Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Countdown : Just 9 days till Canada 150

Today's highlight is the world famous Niagara Falls (Cdn Side)

Niagara Falls, Ontario, is a Canadian city at the famous waterfalls of the same name, linked with the U.S. by the Rainbow Bridge. Its site on the Niagara River's western shore overlooks the Horseshoe Falls, the cascades' most expansive section. Elevators take visitors to a lower, wetter vantage point behind the falls. A cliffside park features a promenade alongside 520-ft.-high Skylon Tower with an observation deck.
    There are several waterfalls on the U.S. side, which means it’s a lot easier to see all of them from the Canadian side. There is a long, clean view of the massive falls from the Canadian side, which makes the whole of Niagara Falls almost more spectacular when you can see everything all at once. If you’ve come to see the waterfalls and that’s it, this is the place to do it.

Some tourist attractions are overrated but not Niagara falls. It is simply amazing.

I've been so many times that I've lost count but each time I am always impressed. Simply a must see.

Have you been to Niagara Falls? Do you plan to visit soon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you're not doing this every day in a new thread

Any guesses as to what tomorrow's landmark will be?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If rocks could speak I think they would marvel at the fact that millions of humans are fascinated by the sight of one of the world's thousands of rivers changing its elevation partway through its 60km course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    They certainly are nice, but I would get bored within 5 minutes of standing there.

Anything else to do in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    They certainly are nice, but I would get bored within 5 minutes of standing there.

Drink maple syrup and bitch about the American neighbors to the south? :P

Canada 150 is a celebration of Indigenous genocide

https://nowtoronto.com/news/canada-s...nous-genocide/

For many Indigenous peoples on Turtle Island (North America), it's difficult to imagine Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – who has said that "no relationship is more important to Canada than the one with Indigenous peoples" – celebrating the last 150 years of brutal colonization and the foundation of what is now known as Canada.

This year, the federal government plans to spend half a billion dollars on events marking Canada's 150th anniversary. Meanwhile, essential social services for First Nations people to alleviate crisis-level socio-economic conditions go chronically underfunded. Not only is Canada refusing to share the bounty of its own piracy; it's using that same bounty to celebrate its good fortune. Arguably, every firework, hot dog and piece of birthday cake in Canada's 150th celebration will be paid for by the genocide of Indigenous peoples and cultures.

Many places are struggling with the nation's genocidal origins.

150th anniversary lays bare anger of indigenous Canadians not invited to first party

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada-...rst-party.html

For indigenous people in Canada, the 150th anniversary — or sesquicentennial — of Confederation is little cause for celebration.

First off, for peoples who’ve been on this land for millennia, 150 years isn’t much more than a long weekend in the scheme of things. Second, they weren’t invited to the bash in the first place back in 1867. Third, and most important, Confederation was less about beginnings for First Nations than it was their intended death knell.

WHY I WON’T BE ATTENDING CANADA’S 150TH BIRTHDAY PARTY

http://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/blog/why...birthday-party

I won’t be attending Canada’s 150th birthday party.

What are we celebrating exactly?

I’m actually kinda offended anyone would attend the birthday party. Celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday without taking a moment to reflect on the fact that it has been an overwhelmingly violent 150 years for Indigenous peoples in Canada isn’t just insensitive, it’s offensive.

Let’s slow things down a bit and say: Canadians love Canada, a lot. Canadians love Canada so much that the title of this essay will make some not even bother to read it. Some will call me anti-Canadian. Some will leave comments about the CBC running “Indian Propaganda” against its citizens. In 2014, when I recorded my last comedy special Red Man Laughing for CBC, there were death threats left on the Edmonton Journal website when they ran a story of our sold out first night. This is the Canada I know well in the context of my work.

Canada 150: For First Nations, no reason to celebrate

http://www.timescolonist.com/life/ca...ate-1.20599060

This land had already been home for thousands of years; 1867 only marks beginning of an abusive relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Canada 150 is a celebration of Indigenous genocide

https://nowtoronto.com/news/canada-s...nous-genocide/

For many Indigenous peoples on Turtle Island (North America), it's difficult to imagine Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – who has said that "no relationship is more important to Canada than the one with Indigenous peoples" – celebrating the last 150 years of brutal colonization and the foundation of what is now known as Canada.

