Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    The people who said this is unjust should go read the texts between them. I'm sure you'll change your mind. She wasn't just telling him to kill himself. She was consistently encouraging a depressed person to kill themselves. She brought it up a lot without him mentioning. He also got out of the car before dying because he was scared. She then encouraged him to go back into the car and finish the suicide

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

Can you please just stop attacking me personally and just discuss the legal issues? Would that be ok now?
    Listen amigo. You don't get to play the victim card when you troll. If you are going to ignore sound sourcing and argument. I've laid out now that by definition her texts demonstrate conduct, conduct is just another word for action.

IF that is your only issue with the case, (and you've said it is) you should have no other choice but to concede that justice was served and there is no slippery slope precedent being set. IF you do continue to argue just for the sake of it. Then you're being stubborn, and I've grown tired of you. I'm sure Michelle is happy to have someone in her corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    I do have a huge problem with this sentiment, however.

That is all.
    You have a huge problem with someone thinking it should never be okay to tell someone to kill themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Conduct: Behavior that an shows in reactions and inaction.
    http://thelawdictionary.org/conduct/

ac·tion
    ˈakSH(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: action

the fact or process of doing something, typically to achieve an aim.
    "he vowed to take tougher action against persistent offenders"
    synonyms: measures, steps, activity, movement, work, operation
    "the need for local community action"

a thing done; an act.

"she frequently questioned his actions"
    synonyms: deed, act, move, undertaking, exploit, maneuver, endeavor, effort, exertion; behavior, conduct, activity

con·duct
    noun
    noun: conduct
    ˈkänˌdəkt/

the manner in which a person behaves, especially on a particular occasion or in a particular context.
    "the conduct of the police during the riot"
    synonyms: behavior, performance, demeanor; More
    actions, activities, deeds, doings, exploits;
    habits, manners;
    formalcomportment
    "they complained about her conduct"
    the action or manner of managing an activity or organization.
    "his conduct of the campaign"
    synonyms: management, running, direction, control, supervision, regulation, administration, organization, coordination, orchestration, handling
    "the conduct of the elections"

verb
    verb: conduct; 3rd person present: conducts; past tense: conducted; past participle: conducted; gerund or present participle: conducting
    kənˈdəkt/

organize and carry out.
    "in the second trial he conducted his own defense"
    synonyms: manage, direct, run, administer, organize, coordinate, orchestrate, handle, control, oversee, supervise, regulate, carry out/on
    "the election was conducted lawfully"

behave in a specified way.
    "he conducted himself with the utmost propriety"
    synonyms: behave, act, acquit oneself, bear oneself; formal comport oneself
    "I am proud of the way they conducted themselves"

be·hav·ior

bəˈhāvyər/
    noun
    noun: behaviour; noun: behavior

the way in which one acts or conducts oneself, especially toward others.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we observe Michelle Carter's behavior? Yes we can.

How? Through her texts.

behavior = conduct = action
    I didn't write what you quoted me as saying - you did. Please amend that.

You make a good point, and I think this is part of what convinced the judge to rule the way he did. We're still looking for a case in which someone was convicted of a murder charged based on words alone - specifically dealing with a "forced" suicide.

But we're still left with the idea that words are actions, and therefore can be used as the "action" in the definition of murder. The case the judge used in his ruling has some very good points about Duty of Care and how they impact Ms. Carter's words when she was dealing with

She has got a LOT of forehead.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Listen amigo. You don't get to play the victim card when you troll. If you are going to ignore sound sourcing and argument. I've laid out now that by definition her texts demonstrate conduct, conduct is just another word for action.

IF that is your only issue with the case, (and you've said it is) you should have no other choice but to concede that justice was served and there is no slippery slope precedent being set. IF you do continue to argue just for the sake of it. Then you're being stubborn, and I've grown tired of you. I'm sure Michelle is happy to have someone in her corner.
    Accusations of trolling are punishable by infractions in this forum, please refrain from that behavior in the future.

