Hero class vs. normal class

So kind of a dumb question but I was curious what the difference is between WoWs "hero" classes compared to the rest of the classes. Is it literally just the starting level? Mainly ask just because every once in awhile i see people have weird expectations for hero classes and just kind of curious what the overall community concesus was / if blizz has anything official about it. Sorry for dumb question hour if you dont find it interesting lol.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's the starting level AND the starting experience.

Also, and keep in mind this is my opinion, hero classes are mosty based on one specific character. Illidan and Arthas are popular, so they made a class that are like those two characters. Same could be said about the Monk (Chen Stormstout), but Blizzard decided that the monk class wasn't too specific.

If they ever made an... let's say, Dragon Aspect class - The Hero is a half dragon thing that can use an dragonflight power and even incarnate Alextrasza, Malygos or Deathwing - it would be very WoW-specific, and it would draw inspiration from very specific characters.

Hero classes require pre-requisites to unlock. Both DK and DH require a character already at a required level. Although I think DKs one got removed but DH requires a level 70. You can also only have one of them per realm.

In return Hero classes start at a higher level, have decent satrting gear and have their own mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflower View Post
    Hero classes require pre-requisites to unlock. Both DK and DH require a character already at a required level. Although I think DKs one got removed but DH requires a level 70. You can also only have one of them per realm.

In return Hero classes start at a higher level, have decent satrting gear and have their own mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post

Also, and keep in mind this is my opinion, hero classes are mosty based on one specific character. Illidan and Arthas are popular, so they made a class that are like those two characters. Same could be said about the Monk (Chen Stormstout), but Blizzard decided that the monk class wasn't too specific.

If they ever made an... let's say, Dragon Aspect class - The Hero is a half dragon thing that can use an dragonflight power and even incarnate Alextrasza, Malygos or Deathwing - it would be very WoW-specific, and it would draw inspiration from very specific characters.
    Dang great replies, I especially like the part about them being based off of specific characters found in WoW making them a much more unique class to WoW than a standard MOBA "warrior" for example, makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the input, broadened my view already haha.
    Last edited by LightClaw; 2017-06-27 at 06:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

They aren't based on specific characters but instead they are based on the Warcraft 3 Hero units. At least, that was the first intention when DKs were introduced. I am not sure if they still fill this niche now. It fits, as Demon Hunters also were a Hero unit in WC3, but I am not sure if Blizzard still sees it like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    They aren't based on specific characters but instead they are based on the Warcraft 3 Hero units. At least, that was the first intention when DKs were introduced. I am not sure if they still fill this niche now. It fits, as Demon Hunters also were a Hero unit in WC3, but I am not sure if Blizzard still sees it like this.
    Paladins - early Arthas, Tirion Fordring
    Mages - Jaina

I wouldn't read too much into the concept, it changes with time but generally you could risk a thesis that when new classes are introduced, they get more traction as hero classes (or at least I see a lot more DH in Legion and I saw a lot more DKs in LK than monks in Pandaland).

10+ Year Old Account
    The starting level, and generally a much higher quality starting experience (at least separate from the rest of their race)

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    I am afraid that the earlier replies were more correct, they are based of characters rather then units.

Death knights from before War3: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Death_..._(Warcraft_II)

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Hero Classes that have existed didn't start their journey as the class they are. The Death Knights were heroes of another class before being killed and rez'd as Death Knights. The Demon Hunters were something else before going through the training to be Demon Hunters per the Illidian Novel.

It isn't just hero unit in Warcraft 3, it seems that Hero Classes are define as the person was something else before becoming the class. As we only have had 3 classes added since Vanilla 2 hero and 1 normal, it is hard to determine what makes a hero class vs a normal class.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

"Hero class" is just something they called Death Knights, indicating they were special in some way. The term hasn't been used by Blizzard since early WotLK, though.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by urieliszcze View Post
    Paladins - early Arthas, Tirion Fordring
    Mages - Jaina

I wouldn't read too much into the concept, it changes with time but generally you could risk a thesis that when new classes are introduced, they get more traction as hero classes (or at least I see a lot more DH in Legion and I saw a lot more DKs in LK than monks in Pandaland).
    I think the class representation has more to do with design than whether or not it's a hero class. I can't speak for others but I honestly think monks are the most boring class in the game. They fit well with the MoP theme but I think WoW's engine and systems make it very difficult to do a hand to hand combat oriented class well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    "Hero class" is just something they called Death Knights, indicating they were special in some way. The term hasn't been used by Blizzard since early WotLK, though.
    And thank god they stopped, because the butthurt about DKs was simply incredible.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I think the class representation has more to do with design than whether or not it's a hero class. I can't speak for others but I honestly think monks are the most boring class in the game. They fit well with the MoP theme but I think WoW's engine and systems make it very difficult to do a hand to hand combat oriented class well.
    According to my girl, mistwalker is now a much nicer healer spec to play than tree. Brewmaster tanking felt good back in Pandaland version too. Not complete trash I'd say, but certainly can't compete with the two Ds.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Yes, it was, Demon Hunter was announced as the new hero class.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/legion/#class
    "Hero Class
    Stalk your prey as the Demon Hunter"

Basically hero class means they start at higher level after a special introductory questline, because there are lore reasons behind them not being just an average Joe from Elwynn Forest.

They also have unique customization options, DKs had "undead skins" and special hair colours (except Forsaken), and voice modulation. DHs have blindfolds, horns, tattoos, special "demonic" skin options and Nelf DH have extra hair colour (no idea why Belf ones don't).

Quote Originally Posted by urieliszcze View Post
    According to my girl, mistwalker is now a much nicer healer spec to play than tree. Brewmaster tanking felt good back in Pandaland version too. Not complete trash I'd say, but certainly can't compete with the two Ds.
    Oh, I actually think they are designed well from a performance standpoint (with the exception of WW) and BrM is a pretty fun spec, as far as I've played it. It's just a class I can't get into personally and I know I'm not the only one.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Yes, it was, Demon Hunter was announced as the new hero class.
    [...]
    Ugh, after all these shenanigans trying to explain why Monk wasn't a Hero Class, they just abandoned that.

Anyway, good explanation of what separates DK&DH from other classes.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account

Dragon Aspect class confirmed