Where To Build For No Static?

Hey, so as you guys may know, in another thread I asked for help picking parts since I'll be making my first build soon. And I'm making a separate thread for a new title since this is a question that might help other people who wouldn't necessarily read other build threads but may have questions about this.

Anyway, my question is where I should build my PC so that I don't have static discharge and mess up the parts. The scary thing is I read somewhere that the parts don't necessarily get bricked, but their lifespans shorten unbeknownst to the static person.

So my questions:

1. Do I really need one of those anti-static wristbands? Or can I just touch the case? What have you done? My only concern is what I attach the wristband too. I'm not even sure attaching it to the case itself is actually effective, and what I read about grounding it with an alternating current in an outlet was just scary. Only like 1/4 of the build videos I saw had people use one.

2. It's summer in NY right now. I have the central air [conditioner] running in the whole house. Should I shut it off and open the windows? Or is AC better (it keeps the house cooler, at least). I read somewhere that "relative humidity" matters so winter is bad, but ??? I'm not a weather expert.

3. What kind of surface should I be working on? In one of the videos I saw, this guy had a rubber mat like thing to place his mother board on. I...don't have that.
    There are two primary locations in my house I'm considering:

A) The Dining Room table (I'll move the rug and placemats):

The floor is wood and the table is wood. But I heard wood is staticy...I think...idk.

B) The kitchen "island"

The floor is...tiles...and the countertop is granite.

Which one is better to work on? And should I be looking for rubber or some other surface material?

(4. I already know that rugs and socks are bad.)

The kitchen Island should be fine. Attaching the wrist wrap to your chassis with your psu mounted and plugged in should be sufficient. If you're really worried about ESD, puchase something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-021-_-Product It will do the trick, this also serves as a nice surface to build on so you wont scratch your chassis or that nice granite counter.

Another suggestion, if you don't touch open traces you will be fine. keep your fingers on the PCB of the CPU when you go to mount it in the MoBo. Dont want fingers near the top nor bottom.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    1) Not really. I typically use one if I'm doing something tedious for a prolonged time or messing with someone else's computer (don't really want to put myself at fault for someone else's hardware). As long as you aren't dancing on carpet with sockets though you really don't have to have one. Just be mindless of what you're touching. No needed to rub your hands over most of the motherboard, for example. The risk of static shock is pretty slim in most cases. Wrist band is just a precaution. You can even touch your faucet or something on occasion to ground yourself which could help a little if you're paranoid.

2) I live in Georgia and have the AC running constantly while I used to also open windows on nice days before my current apartment. It gets pretty hot and humid here. You're good either way. Just don't leave your PC next to an open window while it's raining (Yes I've seen it happen).

3) Doesn't really matter. Either's fine. It's just not recommended to work on carpet is all because is makes the slim chance of static shock ever so slightly higher.

First builds can be intimidating and seeing specific instances of something bad happening can make it even worse, but truthfully this stuff rarely happens and as long as you handle your hardware with care you'll be fine. You're probably more likely to get a DoA part than to fall victim to static electricity. Hardware itself is even more robust than people think. Just don't go drilling holes through tracers or anything and you'll be perfectly fine.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    I built my buddies PC on carpet and it was fine. But if you're that worried I'd just go with the kitchen island

10+ Year Old Account
    Static really isn't a problem honestly.

I built my pc on a carpet. It's fine, other than the cat hair.

The only time I really worry about static any sort of amount is the winter months. I've worked on computers for a while now without anti-static wrist wraps and pads. If I store something or take a component out I will put it in an anti-static bag. Never had an issue though. I usually just ground myself occasionally if I get up from working on one before I sit back down.

I remember the first computer I ever built I was in boxers on linoleum at my kitchen table at 3 am lol. Super stressed about it. put it together and got super pissed when it wouldn't budge. Not even power. Thought I fried something because I didn't use the anti-static stuff correctly. Went to bed angry, 5 minutes later woke up and remembered I forgot to flip the power switch on the power supply lol due to the stress of fucking it up. Worked like a charm.
    Last edited by EyelessCrow; 2017-06-23 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamkiller View Post
    The kitchen Island should be fine. Attaching the wrist wrap to your chassis with your psu mounted and plugged in should be sufficient. If you're really worried about ESD, puchase something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-021-_-Product It will do the trick, this also serves as a nice surface to build on so you wont scratch your chassis or that nice granite counter.
    Note that you still have to ground the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    Note that you still have to ground the mat.
    To ground yourself yes, however, the mat will keep you and the chassis or what ever is on the mat at ~ the same floating voltage. For the most part, this will work as there wont be any large amounts of discharge. Safest bet is to either mount your supply or just put your supply on the mat will it plugged in. Not the best ground but 15 ohms really shouldn't allow a heavy charge to build.