This year, the federal government plans to spend half a billion dollars on events marking Canada's 150th anniversary. Meanwhile, essential social services for First Nations people to alleviate crisis-level socio-economic conditions go chronically underfunded. Not only is Canada refusing to share the bounty of its own piracy; it's using that same bounty to celebrate its good fortune. Arguably, every firework, hot dog and piece of birthday cake in Canada's 150th celebration will be paid for by the genocide of Indigenous peoples and cultures.

Many places are struggling with the nation's genocidal origins.

150th anniversary lays bare anger of indigenous Canadians not invited to first party

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada-...rst-party.html

For indigenous people in Canada, the 150th anniversary — or sesquicentennial — of Confederation is little cause for celebration.

First off, for peoples who’ve been on this land for millennia, 150 years isn’t much more than a long weekend in the scheme of things. Second, they weren’t invited to the bash in the first place back in 1867. Third, and most important, Confederation was less about beginnings for First Nations than it was their intended death knell.

WHY I WON’T BE ATTENDING CANADA’S 150TH BIRTHDAY PARTY

http://www.cbc.ca/firsthand/blog/why...birthday-party

I won’t be attending Canada’s 150th birthday party.

What are we celebrating exactly?

I’m actually kinda offended anyone would attend the birthday party. Celebrating Canada’s 150th birthday without taking a moment to reflect on the fact that it has been an overwhelmingly violent 150 years for Indigenous peoples in Canada isn’t just insensitive, it’s offensive.

Let’s slow things down a bit and say: Canadians love Canada, a lot. Canadians love Canada so much that the title of this essay will make some not even bother to read it. Some will call me anti-Canadian. Some will leave comments about the CBC running “Indian Propaganda” against its citizens. In 2014, when I recorded my last comedy special Red Man Laughing for CBC, there were death threats left on the Edmonton Journal website when they ran a story of our sold out first night. This is the Canada I know well in the context of my work.

Canada 150: For First Nations, no reason to celebrate

http://www.timescolonist.com/life/ca...ate-1.20599060

This land had already been home for thousands of years; 1867 only marks beginning of an abusive relationship.
    Ahhhh, yes. I was wondering how long it would take for some SJW to pop up in a thread celebrating a North American country and complain about the genocides committed against the indigenous people. Never gets old. Oh wait, yes it does...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

Please son. It's not just about watching the falls from the side. There's also an amazing boat ride which takes you right near it. It's quite an experience.

Where else can you do this? Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Ahhhh, yes. I was wondering how long it would take for some SJW to pop up in a thread about a North American country and complain about the genocides committed against the indigenous people. Never gets old. Oh wait, yes it does...
    I'm no SJW, just countering Tennis constant propagandizing with some cold, hard realities.

I'm no SJW, just countering Tennis constant propagandizing with some cold, hard realities.
    Bitching about attrocities committed in the effort to colonize the world in the past in 2017 is pretty irrelevant. We've got bigger problems to worry about in modern society than shit that has already happened in the past and can't be changed now.

Number one will be just a picture of maple syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Bitching about attrocities committed in the effort to colonize the world in the past in 2017 is pretty irrelevant. We've got bigger problems to worry about in modern society than shit that has already happened in the past and can't be changed now.
    This isn't ideological, I'm just trying to provide counter-balance to an annoying propagandist.

This isn't ideological, I'm just trying to provide counter-balance to an annoying propagandist.
    Ahhh, gotcha. Carry on then good sir/madam!

Deleted
    I never have been outside of Europe yet. But if i ever would, i surely would visit Canada as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Please son. It's not just about watching the falls from the side. There's also an amazing boat ride which takes you right near it. It's quite an experience.

Where else can you do this? Nowhere.
    Disneyland?

Lol, my rinky dinky town in the woods of Bavaria is older than 150 years .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Lol, my rinky dinky town in the woods of Bavaria is older than 150 years .
    And i thought i am the only bavarian on this forums.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please. It doesn't get anywhere near Victoria Falls. That was a sight I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    And i thought i am the only bavarian on this forums.
    Nah, I talked to at least one or two more over the years. Wasn't ravenblade one as well? Edit: Oh nope, he was from thuringa.