Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why do Americans pronounce words completely different?

And I don't mean accent variations... but words with a completely different pronunciation like:

Vitamin
    Aluminum
    Privacy
    Advertisement
    Tomato
    Mobile
    Garage

Deleted
    Same reason any other kind of dialect or accent exists....

Deleted
    Vitamin
    Privacy
    Mobile

I'm sitting here like a retard trying to pronounce those in a different way. What's the difference between American/British English on those?

Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post
    Vitamin
    Privacy
    Mobile

I'm sitting here like a retard trying to pronounce those in a different way. What's the difference between American/British English on those?
    Not sure about vitamin, but privacy with a short i similar to privy and mobile with the ile as aisle.

Deleted
    Vitamin
    Privacy
    Mobile

Same, I'm trying so hard but I can't. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Not sure about vitamin, but privacy with a short i similar to privy and mobile with the ile as aisle.
    What? 10char

Deleted
    Aloominum instead of Aluminium is a personal favourite.

Seriously, how do you get that word so wrong?

I'm most annoyed with words they take from other languages and then pronounce them like a 1st grader .. like "niche". No that word is not pronounced "nitch"..

Vitamin
    Privacy
    Mobile

Vitt-a-min / vite-a-min

Mo-bile / Mo-beel

Gar-ridge / Gar-rarge

Tom-ar-to / Tom-ay-to

Alum-in-ee-um / Aloom-in-um

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I'm most annoyed with words they take from other languages and then pronounce them like a 1st grader .. like "niche". No that word is not pronounced "nitch"..
    I blame the french for that one.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2016-01-17 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    And I don't mean accent variations... but words with a completely different pronunciation like:

Vitamin
    Aluminum
    Privacy
    Advertisement
    Tomato
    Mobile
    Garage
    Probably because we physically speak different. We use different parts of our head to make sounds. Linguistics are fun

Deleted
    Priv-acy
    Prive-acy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Probably because we physically speak different. We use different parts of our head to make sounds. Linguistics are fun
    But what caused that?

We actually spell it without the 'I' in -ium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much American pronunciation comes from their origins in West Country accents - they're basically country bumpkins.

The US have rhotic accents, which much of England stopped using prior to Columbus discovering America, that type of accent is still retained in the West Country, Scotland, etc.

Why do you say bath, book and film differently to me? We come from the same country, yet you pronounce them in a silly way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Why do you say bath, book and film differently to me? We come from the same country, yet you pronounce them in a silly way.
    Do I? I pronounce book like buck

Priv-acy
    Prive-acy

- - - Updated - - -

But what caused that?
    Probably a combination of being "seperated" for a few hundred years, the accents of those that came evolved on their own, and rebellion from the motherland's

Vitamin pretty sure the Brits pronounce it Vi-tuh-min, almost sounding like cinnamon.
    Privacy US is Pry-vacy, Brits I believe are prih-vacy, an ih sound kind of like live, as in don't tell me how to live me life.

Like other people have said, just a dialect. I think a much better explanation would be for cockney rhyming. That shit is messed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cause language variations and accents evolve over time, its not only Americans you'd find having some weird pronunciations of many words if compared to a brit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I? I pronounce book like buck
    I thought you lot use a long 'oo' sound, so boooook. Fillum, rather film, etc.

Vitamin
    Privacy
    Mobile

Vit-ah-min, mo-bile(instead of mo-bal), Priv-er-se.

Probably wrong! But it's what I remember it sounding like...
    Last edited by urasim; 2016-01-17 at 01:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by talwynn View Post
    Vitamin pretty sure the Brits pronounce it Vi-tuh-min, almost sounding like cinnamon.
    Privacy US is Pry-vacy, Brits I believe are prih-vacy, an ih sound kind of like live, as in don't tell me how to live me life.

Like other people have said, just a dialect. I think a much better explanation would be for cockney rhyming. That shit is messed up.
    EDIT MISREAD Doh

Because our giant military-peen says we can.

Seriously though. Our English isn't the same as yours. Just as Mexican Spanish is not the same as Spanish...er....Spanish.

Not sure why it bothers you so much, but it's sure as shit fun to watch you guys gnash your teeth at something you can do fuck all about.