Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Good PC, bad FPS. Do is miss something?

Hello guys.

My computer is fairly good, but i still have very bad FPS even on lowest settings.
    I dont know where or what the problem is and hope somebody of you can help me out.

The following are my computer components:

CPU: AMD FX-8320 (eight core, 3500 MHz. 65-70°C (149-158°F) playing WoW)
    GPU: XFX Radeon RX460 (4 GB DDR5, newest drivers installed)
    RAM: 4x2 GB DDR3-1333 MHZ, (8 GB total, same brand/modell)
    MB: ASRock 970 Extreme4 (newest BIOS version installed)
    Storage: ADATA 120GB SSD (SATA) & 500 GB Western Digital HDD
    Power: beQuiet 550W
    Monitor: LG extra wide 21:9, 2560x1080p

Both OS and WoW are installed on the SSD.

WoW says the recommended settings are "5", but with this settings I only have like 5-10 FPS in Dalaran or in Raids.
    So I set all options to the lowest possible, just to have 20-35 FPS in Dalaran, 15-20 FPS in small group Raids oder 10-15 FPS in 20+ grp Raids.
    On add heavy fights like Scorpyron with 20+ group members, my FPS even drops lower, to 4-10 FPS.

I tryed to deactivate some CPU Cores in my BIOS, but this didnt helped, too.

I also dont play any other games to compare with WoW.

So im pretty frustrated with my FPS, because I thought the components of my computer should be good enough for this game.

Does somebody of you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

amd fx + rx460 + 2560x1080 doesn't seem like an ideal partnership, but 20fps with settings on low.. idk that seems too low?

anyway, first question: does disabling all addons help at all?

side question: who told you to get an amd fx if wow is all you play >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    amd fx + rx460 + 2560x1080 doesn't seem like an ideal partnership, but 20fps with settings on low.. idk that seems too low?
    Yeah, it is really low.
    While WQ'ing or while running Heroics/M+ my FPS goes up to 60-80-100. But as soon as I enter Dalaran or a 15+ manned Raid, my FPS drops to 30 and below. Even down to ~5 FPS

anyway, first question: does disabling all addons help at all?
    I already tested this. Also deleted the Cache-Folder, my WTF-Folder and so on.
    Doesnt change anything at all.

side question: who told you to get an amd fx if wow is all you play >.<
    Well, the last time I played WoW was at the end of Cata. I resubbed a few days after Legion release.
    I bought the PC in the time between Cata and Legion, because it was an upgrade compared to my old PC. Never planned
    to resub to WoW or to buy a PC specially for WoW. So now Im sitting with this system and wonder why my FPS is so low :|

Someone told me the Bottleneck could be the RAM (only 1333MHz). Could this be possible?

... non OCed FX series jilopy, trying to run higher than 1080p resolution.

Seems completely on-par, really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akilo View Post
    So now Im sitting with this system and wonder why my FPS is so low :|
    Because the FX series CPUs have been junk for several years. They are ~40%-50% slower than an Intel chip at the same clock speed. Since WoW relies ENTIRELY on single-core/single-thread performance, the FX-series CPUs are awful.

Someone told me the Bottleneck could be the RAM (only 1333MHz). Could this be possible?
    No, its your CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    While WQ'ing or while running Heroics/M+ my FPS goes up to 60-80-100. But as soon as I enter Dalaran or a 15+ manned Raid, my FPS drops to 30 and below. Even down to ~5 FPS
    That right there is pretty indicative your cpu is the choke point. The AMD FX series were just awful for IPC, which is pretty much the core component of WoW performance
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

CPU: AMD FX-8320 (eight core, 3500 MHz. 65-70°C (149-158°F) playing WoW)
    Pulled from AMD's forums:

"Your FX-8320 will start throttling the CPU frequency at 70C."

The FX series is bad, but not 15-20FPS in Dalaran bad. Your CPU cooling is malfunctioning, defective, insufficient, or installed improperly. Safe recommended temperature for an FX series chip is IIRC 62C, and 70C is apparently the throttle point.

EDIT: Especially for it to be hitting 70C in WoW, a game that really only hammers one core and then spreads load lightly over several more.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2017-06-20 at 04:13 AM.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I totally missed the heat. You still won't get great performance but that's definitely a point of note to fix.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

CPU: AMD FX-8320
    Terrible CPU for WoW

Sounds like you're thermal throttling or something on top of that, the performance could be way better. Still bad relative to CPU's without terrible ST performance but way better
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2017-06-20 at 04:21 AM.

You need to be sure you're not overheating.. AMD FX chips run hot as hell.. If you're overheating - no matter what else you got in your pc - You will lag...
    ** Noticed many others said this too after reading further but yea.. High heat goes hand n hand with AMD :/
    Last edited by Stilldirty; 2017-06-20 at 04:18 AM.

