Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    ok. what if they want to eat us
    We could be a valuable delicacy for them. Fishies might be like, chill and shit and then some asshole in a fishing boat scoops up all of Atlanta cuz the nom nom's is delish!
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

assuming a hostile intent on their part, it depends if they are lifeforms similar to us, it would stand to reason that radiation and microorganisms pose a similar threat to them. we have adapted to this environment, evolved out of it. the same can not be asumed for them, so its quite possible that the earth is very dangerous teritory for such travelers and there isnt really a reason to asume their technology would be capable of warding off these dangers perfectly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Why do people climb Mt. Everest?
    For honour, and it also depends on who are you trying to impress.

Oh lawd i can see it now!

- My friend got a planet for her birthday and is boasting about it on tentaclebook, what are you gonna do about it?
    - But dear...
    - Ph'nglui mglw'nafh r'lyeh???
    - Ok dear

I've changed my mind, the possibility does exist.
    Last edited by mmoc0aa4a6036f; 2017-06-23 at 12:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people climb Mt. Everest?
    For a challenge, for epeen, for testing their skill?

Don't see how an advanced civilization would find challenging killing us off, getting +rep for obliterating a civilization like ours or testing their skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Lets face it guys. If an extraterrestrial species with the ability to travel the stars decided they wanted earth it's highly unlikely that we have anything that would be able to stop them. How long would it take them to conquer earth?
    I dunno. A few assumptions would have to be made here. One of which would be to assume that they are aggressive. An other would be that they are at all interested in taking over a full inhabited planet. One more being that our planet would be suitable for them. Lastly, this also assumes that our weapons are less powerful than theirs, or that our weapons are ineffective against them.

A lot of maybes, and guesses. So there is no wrong answer and also no correct answer.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    If H. G. Wells taught me anything is that they would become susceptible to our air and environment that they would die over time.

Unless they have a world destroyer... then we're fucked lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Ask the same from the point of view of a conquistador in the 16th century.

Which other planet in this solar system has water?

Why would humans start space travel?

To expand. To build spaceships to find other habitable planets. How many habitable planets do you know about?

I only know one currently. Imagine there are only around 0,00005% habitable planets in a galaxy. Imagine aliens with the ability to spaceflight would reach this planet, what would be their intention with our habitable world?

To send us greetings from their god emperor?
    Europa has more water then earth.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

It is not 101% set in stone that the ability for interstellar travel means much, much more advanced weapon's tech.
    Yes, most likely it would be, but not guaranteed. Therefore, we could have a chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point is that some civilization advanced enough to travel here is probably advanced enough to do it just for the lulz and bragging rights. They don't need our resources. If someone comes here one day, it will probably because they want to experience new things, establish a travel hub on their way to the next star, cosmic bragging rights...

... Or they are hive society like race just expanding everywhere they can find just for the sake of doing so.

The latter doesn't necessarily require cutting edge of technology, and could therefore be BTFO by our weapons.
    So killing a hardly evolved civilization adds bragging rights?

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Depends they might be able to travel the stars but might be the size of a small child and vulnerable to the same things we are.
    There is no guarantee that they are some superpowered being with lasers coming out of their male sexual organs.
    I don't see why they would fight with their bodies when they have all that technology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    We nuke ourselves, what the fuck do you thing we are going to do to an alien race?
    Nuke ourselves for them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Just give it a few days and the aliens will all start dropping dead due to being unable to cope with the bacteria.
    I can't believe you gave away the ending for Star Wars!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    Posh? I'm being realistic. The primary materials that make up the Earth are the most abundant in the universe. As much as we might like to think we're really special the truth is we aren't. Judging by the number of exoplanets we've discovered already there are potentially tens of BILLIONS of Earth like worlds in our galaxy alone, why would any species invest that much effort to travel anywhere up to 100,000 light years within our galaxy for anything we might have? It makes absolutely no sense.
    They could be after slaves or flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    If they were capable of getting here, they'd have pretty incredible technology that we'd stand no chance against. Our only chance would be sheer numbers and resources, as we'd have the home turf. They'd have to transfer resources across lightyears.
    If they got instant travel it wouldn't matter, plus I hardly think Earth would go all Independence Day, we barely get along right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    There was some sort of summit/meeting between NASA and various sci-fi authors (authors that knew something about real science) a long while ago that explored the possibility of aliens and potential dangers. (virus/germs...were also looked at) But for the most part, the "physicality" was specified. (Ie. the alien from "Aliens")
    And the consensus was that Earth's gravity produced some serious tough muthas when it comes to going toe-to-toe with an alien.
    The best that the authors came up was a cat-like creature from one book. When the human lightly smacked it on the arm, he accidently broke it. Human flesh isn't just strong, it's dense. Atmospheric pressure keeps us "locked" however.

It was interesting to hear some of the conclusions coming from this little pow-wow.

Although I am definitely of the opinion that were aliens to observe what's really going on, they'd high-tail it out of this galaxy. Seeing how humans murder each other, among so many vile crimes, they'd have to come to the conclusion that we are insane and have no business consorting with any other race.
    But they wouldn't go toe-to-toe with us. They'd bomb us from Saturn or send in drones with force fields.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    But they wouldn't go toe-to-toe with us. They'd bomb us from Saturn or send in drones with force fields.
    *sigh*

(virus/germs...were also looked at) But for the most part, the "physicality" was specified. (Ie. the alien from "Aliens")

10+ Year Old Account
    We should salt the Earth using nukes, if we can't have it then some bellends from Proxima Centauri certainly can't

Liberals would invite them in... cause multiculturalism is love.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

15+ Year Old Account
    What would happen if an alien race made it to earth is obvious.
    Any species technologically advanced would know the basics of war and strategy. They would replace/subvert leadership and enslave the planet.

"In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment, a detachment or a company entire than to destroy them." - The Art of War

In the event of alien contact and if terms were presented to leadership, I would think they would demonstrate their capability to leave few options...hoping for a surrender.
    One option mankind would have is to stockpile nuclear/bio weapons to eradicate the entire planet as a last resort to give them a position of leverage in any negotiation.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

As I am sure many people have already stated any species that could travel the unfathomable distances is highly unlikely, to the point of being almost impossible to comprehend, to need anything we have. Any sort of raw materials would be far easier to mine, and be in far higher quantities, from asteroids than to try to get it from us.

That being said that is judging the question based on our understanding and thought processes which might be so radically different than anything else out there that it might not even be relevant to their views.

Aside from that there could be many other reasons to conquer or exterminate us than resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    If these Aliens are capable of space travel to the point of transporting huge armies for invasions, they likely also posses orbital weapons that can utterly shatter any attempts at retaliation by striking huge population centres, or e.g dropping an asteroid on us.

Humans wouldn't stand a chance.

We wouldn't put up a fight anywhere close to what we've seen in Independence Day, that's for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they're hot-ish and willing to take sex slaves