Poll: Which do you like better?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Which Universe is better? Marvel or DCU?

DCU is a bit gritter and has much darker writing than Marvel with much less notable heroes than Marvel. Marvel includes more humor than dark plotlines in their story and have more notable heroes and villains than DCU.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    The MCU is objectively better.

I say that as someone who cares nothing for comic books/super heroes.

As comics, both are pretty much equal.

Cinematic universe, Marvel takes the cake and also eats DCCU's muffins.

DC tends to do better animated stuff though.

I can't speak to the comic book side of things. Movie/show wise I think it would be hard to argue at all that Marvel isn't better. I would say that it's because they had more time to flesh things out but I haven't been impressed with DC's attempts. Then they talk about making a Batman movie that has no bearing on the DCU...I mean really?

10+ Year Old Account
    The best way to describe the differences that I've ever heard is that DC's books are more about gods trying to be human, and Marvel's more about humans trying to be Gods.

I tend to prefer Marvel, since I find it a more appealing kind of arc. A lot of DC's "best" heroes are difficult to empathize with because of their inhumanity. Their stories are more about spectacle than character.

This is why the Marvel extended MCU (including the TV stuff) is so engaging. We see these folks as people, first and foremost. Even Thor, the literal alien god, seems more "real" and grounded than DC's current Superman in film.

Even the cases where DC has characters that are ostensibly human, like Batman, they tend to dehumanize them where they can. Batman's borderline insane. For Batman, Batman is his real identity, Bruce Wayne is the fake face. He freaks out a lot of his colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    Movie/show wise I think it would be hard to argue at all that Marvel isn't better. I would say that it's because they had more time to flesh things out but I haven't been impressed with DC's attempts. Then they talk about making a Batman movie that has no bearing on the DCU...I mean really?
    That is just the thing. Marvel didn't set out to do a huge cinematic universe with a 20 year plan.

First they just did the Iron Man. It was a successful movie that warranted a sequel.

The Incredible Hulk wasn't as big success, but having Rober Downey Jr. cameoing in the post credits scene caused some positive buzz.

At Iron-Man 2 they finally started to truly fresh out multiple interconnected movies and literally dropped the Hammer at us in the post credits scene. At this point they were ready to head towards the Avengers movie and after that the interconnected movie universe was a proven success so they could keep expanding it.

The slow build up and character's individual movies helped to both built the world, set up the characters and make the first Avengers movie a Really Big Thing.

DCEU tried to jumpstart the whole thing by going straight into movies with multiple heroes (hell I'm amazed that they didn't try to start with Justice League...) There is no build up and no set up for these versions of the characters. Only Superman had had one movie, with somewhat mixed reviews when they suddenly dump him into a movie to fight Batman. Aaaand they also dropped Wonder Woman in because why not. Doesn't help that before Wonder Woman (movie), the DCEU movies weren't even that good to begin with.

As it stands in this generation with the MCU and DCU Marvel takes the cake but if you want to delve deeper and talk about/include comic books then i dont think this forum could handle it, it would just end up being a marvel/dc fanboi standoff.

Marvel is my and has always been my thing since the 70's but lets not forget Frank Millers The Dark Knights returns and Alan Moores The killing Joke (probably the top 2 memorable storys most people will recognize) they were and still are as the internet says 'masterpieces'.

I have respect for DC i just wish the movies was doing better...too many wrong choices in there movies but that is my opinion.

Dark Horse or Image Comics, obviously.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-09-29 at 05:13 PM.

For comics, it...depends, really. Both have great characters, and which is "better" really just depends on who is writing which book at any given time. If I like the writing, a character I wouldn't have had any interest in can be great(Aquaman is a perfect example, as his run was one of the highlights of New 52, and is STILL going strong), while a writer I dislike can make me have no interest in characters I might otherwise love(for example, one surefire way to keep me away from a book is to see that fucking Bendis is writing it, no matter how much I might otherwise like the character).

Right now, let me see, I'm reading the following Marvel books:Captain America:Steve Rogers(and will presumably keep reading Cap whenever he returns to his own title as good guy Cap and not Hydra Cap), Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Thor(might drop this one), Black Panther(might drop this one), Moon Knight(if it's still going that is. Lemire left and said they were ending it "because their story was finished", so I don't know if that means the series itself is ending or just Lemire's run on it), All-New Wolverine, Hawkeye:Kate Bishop, Gwenpool, and Punisher. Was reading Silk too but it ended earlier this year.

From DC, I'm currently reading Batman, All-Star Batman, Detective Comics, Batgirl(might drop this one), Titans(might drop this one), Aquaman, Injustice, and Supergirl. Justice League sucked with Bryan Hitch writing so I dropped it, but he's being replaced by Christopher Priest soon so I will probably pick it up again.

