Buying new computer monitor and need confirmation I picked a good one before pickup.

My Samsung monitor kicked the bucket over the weekend, and selected a new one from a local computer store. I believe I went with one that will work well for both my streaming of videos and gaming, but as I went with one that is not Samsung for the first time in well over a decade (nearly two), I have a nagging feeling I made a mistake.

Here is the monitor I picked - Acer GN246HL Bbid 24in 3D LED Gaming Monitor 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms VGA DVI HDMI
    http://www.ncix.com/detail/acer-gn24...m?promoid=1778

I went with it as it has 1920x1080 resolution and the 144Hz with 1ms refresh will help when playing fast moving games like Grand Theft Auto or Battlefield, while staying within my budget as $350 Canadian (approximately $265 US) is my limit after tax as I am on disability and therefore this is coming out of my savings.

Thank you in advance for any help that can be lent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I Guess my first question is... Can you actually make use of 144hz monitor? As you said, you're on disability and fixed income and savings, etc etc... Is that something you ought to do? Or will a standard monitor work fine? Don't get me wrong, it's your money.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Its the cheapest 144hz monitor on the market, its fine and most would be happy with it.

If you could bump it up to 380 this is a better monitor, especially if you have an AMD GPU for freesync.
    http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-24gm79...-02-141190.htm

It also has modes that the acer does not, like low motion blur.

If you can afford the price difference id get the LG, but im sure you would be happy with the acer as well especially if you havent used a 144hz monitor before.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I Guess my first question is... Can you actually make use of 144hz monitor? As you said, you're on disability and fixed income and savings, etc etc... Is that something you ought to do? Or will a standard monitor work fine? Don't get me wrong, it's your money.
    My computer/setup for gaming is like the ship of Theseus, where I replace part over time and put money aside every month to eventually buy a new part. I had intended to use this cash on a new graphics card, but obviously that will be put on hold. I try and be smart with my spending when it comes to entertainment, and for me gaming is that. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or party as I'm an introvert so I figure the money I save can go to making sure I buy quality parts within my budget limits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Its the cheapest 144hz monitor on the market, its fine and most would be happy with it.

If you could bump it up to 380 this is a better monitor, especially if you have an AMD GPU for freesync.
    http://www.ncix.com/detail/lg-24gm79...-02-141190.htm

It also has modes that the acer does not, like low motion blur.

If you can afford the price difference id get the LG, but im sure you would be happy with the acer as well especially if you havent used a 144hz monitor before.
    Currently using a Intel processor - not likely to replace it for quite a while as I need to replace my video card next once I save up as I cannot play the current generation of games like GTA5 without my video card dying from the demand.

How did you manage to quote my post but with chazus's name lol.

Anyways what GPU do you have currently, if AMD that alone is worth the price difference for the LG. Freesync aside, the LG has better colors/stand/and can enter low motion blur modes.

Its worth the price bump for the LG, but if all you can afford is the acer you will be happy with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has the cheapest and shittiest 144hz 1080p TN panel on the market. It has no adaptive sync, poor image quality, PWM LED back lighting which can cause headaches due to the flickering... Avoid it.

The LG monitor that was linked is better but at that price you can get a Samsung C24FG70 which is faaaaar superior in every way to either the Acer or the LG.

Deleted
    I'd hold off till you can afford a monitor with a few more options and thus flexibility which will mean that it'll last you longer. Currently the Dell S2417DG is a good choice, it allows you to pick between higher resolution, frame rate and anything in between whilst being reasonably affordable to boot.