Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

EU will restrict visas for states not taking back migrants

The European Union states decided on Friday to restrict visas for foreign countries that refuse to take back their nationals who have no right of asylum in Europe.

The EU is cracking down on immigration following a spike in arrivals across the Mediterranean since 2014.

Italy is now the main gateway to the bloc and most of those reaching European shores after boarding smugglers' boats in Africa are considered illegal labor migrants.

Some countries, including Bangladesh and Nigeria, are often reluctant to readmit their citizens and the EU has recently doubled down on efforts to expedite such returns.

During a two-day meeting in Brussels, the bloc's 28 leaders agreed to use "all possible levers, including... reassessing visa policy toward third countries".

"We can use visas to convince them to take returns," said a senior EU diplomat, adding the move would, among other things, target the ruling elites of these countries as they can afford trips to Europe.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the EU's trade agreements with African countries should also be part of the effort.

EU states remain at loggerheads over how to handle refugees who make it into the bloc, yet they have decided to gloss over the issue after two years of divisive feuds.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eu-restri...163211018.html

Finally something is happening! We should sanction the hell out of those countries!

Deleted
    shouldn't have let them in in the first place

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well instead of killing people at sea (which is what you are suggesting) we can actually do what is suggested here and send them back home. Make the message clear enough and they will stop coming. Noone is willing to risk their lives and everything they own to go somewhere if it is clear they will be detained and soon after returned from wherever they came.
    same can be said if they would know they would be turned away and can die!!! let stupid kill themselfs, the world is better without those who put themselfs in dangerous situations and wanting to deceive countries instead of applying for visas for staying there!! nobody will come if they know they wont be let in and risk dying!!!
    Last edited by mmocb949c9f970; 2017-06-25 at 03:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dream View Post
    same can be said if they would know they would be turned away and can die!!! let stupid kill themselfs, the world is better without those who put themselfs in dangerous situations and wanting to deceive countries instead of applying for visas for staying there!! nobody will come if they know they wont be let in and risk dying!!!
    Considering they are already risking their lifes by coming here i can't see your logic working out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Well instead of killing people at sea (which is what you are suggesting) we can actually do what is suggested here and send them back home. Make the message clear enough and they will stop coming. Noone is willing to risk their lives and everything they own to go somewhere if it is clear they will be detained and soon after returned from wherever they came.
    A presumably better option might have been to rescue them at sea, and then taking them back to Libya instead of Italy.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    A presumably better option might have been to rescue them at sea, and then taking them back to Libya instead of Italy.
    Is Libya even considered safe?

I'm all for sending them home once caught, but not if doing so is a death sentence.

Good.

The world needs to know that even though european countries send a lot of money in aid to other countries, doesn't mean we're to be viewed as ATM's for people from said countries. The waves of healthy, young men making their way here now from African countries in economic and social growth just to seek fortune seems to have spurred our politicians a bit.

Enough is enough, it's not our (Sweden's and Germany's in particular) job to give away our countries to economic immigrants. I saw some figures suggesting that only about 4% of the people making it here, are actual refugees... That's a scary thought indeed. The real refugees should obviously be allowed to stay, following the asylum laws of course, but the issue right now is that bleeding hearts want everyone making here to stay permanently regardless of where they came from or why. These same people also want us to open our "borders and hearts" to the world...

Yeha, no. We don't need a Rome situation in modern times.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-06-25 at 04:46 PM.

Deleted
    I don't think that would be legal though. You need to first prove they came from Libya or that they are Libyan to take them there. Plus while it might work for Italy and Libya, it might be harder for Greece and Turkey.
    We know they didn't originate from Italy.
    to a certain degree, the rest is immaterial.
    As for Greece-Turkey we have a deal with them to take refugees.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Considering they are already risking their lifes by coming here i can't see your logic working out.
    because they lie to be considered refugees

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    The European Union states decided on Friday to restrict visas for foreign countries that refuse to take back their nationals who have no right of asylum in Europe.

The EU is cracking down on immigration following a spike in arrivals across the Mediterranean since 2014.

Italy is now the main gateway to the bloc and most of those reaching European shores after boarding smugglers' boats in Africa are considered illegal labor migrants.

Some countries, including Bangladesh and Nigeria, are often reluctant to readmit their citizens and the EU has recently doubled down on efforts to expedite such returns.

During a two-day meeting in Brussels, the bloc's 28 leaders agreed to use "all possible levers, including... reassessing visa policy toward third countries".

"We can use visas to convince them to take returns," said a senior EU diplomat, adding the move would, among other things, target the ruling elites of these countries as they can afford trips to Europe.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the EU's trade agreements with African countries should also be part of the effort.

EU states remain at loggerheads over how to handle refugees who make it into the bloc, yet they have decided to gloss over the issue after two years of divisive feuds.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/eu-restri...163211018.html

Finally something is happening! We should sanction the hell out of those countries!
    You are going to sanction countries that are already 3rd world shitholes? Thus INCREASING the amount of people to flee them. Good plan dumbass.....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    That depends on the safety status of libya and a bunch of laws/treaties, i don't think this is currently an option, i could be wrong of course.

- - - Updated - - -

because they lie to be considered refugees
    Ok, and that has what to do with risking their lifes?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    That depends on the safety status of libya and a bunch of laws/treaties, i don't think this is currently an option, i could be wrong of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, and that has what to do with risking their lifes?
    they know they will be let in? thats what

15+ Year Old Account
    they know they will be let in? thats what
    The ones organizing the life threatening trips would still tell them that, or either the trips become even more life threatening because they would need to go further.

Deleted
    The ones organizing the life threatening trips would still tell them that, or either the trips become even more life threatening because they would need to go further.
    you think they are without access to internet for news? wtf are you? racist of low expectations? think they can't check for themselfs?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Is Libya even considered safe?

I'm all for sending them home once caught, but not if doing so is a death sentence.
    it might seem a cruel stance, but you are not entitled to a fluffy life on earth and also a crime ridden country is still considered a "safe enough country", if it comes to deportation. to illustrate the stance: not even afghanistan with bomb attacks left and right is unsafe by that definition; it would be your own duty to examine where to stay safe and move your butt to a more secure province if you are not so satisfied.

to answer your question: Libya is considered safe, because nobody is entitled to rainbows and milk and honey per human rights.

Deleted
    Hopefully that'll get things in motion a bit better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post

Things have been happening for years or do you think the decline that we have seen over this period just took place out of nowhere?

Also your second comment equally intelligent, adding in economic sanctions would further more encourage people to risk their life to travel into Europe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    it might seem a cruel stance, but you are not entitled to a fluffy life on earth and also a crime ridden country is still considered a "safe enough country", if it comes to deportation. to illustrate the stance: not even afghanistan with bomb attacks left and right is unsafe by that definition; it would be your own duty to examine where to stay safe and move your butt to a more secure province if you are not so satisfied.

to answer your question: Libya is considered safe, because nobody is entitled to rainbows and milk and honey per human rights.
    sweden deems afghanistan safe enough to deport to, says internal flight should apply before fleeing internationally

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matoni View Post
    sweden deems afghanistan safe enough to deport to, says internal flight should apply before fleeing internationally
    germany stopped the last deportation flight and the one before, but just because our own embassy in Kabul was damaged in the bomb blast late in may and is still not operational to assist in the deportation process locally. if you are rejected ( for whatever reason) your deportation is just on hold, not on moratorium.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-06-25 at 06:35 PM.

If they all got sent back and turned away and died at sea they would stop coming.
    They have no right to recolonize europe, or america.