Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    I have never seen any actual proof for this. So, care to provide that?
    There's an odd biphasic distribution to it, but here's some data showing that women with double digit partners have higher divorce rates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Can we stop referring to people that enjoy casual sex as 'damaged goods'? Thanks.
    I didn't - I said that people who are promiscuous are more likely to be damaged goods. I think there's ample data for this - promiscuity is linked to dark triad traits, depression, and all sorts of correlated traits that I'd rather avoid in a partner.

I have never seen any actual proof for this. So, care to provide that?
    Just my own opinion of course but if you have a history of sleeping around with random people and not settling into a relationship, since past behavior tends to predict its future, and since personality and proclivities don't change all that much, it's a fair bet to say the future will likely resemble the past. The bar is pretty high for someone who wants to say "from now on I won't sleep around with all these different men, I'll be completely different on the day I get married".

The way that video started I expected it to go in a completely different direction. Like the one where the guy is joking about being raped by a woman, how great it was, etc. then breaks down and shows how scarred he is.

"Women with 10 or more partners were the most likely to divorce, but this only became true in recent years;"

Seems more like it's related to something else, like social trends.

I don't think this particularly supports what you're saying.

The graph seems to also be showing that people who have had 2 partners are the most likely to divorce based on historical trends. I assume the people who had 0 partners before were religious or something and thus more likely to stay in a marriage even if it sucks.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-21 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Haha. Its quite the opposite. MGTOW is growing very fast. Most successful Men that I know arent getting married. There is no reason to now a days. Look at Cristiano Ronaldo, he used a surrogate for his children. I believe this will start to become a more common thing for very successful western Men that want children.
    One person? Hahaha

LeBron, Steph, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic etc etc.

"Women with 10 or more partners were the most likely to divorce, but this only became true in recent years;"

Seems more like it's related to something else, like social trends.

I don't think this particularly supports what you're saying.

The graph seems to also be showing that people who have had 2 partners are the most likely to divorce based on historical trends. I assume the people who had 0 partners before were religious or something and thus more likely to stay in a marriage even if it sucks.
    *shrug*

Until those recent years, the data sets for the more promiscuous people are pretty limited. In any case, it makes a lot more sense to me to pay attention to the world as it is than to the world as it was 30 or 40 years ago. You're right that divergence suggests that it's not a permanent truth about humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    *shrug*

Until those recent years, the data sets for the more promiscuous people are pretty limited. In any case, it makes a lot more sense to me to pay attention to the world as it is than to the world as it was 30 or 40 years ago. You're right that divergence suggests that it's not a permanent truth about humanity.
    I bet it's related to the fact that divorce has gained significant social acceptance compared to 30-40 years ago there and that people who are more experienced are less likely to stay in a bad marriage out of some misplaced sense of duty like more religious people would(0 partner).

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between marriage and family... wait until your married AND have a family! I am thankful everyday for how careful I was in choosing a wife. You have your ups and downs like with most things in life but if you accept each others faults and habits while still working together to compliment one and others strengths and weaknesses while sharing the same goal then you get through it together. I wish I was younger when we had our son but I wanted a family and not just kids so I had to wait.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet it's related to the fact that divorce has gained significant social acceptance compared to 30-40 years ago there and that people who are more experienced are less likely to stay in a bad marriage out of some misplaced sense of duty like more religious people would(0 partner).
    It was also the upbringing and external forces as well. Everything to support the traditional family unit of the housewife, working husband and 2.4 kids! These days there are so many external forces to erode and even outright destroy the stable family.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Everything to support the traditional family unit of the housewife, working husband and 2.4 kids! These days there are so many external forces to erode and even outright destroy the stable family.
    I'm curious as to why you think the nuclear family is so 'stable'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious as to why you think the nuclear family is so 'stable'.
    What a silly thing to say. Nuclear family's always have the best chance of being stable. Christ even from just my own experience with women all the ones who just had a single mother had issues that chicks I was with from normal stable homes would never have. A big thing with the woman I met who became my wife is that she said she wants to have a family the same as her family was and I said I wanted that as well. When you're a kid you are heavily influenced by your parents and back then you tended to want the same that your parents had when you grow up. Of course external forces can change that and that is certainly apparent with the millennial generation.

Of course not all are perfect, abusive families have always existed and raise children who don't know any different and have a higher chance becoming the same as an adult.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    What a silly thing to say. Nuclear family's always have the best chance of being stable.
    Yeah, no. That honour would go to the extended family model.

What the sociological forays into the subject seem to be demonstrating is that it's less a function of who is doing the parenting and more a function of hours invested in a child's rearing; single parents are obviously at a massive disadvantage by having to be a provider in addition to a caregiver, extended families seem to prove the best because of a ready supply of caregivers and a shared pool of providers.

Moreover, the nuclear family is becoming increasingly less viable because of the necessity of both parents to be providers, limiting the amount of hours spent giving care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    One person? Hahaha

LeBron, Steph, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic etc etc.
    Lol. Stephs wife caused all kinds of problems last year is a part of why they lost the finals. Djokovic has been playing god awful since he got married. Tiger, went from #1 in the world to not even playing golf anymore not too long after getting married. etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, no. That honour would go to the extended family model.

What the sociological forays into the subject seem to be demonstrating is that it's less a function of who is doing the parenting and more a function of hours invested in a child's rearing; single parents are obviously at a massive disadvantage by having to be a provider in addition to a caregiver, extended families seem to prove the best because of a ready supply of caregivers and a shared pool of providers.

Moreover, the nuclear family is becoming increasingly less viable because of the necessity of both parents to be providers, limiting the amount of hours spent giving care.
    Arr well yeah extended families, that is normal of the nuclear family, their grand parents are there etc. My wife and I had our first night together without our son for the first time in 2 years as her mother offered to look after him overnight, it felt like the old times together again even though we just stayed in!

Unless you're talking more along the lines of China where the lack of welfare for elderly means 3 generations stick together in the same place but of course they have next to no external influences on damaging that family unit.