I'm arguing a point. You're arguing the other side. How is this not the very reason to have a forum in the first place? If you're tired of arguing, that's fine. Go somewhere else - we don't care.

And I've pointed out several times I hope Michelle diaf. Just so we're clear. Amigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post

This was posted right after he killed himself. Fuck her and anyone that defends her.
    Yeah, agreed. Actions like this indicate willful intent to me, not that she was under the influence of a substance.

Along with her "oh shit, cops found my texts, I'm fucked" messages to her friend.

She knew what she was doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    justice has been served.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    You have a huge problem with someone thinking it should never be okay to tell someone to kill themselves?
    What's unclear about it?.
    "Drink bleach!" is nasty but hardly a credible encouragement.

I have a huge problem with using the power of the law to enforce what you think is too mean to say to somebody, yes.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Deleted
    I have a huge problem with using the power of the law to enforce what you think is too mean to say to somebody, yes.
    I suppose you could draw some kind of compromise at it being legal, but not socially OK?.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah, agreed. Actions like this indicate willful intent to me, not that she was under the influence of a substance.

Along with her "oh shit, cops found my texts, I'm fucked" messages to her friend.

She knew what she was doing.
    I still can't believe she actually tweeted that - that's above and beyond crazy. I mean, I know I'm arguing the legal side of her verdict being overturned, but that's just the legal side. Morally, she should be in jail for life.

There exists no country in the world where you are free to say whatever you want to without legal consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    I suppose you could draw some kind of compromise at it being legal, but not socially OK?.
    Of course. Telling someone to kill themselves is a dick move. "Being a dick" should not be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    There exists no country in the world where you are free to say whatever you want to without legal consequences.
    Stow it. Not interested in a debate on exactly how Orwellian you think society should be.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Yeah I had interpreted the poster as saying "This shouldn't ever be viewed as an acceptable thing to do" not "I think it should be made illegal to be mean to someone ever" because that's obviously a fucking retarded thing to say

Probably because; while I will concede they said "Good" to the outcome of this court case; they went on to say they didn't think telling another person to kill themselves should ever be okay. While that could be interpreted either way; I think you'd be stretching it to decide it refered to "being too mean".

I wouldn't have a problem with it being illegal to tell another person to kill themselves, either vocally or in written form. Sure its kind of authoritarian. Very few people want real unfettered liberty anyway
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2017-06-16 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You may have, but you've also lied. I asked to, politely, to remove the quote you said but attributed to me. Could you please do so now?

It's this post by you: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...9#post46140969

You said those things. Not me. Thank you.

Stow it. Not interested in a debate on exactly how Orwellian you think society should be.
    Making it illegal to say things that are hurtful, defamatory or inciting is not orwellian.

Yeah I had interpreted the poster as saying "This shouldn't ever be viewed as an acceptable thing to do" not "I think it should be made illegal to be mean to someone ever" because that's obviously a fucking retarded thing to say

Probably because; while I will concede they said "Good" to the outcome of this court case; they went on to say they didn't think telling another person to kill themselves should ever be okay. While that could be interpreted either way; I think you'd be stretching it to decide it refered to "being too mean".

I wouldn't have a problem with it being illegal to tell another person to kill themselves, either vocally or in written form. Sure its kind of authoritarian. Very few people want real unfettered liberty anyway
    The person I quoted linked a case of a young woman using inciteful language with harmful intent to, quote, "telling people to kill themselves all the time as a joke, just off the cuff", and implied that people who do so should be fearful of facing the same legal repercussions. That's not a stretch, that's precisely what they said.

And, I disagree with you. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Making it illegal to say things that are hurtful, defamatory or inciting is not orwellian.

You clearly do not know what orwellian means.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that because you think it's mean to tell someone to kill themselves. If that then becomes illegal, you arrive at the position of deciding what is in fact "too mean" as a legal definition. I guess we already have something of the sort for "hate speech", but that doesn't usually enter into heated arguments or something like this could.