Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I'm getting really, really bad at video games

WoW Arena 1500 mmr feels like old 2.2k - I'm getting rekd by people who execute perfect combinations and seem to play as if WoW was their life - at 1500mmr.

Fifa. I used to be Division 1 in Fifa 13-15, and I was always good at all other Fifas. Since Fifa 16 I can't leave Division 6. The players seem so powerful to me, I can't even figure out how to make 3 straight passes in a row against some opponents on that level. The hell is Division 1 now?

FPS shooters. I used to play UT, CS 1.6 and other FPS shooters in ESL, was always one (if not the best) player of the group of people I played with. I was able to get brutal killing streaks on CoD. Now I don't even buy these games anymore because it became a sore at some point that I quit playing them.

Strategy games like Command and Conquer and Warcraft or Starcraft used to be so much fun because I would play online, learn, work my way towards higher divisions.

Today I am getting destroyed. Like, completely. The downfall started somewhere during university, about 7 years ago. Now even if I spend time learning a game in depth, I ain't even mediocre anymore. 360° no scope beast mastery hunters everywhere.

I'm 28 years old, am I already too old for new tricks? Is the new gen of young players just spending sooooo much time on these games that, even compared to me back in the days, I am just a casual scrub to them?

More than likely it's a combination of being slightly rusty (it happens, even to me), and the proliferation of cheaters. I see things happen that no real human can accomplish thanks to bots, hacks, and the use of macro software/hardware to bypass in-game limitations. Even at 40 I'm still able to do many of the things I did back in my wee days, like putting in the final password in Castlevania 2 and beating the game using only the audio and memory, with the TV off.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    2 factors, one big one small

the big one
    like everything, video games requires practice. You play less because you have real life responsibility so your performance suffers.
    It's ok, just play for fun. There is nothing to gain being good at video game.

The small one
    It is known that the age of optimal coordination and brain multi tasking ability is 15 years old. Past that age, it goes down. Not so significantly that practice won't help, of course practice can maintain you top of your game, but biology is biology, can't beat that.

However, growing old you learn patience, you are more emotionally stable, you have experience. Maybe slower type of game, strategy game, card game are still games you can perform at peak efficiency.

Myself, i love slow paced stealth game, i do and redo a level until i get it perfect. Get in, do my thing, get out, nobody ever saw even the shadow of me.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a former botter I can say bots are improving rapidly

Did you get older? Age will mess everything up. Not if your casual as much but it sounds like you were in the top tier.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Imo, when you get older you are not as focussed and invested in games anymore.

You do still play them, you just aren't "into it" as you used to. The focus is fleeting.

Deleted
    Are you actually spending time reading up on stuff and practicing it? I'm younger than you but i don't believe 28 is to old to get higher ranks in competitive games. It's different genres as well requiring different set of mechanical skills. Usually you need 100s of hours put into a game to "git gud" so to speak if you happen to hit a roadblock find out what you're doing wrong.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    WoW Arena 1500 mmr feels like old 2.2k - I'm getting rekd by people who execute perfect combinations and seem to play as if WoW was their life - at 1500mmr.

Fifa. I used to be Division 1 in Fifa 13-15, and I was always good at all other Fifas. Since Fifa 16 I can't leave Division 6. The players seem so powerful to me, I can't even figure out how to make 3 straight passes in a row against some opponents on that level. The hell is Division 1 now?

FPS shooters. I used to play UT, CS 1.6 and other FPS shooters in ESL, was always one (if not the best) player of the group of people I played with. I was able to get brutal killing streaks on CoD. Now I don't even buy these games anymore because it became a sore at some point that I quit playing them.

Strategy games like Command and Conquer and Warcraft or Starcraft used to be so much fun because I would play online, learn, work my way towards higher divisions.

Today I am getting destroyed. Like, completely. The downfall started somewhere during university, about 7 years ago. Now even if I spend time learning a game in depth, I ain't even mediocre anymore. 360° no scope beast mastery hunters everywhere.

I'm 28 years old, am I already too old for new tricks? Is the new gen of young players just spending sooooo much time on these games that, even compared to me back in the days, I am just a casual scrub to them?
    Welcome to aging, bud. You'll suck more and more as the years go on! The youngsters will always be better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Imo, when you get older you are not as focussed and invested in games anymore.

