaries PRIOR to patch 7.2, and completed my offspec collection a month or so ago.
    So this means that Blizzard was once again not forthcoming with how legendaries work? If that's true I'm not surprised. Last blue post I read said each spec earns BLP separately until gaining 2 legendaries in said spec, influenced by generic legendaries of course, and the BLP will build based off the amount of content you do since your last legendary, with nothing said about spec specific. They even went further against this by stating in 7.2.5 by stating if you were capped, BLP would still accrue and you will get a random one for another spec you aren't capped in.
    Now, there's a statement that it is spec specific.
    So based off that, being capped for BM legendaries and gaining BLP on MM, that won't count towards a new legendary on Tuesday? If that's true then that's pretty damn stupid.

Because BLP is spec specific. Already covered that if you have two utility leggos that it's not worth trying this. The ring is a utility leggo so attempting to game the system this way is still a huge gamble where all you're trying to do is move the clock forward on getting your ring. That's all.

Also since it's spec dependent unless you roll a utility leggo it's not going to affect the BLP of your main spec.
    Who doesn't have at least two spec independent legendaries by now when most "casual" raiders are short one or two legendaries from having all from their main spec, but on the other hand now suddenly care so much about getting the right one?

In some cases this won't work well, because what if you have all but 1 spec legendary? Or better yet, you have all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    So this means that Blizzard was once again not forthcoming with how legendaries work? If that's true I'm not surprised. Last blue post I read said each spec earns BLP separately until gaining 2 legendaries in said spec, influenced by generic legendaries of course, and the BLP will build based off the amount of content you do since your last legendary, with nothing said about spec specific. They even went further against this by stating in 7.2.5 by stating if you were capped, BLP would still accrue and you will get a random one for another spec you aren't capped in.
    Now, there's a statement that it is spec specific.
    So based off that, being capped for BM legendaries and gaining BLP on MM, that won't count towards a new legendary on Tuesday? If that's true then that's pretty damn stupid.
    I was only attempting to explain that currently, from what I've observed and experienced - You continue to build Bad Luck Protection regardless of being "capped" in whatever spec. But does that mean come Tuesday and 7.2.5, all the BLP I've built up over the past month+ is going to go towards the new legendaries? We'll have to wait and see.

However, I have a hard time imagining how you devise a system that works as it currently does. Then comes the patch and have none of the bad luck protection go towards the new legendaries.

Consider this: (Player A) Has spent over the past month running raids, M+, completing daily emissary caches, farming old content, etc, in a spec that they have received all available legendaries. Basically doing all the things to build up BLP. If (Player A) were to switch to a spec that they haven't received all the legendaries for, undoubtedly he would receive a legendary almost immediately from running any content that you receive legendaries from.

(Player B) is a much more casual player. He's rounded up lets say 5 legendaries for one spec. Lets pretend he's on the BRINK of getting a legendary when 7.2.5 is released. All of his protection is going to count towards his next legendary drop... which is going to include the newly released legendaries. Anything otherwise would be completely unfair.

If (Player A) were to decide to switch to that offspec post 7.2.5, and not go after the new legedaries for their main spec. They would be in the same position as (Player B) - Rolling on a pool of legendary items (including the new ones) with an amount of BLP.

You mean to tell me that somehow, since Player A was previously capped in a spec... they aren't going to receive any bad luck protection towards the new legendaries in their primary spec? That doesn't make any sense, or really even seem possible.
    Last edited by Mauthe; 2017-06-12 at 09:28 AM.

Feel free to disagree with me, but as far as I understood the BLP system, it works this way:
    The chance to get a legendary is compiled from two values: Base Drop Chance and Missrolls
    The Missrolls is spec unspecific. It gets bigger the more missed rolls on a legendary drop you have.
    The Base Drop Chance is determined by the amount of usable legendaries you have in a spec. I.e. it is different for each spec.
    The Drop Chance is the multiplication of both values. I.e. Base Drop Chance * Missrolls
    I want to clarify again, this is ONLY my understanding of how the system works.
    I base that understanding on the vague statements we got from Blizzard, my personal experience of how my guild mates and me acquired legendaries over the course of legion and my background in IT.

One thing we definitely don't know is, if Missrolls still accumulates when you are capped on legendaries, or if a legendary drop happens regularly but since you have them all you get nothing. I.e. Missrolls resets with no benefit. If it doesn't reset and the players kept gaining Missrolls, most likely the first legendary drop after the patch should occur pretty fast. If it did reset, changing now won't matter much. So what ever anyone was doing, keep doing it.

IF the system works as described, that would have some implications for 7.2.5:

If you want a legendary of a specific spec, stay in that loot spec. It should wield the highest chance to get said legendary. While it is in theory possible to get a neutral legendary faster by switching spec, the risk of getting the wrong legendary is getting higher as well.
    Gaming the system by switching to a different loot spec, opening some caches and then switch back to the target lootspec doesn't work at all.
    Since Missrolls is not spec dependent, there is no real benefit, but the real risk of getting an offspec legendary.

