Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What? That makes no sense as a response to my post. We live in 2017, pretty much everyone can access internet in present time world, there's no excuse to not to do that instead of taking smugglers at their word.
    So the answer is yes, thanks.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-un-migration

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The topic is about people who are seeking better and more comfortable lives in Europe. Not slaves.

Deleted
    The topic is about people who are seeking better and more comfortable lives in Europe. Not slaves.
    Read the article. Those are the one being enslaved in the middle of the day, with ransoms.

Stop victim shaming.

Read the article. Those are the one being enslaved in the middle of the day, with ransoms.

Stop victim shaming.
    Irrelevant to the topic.

Deleted
    Irrelevant to the topic.
    Why do they have no responsibility themselves?
    You asked. Answer was given. You continued the victim shaming.

You asked. Answer was given. You continued the victim shaming.
    That was about the people who are seeking a better and more comfortable life in Europe, as that's the topic. You don't get to inject something else and pretend that's what people were talking about.

Deleted
    That was about the people who are seeking a better and more comfortable life in Europe, as that's the topic.
    The exact same group of people that are tricked/forced/blackmailed to migrate and ends up in a jail or enslaved in Lybia. It's amazing how you failed to see the connection, it's stated right on the title of the article.

The exact same group of people that are tricked/forced/blackmailed to migrate and ends up in a jail or enslaved in Lybia.
    Irrelevant to the topic. The topic is people who are seeking a better and more comfortable life in Europe, not slaves. Might I suggest making your own thread if you want to talk about slaves in Libya so you can discuss it in a more intricate manner?
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-25 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginfleth View Post
    If they made it one way, they might as well use the boat on the way back.
    They should stop using the smugglers if they care about living.

Why do you place no responsibility on those who use their services?
    You're both frightfully ill-informed about the conditions of refugees, the internation laws, the local laws, ethics or just what is to be expected as a decent human being. (decent humans don't let children die if they can save them. Can't believe I even have to spell this out for someone.)

I see no reason to continue this 'discussion', since neither of you have made any attempt at informing yourself before partaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    You're both frightfully ill-informed about the conditions of refugees, the internation laws, the local laws, ethics or just what is to be expected as a decent human being. (decent humans don't let children die if they can save them. Can't believe I even have to spell this out for someone.)

I see no reason to continue this 'discussion', since neither of you have made any attempt at informing yourself before partaking.
    These people we are talking about are not refugees.

"The European Union states decided on Friday to restrict visas for foreign countries that refuse to take back their nationals who have no right of asylum in Europe."

Deleted
    Irrelevant to the topic. The topic is people who are seeking a better and more comfortable life in Europe, not slaves.
    Nope, you wont decide what is relevant for the topic or not. If you consider it to be off-topic, report it. Else, stop victim shaming.

What? That makes no sense as a response to my post. We live in 2017, pretty much everyone can access internet in present time world, there's no excuse to not to do that instead of taking smugglers at their word.
    How big a percentage of the world has access to internet on a daily basis? You've clearly researched this before making a statement like this.

- - - Updated - - -

These people we are talking about are not refugees.

"The European Union states decided on Friday to restrict visas for foreign countries that refuse to take back their nationals who have no right of asylum in Europe."
    This discussion has this entire time been about people in boats outside the coast. I've even stated so numerous times. You can't be this dense.

How big a percentage of the world has access to internet on a daily basis? You've clearly researched this before making a statement like this.
    It's not needed on a daily basis to access it to check what's up with smugglers.

Deleted
    It's pointless, the conditions of many African nations and the power of human trafficking there is something completely lacking in Freighter's first world bubble.

Cool

This discussion has this entire time been about people in boats outside the coast. I've even stated so numerous times. You can't be this dense.
    If they were refugees who had no choice but to flee, then I would agree with you. These people however had a choice to undertake the journey or to abstain from it. They chose the former and put themselves in harms way for a desire to better their lives.

Though, it's rather questionable to let refugees risk their lives rather than letting them apply for asylum or visas to travel, from a safe place. Not sure how you could argue that it's ethically right.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-25 at 10:19 PM.

More money and focus should be spent on trying to make their home countries a better place instead of using so much money on only saving the 1% who actually get to europe. with solar energy going big Africa could be a powerhouse with just some help, gaining pretty much unlimited source of power

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    More money and focus should be spent on trying to make their home countries a better place instead of using so much money on only saving the 1% who actually get to europe. with solar energy going big Africa could be a powerhouse with just some help, gaining pretty much unlimited source of power
    It's not really that simple. The rest of the world is spending more than enough money there to improve the life of the average african, if it had been going to the right places, if it had been by the right people. What we get instead is awful leaders or politicians who put the money in their own pockets or people who seek to exploit rather than help.

Just throwing money at them is an awful solution, you'd need to replace the leaders in many countries, in some countries there isn't really a government as the power is divided between different factions.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-25 at 10:32 PM.

If they were refugees who had no choice but to flee, then I would agree with you. These people however had a choice to undertake the journey or to abstain from it. They chose the former and put themselves in harms way for a desire to better their lives.

Though, it's rather questionable to let refugees risk their lives rather than letting them apply for asylum or visas to travel, from a safe place. Not sure how you could argue that it's ethically right.
    Can you tell refugees and immigrants apart?

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    Can you tell refugees and immigrants apart?
    Irrelevant in theoretical discussions. In practice I would never support a system which put refugees at risk as the system that exists there does, so there wouldn't be a need for it. They would be able to apply for asylum from more safe places, such as refugee camps, embassies or such things if I got to decide how to handle them.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-06-25 at 10:39 PM.

Irrelevant in theoretical discussions. In practice I would never support a system which put refugees at risk as the system that exists there does, so there wouldn't be a need for it. They would be able to apply for asylum from more safe places, such as refugee camps, embassies or such things if I got to decide how to handle them.
    The theory just doesn't reflect reality or doesn't that even matter then?