You do still play them, you just aren't "into it" as you used to. The focus is fleeting.
    Yes, exactly! The fire of youth is lost, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Peskre View Post
    Are you actually spending time reading up on stuff and practicing it? I'm younger than you but i don't believe 28 is to old to get higher ranks in competitive games. It's different genres as well requiring different set of mechanical skills. Usually you need 100s of hours put into a game to "git gud" so to speak if you happen to hit a roadblock find out what you're doing wrong.
    Reaction times, strats, controls... everything seems to overwhelm me recently. And by recently I mean the past 5-7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap
    Did you get older? Age will mess everything up. Not if your casual as much but it sounds like you were in the top tier.
    Obviously I do not spend as much time in video games as I did when I went to school, but on the other hand... I thought that after all those years of being top tier I would keep some of that for when I grow up. I've started playing video games when I was 6 or 7 years old. 20+ years of gaming experience means shit apparently, lol.

But all these new things they keep on adding to games, like Fifa "super" controls, where it's actually important how your left foot is placed before the shot.

Or all these super fancy new skills in WoW that make it even hard to see which skills are being activated right now. I have trouble distinguishing toxic/fire spots from AE heals.

When I tried to switch from CS 1.6 to CS:GO I just quit the game after a month or so, because I just couldn't handle it. The spray made no sense, it seemed random to me. No headshot control.... but others were like "dude this is too easy now".

Each new and fancy element to a game makes it just harder to play for me and it gets worse as I grow older.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-06-30 at 01:11 PM.

Deleted
    wow arena is impossible to play because of cheats like kick bot, i played to 2200 last season wont play this season again because cheaters just ruin the fun
    Last edited by mmocb949c9f970; 2017-06-30 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

Yes, exactly! The fire of youth is lost, so to speak.
    But is it really just lost interest, or is it age?

I don't see any 40 years old pro gamers. You'd think that an adult who wants to make good money could focus on video games, become one of the best in it, and live a good life. And I doubt that there are no 40 years olds who at least try.

But I don't see any professional players around that age.Do you know any?
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-06-30 at 01:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You disappoint me.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you start putting priorities above games, you start to lose the edge. I used to fancy myself as an epic CS 3.5 player. Now I cant even spray and pray.

Me in 1999: Diablo II--Enter dungeon level one and immediately... wall hug the entire map until everything is found and the whole map is full before going to level 2, even if I immediately find the door.
    Me in 2017: Diablo 3--Enter dungeon level one and immediately... scream "WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DOOR TO LEVEL 2 THIS IS TAKING TOO LONG!"

Age begets focus about trivial things.

Deleted
    Just tell yourself everybody that wrecks you in a videogame is a ugly nolifer with no job, no money, no pussy and sitting in mom and dads basement. You cannot have it all bro!

Can't speak for everyone but for me it was age, not because of other priorities in life taking precedence (they do, but not the reason I'm horrible now).

Feels bad because mentally I can see the mistakes I make and that others make, yet to react on it is harder now.

On the bright side, I feel like compared to my old self who had better reaction time and twitch, I'm smarter now about making better decisions and not reckless ones, often times able to use that as an advantage over the younger generation of gamers who don't tend to think a lot and just rely purely on their skill and youth.

Deleted
    First world problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    But is it really just lost interest, or is it age?

I don't see any 40 years old pro gamers. You'd think that an adult who wants to make good money could focus on video games, become one of the best in it, and live a good life. And I doubt that there are no 40 years olds who at least try.

But I don't see any professional players around that age.Do you know any?
    Its not age. I know a guy who is 50 and still lives with his mother who is 75 years old. His mom has been trying to kick him out since the 70s. I wish I was exaggerating. He is 2k+ plus rating in WoW, hes always getting the seasonal PvP arena mounts and titles. But he doesn't have a job, gets a disability check each month, and plays wow and drinks a 32 pack of natty light every night from the time he wakes up, to the time he goes to bed at like 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    You disappoint me.
    I am really disappointed in myself, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio9
    Just tell yourself everybody that wrecks you in a videogame is a ugly nolifer with no job, no money, no pussy and sitting in mom and dads basement. You cannot have it all bro!
    That doesn't help me when my goal is to beat them in the game, not being a better person irl. For all I care they could be everything you said plus a million more negative things, all I care is to beat those mf ingame.

Maybe you're turning into a woman.

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-06-30 at 04:40 PM.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano