Thinking of Monking

I've always had this itch to try monk but always got caught up with my Druid and Hunter. Whenever I wanted to go to Monk it seemed like it wasn't in a great place, however now I kind of want a break from my druid as to not burn out on him.

Currently maining feruardian(feral/guardian) and for monk I was considering going BrM as my primary and can't seem to decide on WW or MW. Heals would be cool to do and get away from tanking or dps.

How is Monk right now in its current rolls? Is tanking strong, and most importantly engaging/fun?

I rarely ever see WW monks in dungeons or raids? Is it just not that great right now or are you all evading me?

How is MW? It seems like its a cool concept to healing, but I feel like whenever I'm tanking on my bear the heals don't seem to be as potent or powerful as Resto sham or druids etc(or it could be that the MW I did get were new/undergeared etc).

I apologize if these questions are whack or common knowledge. I just came back recently from a 7-8 month break and in that time a great many things can change and I don't know anyone personally who is a monk.

Thanks guys n gals :3

Deleted
    I don't raid, just do some m+. I main BM (910, 55traits) and like it, dislike the output of my WW (54traits) but like the gameplay (visuals, skills, etc.) and find it ok to heal casual raids (top-1 raids for my guild or LFR) as MW (52 traits).
    I tried pala (905ilvl, 52*3 traits), dk (905ilvl, 52*3 traits), drood (900ilvl, 52*2 traits), warrior (900ilvl, 49*3 traits). The closest in tanking-fun was warrior - intercepting around, bouncing, ignoring sh*t-tons of pains, etc. but always felt squishy compared to monkey. Especially when your IP gets eaten up quickly and your major CDs are used up. You never get that with monk. Compared to bear, DK or pala (got the speed boots on both), you are a mobile rocket as monkey. Your self-heals will be laughable at first, but when you get to the point of play when you know how to pool orbs (or mostly your healer knows how to let you spawn them, to save some mana of his own) - it's pretty much ok. You will always need a healer if you don't faceroll though.
    BM gameplay to me is MUCH better than any other tank in WoW. Smash their faces with your KegS, Breathe their assess off with fire, empower your TPs with BoK ... or do you need to empower your KS to shorten Brews more now? or do you need to empower your IsB to stop stagger for a moment? or do you need your BoF CD quicker for another pack and you empower that? You answer this question every 2-3 seconds You only have 3 long cds to plan, so you really juggle your BoCombo usage instead. Then some freight-train moment comes your way and you just Fort it or ZenMed or just purify and it's gone - never existed.
    If only SDelivery wasn't worse output-wise than spinning-personal-aoe-threat-green-wall-of-dmg-you-always-press-on-cd shit, it'd be osom.

MW as OS - you won't have the regular output of a restodrood, but you can outshine them from time to time. I never regret taking good MWs to m+ runs. Our guild's main healadin switched to MW recently and says he doesn't look back now. Just try it.

What I can promise you - all the specs are much more engaging than hunter-gameplay (and I have a special place in my heart for my hunter, as it was my first ever char in WoW)

WWer monks are a ton of fun to play. Not much RNG in our rotation, but it stays interesting trying to manage chi / energy / hit combos. WW has been in a bad places for most of this expansion but we just saw a bunch of buffs which were a start. One thing that is kind of nice for new monks is WW scaling isn't good, so at lower ilvls you should be performing better than similarly geared players of other classes. As your ilvl increases this will revers however.

Even though my monk has the highest ilvl of all my healer alts (shaman, druid) I find it the least satisfying. This isn't to say it isn't strong, I just don't find the play style as enjoyable.

I find BM to also be a lot of fun. Tsharna summed it up pretty good.

As a fellow "feruardian" (and also "armfurataction") WW gameplay feels very lacking and slow. I understand completely why some people absolutely adore this gameplay, but not me. Feral druid is more complex and more fun in my opinion.

I'm BRM tho. BRM is fun, especially after snooze-fest that is guardian druid. Bear tank is probably the most boring spec (not even just tanking) in the entire game, but it does it's work and still tier 1 tank in the game even after the nerfs (and they weren't even that bad tbh). But you would need a lot of time to actually get a hold on brm after bear, it's very different.
    I have pretty much every tanking spec (except DH) in the game geared 900+ and I would rank then like this:

Performance
    Bear >> Brewmaster >= Warrior >= DK >= Paladin > DH (?)

Fun
    Warrior > Brewmaster > Paladin = DK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bear

Everyone is saying that DH is very fun to tank, but I personally don't know.

