Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Investigation finds 70,000 dogs killed in Bali each year are fed to unsuspecting tour

Tourists who thought they were eating chicken were actually eating dog meat.

An investigation has found that tourists visiting the Indonesian island of Bali are unwittingly eating dog meat.

The report by Australia's ABC found that dogs are regularly caught on the island and served up to unsuspecting tourists.

The investigation also discovered that many of the dogs are poisoned which could pose a health risk to humans who end up eating the meat.

The selling and eating of dog meat in Bali is legal, however using poison or cruel methods to kill is against the law.

Animals Australia's campaign director Lyn White said: "The dog-meat trade breaches animal cruelty laws and food safety laws. That is a statement of fact.

"Tourists will walk down a street, they'll see a street store selling satay but what they are not realising is the letters RW on the store mean it is dog meat being served."

An undercover investigator for Animals Australia spent four months infiltrating the meat-trade on the island.

He pretended to be a documentary maker filming about local cuisine, and he was eventually invited to watch how the dogs were caught.

The investigator, known only as 'Luke' said: "I began the investigation by pinpointing and getting to know the key players in Bali's completely unregulated dog-meat industry. Eventually, they invited me to join them as their gangs stole, hunted, poisoned and killed dogs."

He eventually met Pak Puris, 83, who kills the dogs with a metal pole, he told the investigator that he doesn't eat dog because "it makes him want to vomit".

He has been killing dogs for 30 years and in that time, he has culled thousands – a job he said he had to do because he was too old to do anything else.

On another occasion, Luke joined a group of hunters who used fish laced with cyanide to kill dogs. On this occasion, Luke turned off his camera for the first time as a puppy died after several "agonising minutes."

It is thought that the tradition of eating dogs didn't exist on the island until the arrival of Chinese immigrants.

The Bali Animal Welfare Association are working hard to try and cut down on the illegal mistreatment of dogs, but they currently have only 150 dogs in care, compared to the estimated 70,000 that are slaughtered each year.

White said: "This is not about laying blame. This is about unnecessary cruelty that puts the human health population at risk and is causing shocking animal cruelty, it also is breaching Bali laws. We are certainly also willing to partner with the Bali government to bring about positive solution here."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/investigati...urists-1626909

WTF!!! Eating dogs is just fucking wrong! Serving it to people who eat it unknowingly is just fucked up beyond belief!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daneman View Post
    WTF!!! Eating dogs is just fucking wrong!
    What makes you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What makes you say so?
    They're pets for fuck sake!

Well, that makes eating other people's dogs without the owners consent wrong, but I really don't see anything generally immoral about it if it's your own dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    So are cows, chickens, pigs, and sheep.

I wouldn't eat a dog but the whole but they are pets argument is kind of weak.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

As long as they dont do it like the chinese with a shit ton of unecessary suffering with boiling them alive, fucking idiots.

Also poisoning the dogs then feeding them to people is pretty fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    So are cows, chickens, pigs, and sheep.

I wouldn't eat a dog but the whole but they are pets argument is kind of weak.
    My wife grew up on a farm and for years she had a pet cow that she saw raised from birth. Then her grand father made her watch him slaughter it and eat it for dinner (well, quite a few dinners).
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

And? Some people keep pigs as pets. Does that make you a monster if you eat ham?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What makes you say so?
    Oh my, what a conundrum for progressives! Will they side with their ideal to respect and bow down to ridiculous 3rd world customs or cling to their creepy obsession with humanizing animals?? Sorry, but you're going to have to make a choice on this one...can't take the typical hypocritical route.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Many people keep cows, chickens, sheep, and other livestock for pets.

I'm kind of against the idea of eating dogs personally because of the whole social aspect/intelligence of them. However, that's just me. I don't find anything intrinsically "gross" about eating dog or horse or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhackin View Post
    Oh my, what a conundrum for progressives! Will they side with their ideal to respect and bow down to ridiculous 3rd world customs or cling to their creepy obsession with humanizing animals?? Sorry, but you're going to have to make a choice on this one...can't take the typical hypocritical route.

It's not hard for most of us. it's the far left that gets upset about this kinda shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm kind of against the idea of eating dogs personally because of the whole social aspect/intelligence of them. However, that's just me. I don't find anything intrinsically "gross" about eating dog or horse or whatever.

Pigs have been proven to be smarter than dogs.

https://www.peta.org/features/dog-pig/

Lol I know it's peta but I thought the irony of the article and this thread make it appropriate.

I'm pretty sure I had dog, and who knows what else, when I was in Thailand. I must say, it was all pretty decent.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Pigs have been proven to be smarter than dogs.

https://www.peta.org/features/dog-pig/

Lol I know it's peta but I thought the irony of the article and this thread make it appropriate.
    Oh yeah? Why can dogs alarm and scare off invaders in your property while pigs would just walk around trying to find something to eat? They don't seem to be so smart now, do they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah? Why can dogs alarm and scare off invaders in your property while pigs would just walk around trying to find something to eat? They don't seem to be so smart now, do they?

I know dogs that lick their balls without another care in the world. Yup, they are genius level......
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2017-06-19 at 11:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Pigs are very smart, social, and the skin/flesh is similar to a human's.

Yet we love bacon.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jfhsgtresg View Post
    Read this and tell me Dogs are just animals

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/09/health...ogs/index.html

I've had many dogs growing up. An animal is an animal is an animal.