So currently, that's 10(9, if Moon Knight is actually cancelled) Marvel books I'm reading(with 2 I might drop) vs 8(with 2 I might drop) for DC. So for now, I'm reading more Marvel, but if you look at my collection overall, I own more DC, and if I were to choose based on which company had the most runs I truly loved, DC would win no contest.

As far as movies go, Marvel fucking dominates. DC takes the animated market. Marvel wins live action television too, but mainly cause I liked Daredevil(and hope to like The Punisher) while I don't care for any of the DC shows.
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2017-09-29 at 08:18 PM.

In terms of Movies and also TV to a large degree, Marvel is much better. But I like both of them.

Whichever company has better writers and/or editors or executives who aren't thinking of out of their butts.

This is probably DC at the moment. This could change in 3-12 months time.

DC had the better animated universe. Now both companies are shitting the bed in animated series while DC still makes great animated movies. I would say the comics are tied but Marvel is leading in the movie arena.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    DC

Better animated universe
    Better TV series*
    Better video games
    Better comics

Marvel

Superior movies

Make Mine DC!

The CW series might be considered "cannon", but I enjoy them more than agents.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    Marvel has Guardians of the Galaxy, some of my favourite movies ever.

Easy choice.

Also Tony Stark.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    While Marvel has the Netflix shows, which outside of Jessica Jones haven't really seem to have blown people away
    I've seen far more praise for Daredevil than I have for JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    IMO it depends on what aspect of which format you are looking at.

In movies, for example, Marvel is far ahead critically. Not surprising given that Marvel films tend to be more lighthearted family-fun fare. Financially, however, the two movie universes are performing similarly. Particularly when comparing each movie to where it is in it's universe's development.

But from a comic perspective there's no denying that the 60's-mid 80's were Marvel time to shine. Since then, however, it's been all DC pretty much as Marvel began to opt for style over substance. From the mid-80's on, when you think of groundbreaking titles or storylines it's almost exclusively DC that makes the list (not counting for Dark Horse or Image titles, as well). From Elseworlds to Vertigo, Starman to a plethora of amazing Batman stories ... DC has consistently taken chances and innovated in it's writing while Marvel has pretty much stagnated from a storytelling PoV. The Great Darkness Saga, Hellblazer, Red Son, Transmetropolitan, Preacher (best comic show on TV as well IMO), Killing Joke and on and on and on ... Marvel just has nothing to compare of any substance (Marvel Zombies was fun, however).

When you look at TV I tend to think DC comes out on top as well. No one doubts that in the animation department DC has blown Marvel away, but in live-action DC has numerous shows on the CW with multiple seasons under their belt and all are pretty well-loved. While Marvel has the Netflix shows, which outside of Jessica Jones haven't really seem to have blown people away though most of them do tend to be well regarded. Gotham and Agents are a push, IMO Marvel also has it's first full-on critical flop on TV in Inhumans but it may also have a game-changer in The Gifted if that is as well as it looks to be. Plus there's excitement for Cloak and Dagger which had an amazing trailer.

In the end, it's all personal preference but I think it's safe to say that Marvel is ahead in movies, DC in comics, and DC has a slight edge in TV but that could change soon.
    Pretty much spot on to me.
    I think Marvel has developed the same problem that DC once had; lack of any consistent world/universe. (DC wisely kept all the media formats separate)
    And then add the shitty way Marvel deals with trying to ahere to one overarching system by tying together the various formats of television, movie and comics, it then becomes a big mess. For some, they can pick and choose what they want. But it really is just too much a confusing tangle really. And then there's the amazing amount of retconning that makes anyone taking a few months off exclaiming "WTF?" (Who the hell is Blue Marvel?) And it all adds to the mess especially when it's poorly written mess to begin with.

i don't read comic books so i'm just going by movies and tv shows and Marvel wins in that department for me.
    i don't really like Super Man or Batman.. Arrow is an Ok show but the rest are kind of meh.. especially that Legends one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marvel on all fronts except cartoons. For most of the reasons Endus said, DC's main-line heroes are often difficult to connect with, Marvel's are not. DC's B-line heroes however are pretty great though, much more humanity and much less god-hood. I suspect DC's lack of connectable characters is why their movies are regularly less successful than Marvel's. DC cartoons are pretty great though.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    DCU is a bit gritter and has much darker writing than Marvel with much less notable heroes than Marvel. Marvel includes more humor than dark plotlines in their story and have more notable heroes and villains than DCU.
    The reverse used to be true.

Marvel have better movies so far. But I prefer DC with everything else