Warrior is more fun imo because brewmaster is just too much easygoing and you rarely seriously care about damage spikes and cooldown rotation. Well, I guess it works with drunken master style On warrior you're actually more engaged in the fight. You need to learn it better, you need to prepare stuff, properly use cooldowns and play along the rhythm of the fight. Also it's much more complex rotation-wise than brm.
    Last edited by ReD-EyeD; 2017-06-30 at 02:16 PM.

I main MW. We have very limited tools to burst heal single target for an entire health pool. In M+, Raids and PVP I have lost a lot of people while casting our artifact weapon spell (~2s cast), and even with using 'small' cool downs like tea + enveloping mist + boosted effuse, it's still at least 2 GCDs. You can make it work if you're fast, but it's always been a frustrating point of healing play for me. I've healed as a Druid and a Hpal in the past and they have a very different toolset.

That being said MW is very fun in M+/Raid. It was a lot of fun in PVP but with nerfs and removing spells it's a lot less fun these days. MW mobility in PVE is really fun. Tanks really like how aggressive I can be in M+ pushing ahead of the group and drinking, etc. In high M+ there is no problem healing the unavoidable damage as long as folks are using personal cool downs for predictable boss abilities and staying out of void zones.

I used to do casual PVP a lot, but now it's just not fun getting zerged by melee and dying in a chain stun/fear/silence. Even with rolls/port/cocoon you'll die very quickly without significant peels from your team. Because of artifact weapons and artifact power/knowledge I refuse to re-roll to a druid for healing PVP because I won't grind all that AP again and such. So I just play a lot less.

Anyway, that's my $0.02. Monk is fun!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I have pretty much every tanking spec (except DH) in the game geared 900+ and I would rank then like this:

Performance
    Bear >> Brewmaster >= Warrior >= DK >= Paladin > DH (?)

Fun
    Warrior > Brewmaster > Paladin = DK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bear

Everyone is saying that DH is very fun to tank, but I personally don't know.

Warrior is more fun imo because brewmaster is just too much easygoing and you rarely seriously care about damage spikes and cooldown rotation. Well, I guess it works with drunken master style On warrior you're actually more engaged in the fight. You need to learn it better, you need to prepare stuff, properly use cooldowns and play along the rhythm of the fight. Also it's much more complex rotation-wise than brm.
    Heh - I can completely sign up to all this. Geared all tanks to 900+, never cared for DH even though I tried several times, but it's still stuck on 2 relics ...
    I feel exactly the same on the rankings and reasoning too. If warrior had a healing OS, I'd switch

Quote Originally Posted by Tsharna View Post
    I feel exactly the same on the rankings and reasoning too. If warrior had a healing OS, I'd switch
    OR gladiator stance is back

Ended up doing the class trial last night for monk and for the majority of it was WW, switched to BM when I could and found that way more enjoyable than WW.

I think I'll be going BrM and MW for my monk and keep playing my feral for the combo/energy focused dps. Might actually just go and level my Enh sham for another dps.

I tried DH tanking and it just didn't tickle my fancy at all.

Thanks for all your help guys, gonna def go brewmaster and mistweaver since I need a good yet engaging tank and another healer

Quote Originally Posted by heyitstudes View Post
    I've always had this itch to try monk but always got caught up with my Druid and Hunter. Whenever I wanted to go to Monk it seemed like it wasn't in a great place, however now I kind of want a break from my druid as to not burn out on him.

Currently maining feruardian(feral/guardian) and for monk I was considering going BrM as my primary and can't seem to decide on WW or MW. Heals would be cool to do and get away from tanking or dps.

How is Monk right now in its current rolls? Is tanking strong, and most importantly engaging/fun?

I rarely ever see WW monks in dungeons or raids? Is it just not that great right now or are you all evading me?

How is MW? It seems like its a cool concept to healing, but I feel like whenever I'm tanking on my bear the heals don't seem to be as potent or powerful as Resto sham or druids etc(or it could be that the MW I did get were new/undergeared etc).

I apologize if these questions are whack or common knowledge. I just came back recently from a 7-8 month break and in that time a great many things can change and I don't know anyone personally who is a monk.

Thanks guys n gals :3
    You cant just Monky around with think like this. We have a low tolerance for Monkying around.

I main BrM, it's fun as hell. I rolled this monk to have a main that can do all 3 roles just before legion. Turns out I don't enjoy the healing style of legion, and WW makes me puke, that spec is horribly designed.

But BrM is so much fun that I stick to monk anyways, it's that cool.