Motherboard replacement on Windows 10 inherited OEM license status.

I have a system originally having Windows Vista, and it being delivered with a free Windows 7 upgrade offer which I took advantage of.
    That has since been upgraded to Windows 10 via Microsoft's free offer.

Due to the original license being OEM, the subsequent ones have also been that.

My plan is to replace the CPU, RAM and Motherboard.
    I understand that because of the OEM license, that is considered a new computer and therefore in need of a new license.
    Does anyone have experience of this scenario, to confirm that.

Limited money to put aside, so I want to know this in advance of making the purchases.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-06-15 at 10:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Why are you asking something you already know the answer too?

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Why are you asking something you already know the answer too?
    Because some information I have seen is a bit conflicting or unclear.
    I believe it to be that way, but I am asking for confirmation.

All I want is a yes I need a new license, or no I do not.
    But it seems you have answered my question anyway.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Because some information I have seen is a bit conflicting or unclear.
    I believe it to be that way, but I am asking for confirmation.

All I want is a yes I need a new license, or no I do not.
    But it seems you have answered my question anyway.
    Do you feel like running Windows Vista again since thats the original key you have? I doubt you do.

Just get Windows 10 for 20$ from the usual sites.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Do you feel like running Windows Vista again since thats the original key you have? I doubt you do.

Just get Windows 10 for 20$ from the usual sites.
    I have no intention of using Vista again, I was just wanting to confirm that Windows 10 would re-activate with the replacement, or not (what I suspected, but wanted to ask).
    Buying the new license it will be then.

I have no intention of using Vista again, I was just wanting to confirm that Windows 10 would re-activate with the replacement, or not (what I suspected, but wanted to ask).
    Oh you can try that yes, there is a high chance Windows 10 -will- boot with the new motherboard without the need to format instantly, you can see then if it requires you to activate or not, high chance it will but you never know.

It will be safer to format and get a new cheap license either way in my opinion at least, but first plug it up, let it boot and see for yourself.

Deleted
    You simply just call Microsoft and have them give you a new OEM code, they're more than willing to help you 9 out of 10 times.

Win10 OEM is usually tied to your motherboard, so what you will have to do is just activate your license on your new computer. You will have to select upgraded items or something similar and you'll be fine. Also Win10 doesnt have any keys, its all in your windows login.

Deleted
    Did this last year. If you have _any_ of the license keys you should be able to whack that into the activation and it will register it. If not, just phone or use MS web chat and explain the situation and they will sort it out for you

I've been reactivating windows on different boards since like Windows XP or before that. If it errors it will give you the option to use their automated phone system, you go through that & it gives you a code to put in on the screen and away you go, it's all sorted.

Maybe you already followed through by now ant it's moot, but if you can afford the gamble on the off-chance it doesn't work, try it with the OEM license (once a license is upgraded to Windows 10 it's windows 10, so you don't have to worry about being rolled back to vista).

Twice I rolled the same OEM license over to a new motherboard by calling their phone support. They basically use the motherboard as their unique identifier for a computer because it's really the least likely to be swapped out individually but they still generally allow it on the premise that people can swap out a motherboard on an otherwise same-machine. You just have to be ready to accept the off-chance scenario that it doesn't work.

I buy retail now but that's really because I am a profoundly lazy person and I just don't want to deal with calling the automated line .