You need to be sure you're not overheating.. AMD FX chips run hot as hell.. If you're overheating - no matter what else you got in your pc - You will lag...
    ** Noticed many others said this too after reading further but yea.. High heat goes hand n hand with AMD :/

Something that may help you ::

~~ AMD Overdrive ~~ - Just go to their website or google it. -
    is an application they themselves endorse but take no responsibility if you mess things up on your own...
    That being said, they have auto-clocking for AMD CPU's and I personally use it. I have a 4.7ghz AMD FX chip myself and it gets hot as hell.. So I ( I hate myself for having to do this but I do not have proper cooling ) "UNDERCLOCK" my pc to 4.2ghz - Took the side panel off - Laid it flat to actually get enough heat from the cpu.. I have 7 fans in the case with a push / pull system and it still didn't matter because I did not have proper cooling.

My advice is with your future builds if you choose to buy AMD - is to verify you have proper cooling. There are decent air coolers around $50 - $80 and water coolers around $120 that will easily cool your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilldirty View Post
    My advice is with your future builds if you choose to buy AMD - is to verify you have proper cooling. There are decent air coolers around $50 - $80 and water coolers around $120 that will easily cool your PC.
    Luckily if you buy AMD these days you get a 65-95 watt CPU, not a 125-220 watt furnace. Even the stock coolers have no trouble keeping Ryzen CPUs under control.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    Had the same chip. Not an ideal situation for WoW but not as bad as you are describing. I'll go with the heat issue as well. Stock cooler on the fx8320 is noisy as hell and terrible at cooling the damn thing.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have an 8320 in one of my computers that I use when my wife is using my main rig for work. I have 8320 OC to 4.1 on custom water loop, r9 390, 16gb ram, and wow and os on SSD. I can run in Dalran on "7" setting and still get at least 50fps and never drop below 120 fps in mythic raid. But I am running 1920x1080p at 144hrz. So it seems the 2560 is what is killing you, or that you do not have the cpu over clocked since wow is such an cpu intensive game. My ryzen 1700x build runs 2560 no problem but I could not run that on my 8320. If possible I would try to get a aio liquid cooler and over clock some because the FX series can oc like crazy and it will help some. But for wow I have found 4.0-4.1 is the best clock to be at as higher it does help FPS as much as the heat that is generated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like this happened to me a long time ago. Go in to all of your card settings and all settings everywhere and check if any "power saving" is enabled. Disable all of it if you find it.

Just to clarify: press "Start" and then type "power" and click "Power & Sleep settings". On the right, click "Additional power settings" under "related settings". Make sure you select "High performance" and then click "Change plan settings" and then "Change advanced power settings". Disable anything that might affect performance in there.
    Last edited by Promethieus; 2017-06-20 at 05:29 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Promethieus View Post
    Something like this happened to me a long time ago. Go in to all of your card settings and all settings everywhere and check if any "power saving" is enabled. Disable all of it if you find it.
    I would agree until I seen the temp the cpu is running, because the cpu should not be running that hot as base clock. so either pressure in the case is giving enough air flow or the fans are not cooling the cpu which will throttle the hell of a system. Because even on stock cooler is should not get hotter than 45c. Mine under load even though im on water doesnt get above 35c. So thermals is the main issue I see.

never drop below 120 fps in mythic raid.
    This doesn't say anything about FX, it just shows that you're monitoring your FPS incorrectly. CPU's that are close to twice as fast can't do much better than 60 on some fights/areas with optimized UI's and settings.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    This doesn't say anything about FX, it just shows that you're monitoring your FPS incorrectly. CPU's that are close to twice as fast can't do much better than 60 on some fights/areas with optimized UI's and settings.
    Well then I guess MSI afterburner overlay and the built in FPS monitor in wow are liars. I will always say intel cpu's are better for wow. But the FX can stand its ground. I am not running 10 with ultra on everything. I said I was running a wow "7" setting so its not perfect but still holds over 120.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevine1 View Post
    Well then I guess MSI afterburner overlay and the built in FPS monitor in wow are liars. I will always say intel cpu's are better for wow. But the FX can stand its ground. I am not running 10 with ultra on everything. I said I was running a wow "7" setting so its not perfect but still holds over 120.
    post a video of it while fighting spellblade with 20 people

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    post a video of it while fighting spellblade with 20 people
    Its on my FB page as that is where I stream it on normal with 20 as that was the last stream I put out. We did not do spell blade as we were not that far into Mythic

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevine1 View Post
    Its on my FB page as that is where I stream it on normal with 20 as that was the last stream I put out. We did not do spell blade as we were not that far into Mythic
    He didn't ask where the video was. He said post a video (as in so that he can see) of your bulldozer, that is notoriously weak for WoW, doing 120 fps through a mythic fight. Ultra low settings at a low resolution and staring at the ground maybe? Sure as shit not on the 7 preset.

Fact is you're not the first person to come here and claim that and you certainly won't be the first person to prove it. Really pointless to spew bullshit as all it does and make people like OP believe that his PC is capable of such a thing when it isn't. Something like 7 years later and we're still having this debate as if it's even arguable.

The answer here is simple. Most of the results OP is having is due to the CPU being weak. The rest are likely due to thermal throttling (hence the drops as low as 5fps). A new cooler with some new paste to lower the temps and allow for overclocking would be the ideal fix.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2017-06-20 at 01:55 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |