Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of speech.

That said, our court rulings have been woefully inadequate thus far when it comes to implied threats. Basically the way it works here is that a threat has to cause harm outside of the threat, such as "disruption". It's why yelling "Bomb!" in an airport isn't protected free speech since it would cause a complete shutdown of an airport, but sadly emailing someone to say, "I'm going to cut your children apart and rape your wife in front of you, then watch as they slowly die" isn't. Nor are racial threats to violence.

It's a pretty huge gap in our legal system that needs to be patched over, imo.
    I do not disagree with your points. But when the Supreme Court rules even the burning of the national flag is a expression of freedom of speech, it does show the freedom extends to more than just actual speech. Does it go too far at times? Absolutely in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I approve of this 100% punish people for actions like this not who they are. Keep hateful comments to yourself by yourself. Instead of being free to spread your misery to others
    You're for an authoritarian government? Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What is the problem exactly?
    thought policing. this is orewllian behavior, "think as i do or be punished"

i would hope there would be a fucking civil war if this kind of shit started happening here in the US.

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of speech.
    Um that's exactly what Freedom of speech is, if there was consequences then it wouldn't be freedom of speech.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    We have freedom of religion here too...
    Then what and how does the government say what is good morality? Based on who's perimeters?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post

- - - Updated - - -

See you think burning a flag is a horrible horrible thing whereas people in Europe don't give two shits over that.
    You should not jump to conclusions about people. Did I say it was a horrible thing? Be careful or your own bias will judge wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    So whenever I hear that story of restoring the Great Europe again, I do have to ask the serious question: The Europe of which year exactly are they talking about?
    For real. Has Europe even had a period longer than 50 years without some kind of war? Post WWII / Cold War seems to be the most vibrant period of relative peace and cooperation the continent has experienced.
    Last edited by Krigaren; 2017-06-21 at 02:21 PM.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I approve of this 100% punish people for actions like this not who they are. Keep hateful comments to yourself by yourself. Instead of being free to spread your misery to others
    People are getting punished for pressing like on semi-racist meme's in PRIVATE facebook groups... thats no different to telling a racist joke in your own home.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Then what and how does the government say what is good morality? Based on who's perimeters?
    More based on whats against the law. And what attacks human dignity.

It is great that americans may call people rapers as like Trump did, but here in europe, and in special in my home country, public defamations of ethnicities are illegal. And rightfully illegal.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-06-21 at 02:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    First off, you are not studying liberals, you are studying what you think liberals are. So that is strike one.
    But to answer the question you poised: the law has been in place for decades and no one has even thought about creating that follow-up law that you fear so much. Just going more and more radical is something that can be applied to any law.
    Like, take a law against sexual harassment. First, physical harassment if punishable, then verbal, then thought, then death camps etc.
    Vapid argument is vapid.
    Every single media outlet liberals/far left use, every single comment they make, every single time they exhibit their behavior, the same core values that I've listed are often displayed in them.

It is consistent and never changes, liberals and far left people are unable to accept other views and truly believe that their way is the only way and would be willing to use physical violence to get their way with people, as shown in riots and in several debates where they have repeatedly stated that they would rather take the freedom of having free speech away in order to not offend people.

My argument is not vapid and holds immense truth to it.

And people haven't thought about creating a followup law until now, until the brand new liberal/politically correct cultural shift happened, now people are just finding out about these laws and just how far they can be abused.

Liberals are predictable, they will always resort to a label buzzword whenever they are proven wrong, they will always try to take away your freedom because in their culture, feelings trumps statistics and evidence.

Try again.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    You dont know what you talk about. Noone who just lifts the right arm without the provable intention to make the hitler salute has been punished.
    It shouldn't be punishable even if you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    thought policing. this is orewllian behavior, "think as i do or be punished"

i would hope there would be a fucking civil war if this kind of shit started happening here in the US.
    Thought is not being policed. Publicly espousing harmful comments is.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Try shouting racist comments in the US at the top of your lungs. Or 'fire'.

Quote Originally Posted by Honorboy View Post
    Every single media outlet liberals/far left use, every single comment they make, every single time they exhibit their behavior, the same core values that I've listed are often displayed in them.
    It is consistent and never changes, liberals and far left people are unable to accept other views and truly believe that their way is the only way and would be willing to use physical violence to get their way with people, as shown in riots and in several debates where they have repeatedly stated that they would rather take the freedom of having free speech away in order to not offend people.
    My argument is not vapid and holds immense truth to it.
    And people haven't thought about creating a followup law until now, until the brand new liberal/politically correct cultural shift happened, now people are just finding out about these laws and just how far they can be abused.
    Liberals are predictable, they will always resort to a label buzzword whenever they are proven wrong, they will always try to take away your freedom because in their culture, feelings trumps statistics and evidence.
    Try again.
    But you say it has always been that way, how can it be new?
    Anyway, you clearly love to generalize and lop everyone into one basket. Just look at what you say about riots - some people identifying as far left riot, so that immediately has to apply to everyone seen as liberal. Sure. Come, give me statistics and evidence to back up your claims that every single comment made exhibits hate of white men or whatever. I will be waiting on that, because I want to see how you would want to prove such a thing.

However, I will give you one thing though.
    "- Will use physical and lethal force to enforce their regulations/laws/opinions on the populace." That is partially correct. Liberal governments will use physical and lethal force to enforce laws at the very least. Because that is what every government does. Though it is funny that you would equate the police stopping an armed robbery or something to be Nazilike or Islamist.
    Last edited by Kiri; 2017-06-21 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    It shouldn't be punishable even if you do it.
    It should considering our past. Doing the hitler salute in germany is like pissing on a Auschwitz grave.

Learn from the past. Your political spectrum also is able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    Thought is not being policed. Publicly espousing harmful comments is.

Try shouting racist comments in the US at the top of your lungs. Or 'fire'.
    you can shout racist comments at the top of your lungs, you just can't directly threaten someone. could go outside and scream "death to jews" if you want, but if you say "kill that specific jew right there" then it's a crime.

and it is thought policing to stop people from saying this shit. that's exactly what thought policing is.

this is trash, anyone that supports this is trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the populace is sane and intelligent, the leaders wise and responsible and the state fair and equal then yes.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Um that's exactly what Freedom of speech is, if there was consequences then it wouldn't be freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech as guaranteed by 1A is the right to peaceably assemble, redress grievances with the government, and is protection that congress will not enact laws that favor a religion (*cough*christianity*cough*), prevent practice of religion, or abridge the press.

Freedom of speech, in the colloquial sense and beyond the scope of 1A, does not protect people from the consequences of their speech. In fact, there are many, many restrictions on speech.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    People are getting punished for pressing like on semi-racist meme's in PRIVATE facebook groups... thats no different to telling a racist joke in your own home.
    Yes I believe there should be a fine line between speech that is unpopular and people don't like and speech that preaches hate and encourages violence. I also don't mean comedy shows or art specifically where people pay for the experience.

But if you are some random jackass that feels the need to hide behind a screen name to shout whatever racist hateful, violent bullshit towards the general public. I have no problem with them tracking you down and lassoing your ass in cuffs and putting you before a judge if your bullshit causes HARM absolutely.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Democracy in a nutshell, worst than totalitarism

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehezbegar View Post
    Democracy in a nutshell, worst than totalitarism
    Copy pasted from /pol/ or from RT?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Well the police can visit you from almost anything, but would a court actually hold up a conviction? No.
    Promising to kill people with different views and trying to force others to do the same?
    Oh, it might very well hold up. You have a whole prison on Cuba for such individuals, do you not?

For real. Has Europe even had a period longer than 50 years without some kind of war? Post WWII / Cold War seems to be the most vibrant period of relative peace and cooperation the continent has experienced.
    Can't say for sure, would have to look it up but WW I and II were not that far apart and before that I think we were dirt poor and constantly fighting as well.