If you end up capped after 7.2.5 you should still switch to your preferred secondary spec if possible (relics/ trinkets make that sometimes impossible). You have more control which legendary you get that way and the aquisition should be faster.

If you are forced to switch to your capped spec, you don't loose your chance to get a legendary. Since the base chance is a lot lower, the chance to get a random spec legendary is a lot lower, than the chance to get a spec specific legendary. It is therefore more likely that you will get the legendary while in your secondary loot spec.
    Last edited by Geschan; 2017-06-12 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Changed variable name to clarify

OK, so this should work to get some of you a leggo ring but it's going to be one hell of a gamble.

Save up 1,000 Legionfall resources.

Once 7.2.5 hits go cash them all in.

Swap to a spec you have NEVER USED.

This will give you the highest amount of Bad Luck Protection possible and greatly increase the chance of picking up a legendary. Your BLP doesn't really reset until after you score 2 so you can set your loot spec to healing/tanking/off-dps too and hit the mythic+ circuit, LFR, world bosses and even regular raids and world quests. Then once you have 2 swap to your 3rd spec if you've never touched it to hopefully score again.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Now let's hear everyone scream at me about how I'm wrong. :-)
    Maybe it's just me, but the class legendary ring isn't worth all that if you already have good legendaries (and presumably anyone going to this level would). /shrug
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Geschan View Post
    Feel free to disagree with me, but as far as I understood the BLP system, it works this way:
    The chance to get a legendary is compiled from two values: Base Drop Chance and Missrolls
    The Missrolls is spec unspecific. It gets bigger the more missed rolls on a legendary drop you have.
    The Base Drop Chance is determined by the amount of usable legendaries you have in a spec. I.e. it is different for each spec.
    The Drop Chance is the multiplication of both values. I.e. Base Drop Chance * Missrolls
    I base that understanding on the vague statements we got from Blizzard, my personal experience of how my guild mates and me acquired legendaries over the course of legion and my background in IT.
    Could I know what background in IT can possibly give you a better understanding off an unknown formula composed of unknown amount of (mostly) unknown variables? I would argue that I make a decent living by working in this industry as well and I have none. I mean sure, it's likely to give you understanding of probability and statistics, however the model in question is still too undefined to draw some conclusions about it's behaviour.

The only thing you can known based on Blizzard's statements is that there likely is some "base drop chance" which for 3rd and any further legendary is constant... or it could be actually implemented totally different (e.g. the chance could be constant and lowered by a certain penalty, which itself is lowered whenever you "missroll").

My point is there is a number of ways to implement this and all you can do is just speculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    that was only on the very first patch, it never happened again after that.
    Wrong - it has happened at least 2 other times since that first time. The last time it happened was actually after a weekly maintenance and not even a patch if I remember correctly. At any rate, although they said it shouldn't affect emissary caches, there's a decent chance it gets screwed up and the emissaries reset, so you are taking a chance either way. I think it's better to just turn them in vs banking them, because all you lose by turning them in is the potential of a new legendary dropping vs you risk losing the caches altogether, plus the time spent on the WQ for them if you try and save them and the servers reset them.

Legendaries have been dropping at such a fast rate since 7.2 (I am at 19 total and have averaged one every 6 days since 7.2) that I don't see that much point in gaming them. You will likely get the 2 new ones for your spec within the first 2-3 weeks no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Geschan View Post

One thing we definitely don't know is, if Missrolls still accumulates when you are capped on legendaries, or if a legendary drop happens regularly but since you have them all you get nothing. I.e. Missrolls resets with no benefit. If it doesn't reset and the players kept gaining Missrolls, most likely the first legendary drop after the patch should occur pretty fast. If it did reset, changing now won't matter much. So what ever anyone was doing, keep doing it.

IF the system works as described, that would have some implications for 7.2.5:

If you want a legendary of a specific spec, stay in that loot spec. It should wield the highest chance to get said legendary. While it is in theory possible to get a neutral legendary faster by switching spec, the risk of getting the wrong legendary is getting higher as well.
    Gaming the system by switching to a different loot spec, opening some caches and then switch back to the target lootspec doesn't work at all.
    Since Missrolls is not spec dependent, there is no real benefit, but the real risk of getting an offspec legendary.

If you end up capped after 7.2.5 you should still switch to your preferred secondary spec if possible (relics/ trinkets make that sometimes impossible). You have more control which legendary you get that way and the aquisition should be faster.

If you are forced to switch to your capped spec, you don't loose your chance to get a legendary. Since the base chance is a lot lower, the chance to get a random spec legendary is a lot lower, than the chance to get a spec specific legendary. It is therefore more likely that you will get the legendary while in your secondary loot spec.
    I can't imagine they would set it up in such a way that you don't get full BLP when capped on legendaries when it comes to getting a random spec legendary you don't have. That would defeat the entire purpose of putting in the system in the first place - which is to not penalize people that are capped on main spec legendaries if they need to use their main spec loot spec for trinket/relics.

Based on the Information I see here so far, if you hoard caches and such you won't be able to get a new Leg with them. But exactly does happen when I open them when 7.2.5 arrives while having all old ones of the spec. Do I get a old one for a random offspec or will I just get nothing?