Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Am I getting old or what is wrong with me?

Hey everyone, just some information about me first:

I am a 34+ years old male video gamer. I have been a hardcore video gamer since the 80s (Amiga, NES, and Master system era). I mostly play RPGs.

Now here is the issue, back then when I was like 11 to 20 ish years old I had no problem playing video games for over 12+ hours straight (I know this is super unhealthy but yeah). Nowadays I can barely play video games for straight 4 or 5 hours I know this is still considered a lot of hours for the average video gamer but as I said I am still a hardcore video gamer but yeah these days I can only play for like 4 maybe 6 hours at max then after that I start feeling tired, headache and losing focus...so the question is...is it because I am older now and don't have the same energy as when I was young and teenager? or is it something else?

Thanks for reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes you are getting old, I'm the same as you.

I find myself struggling to even finish the main story of games these days, whereas I was a hardcore 100% completionist when I was younger.

Deleted
    You're just older - im 31 and can barely bother mostly because it usually just feels like the same shit repackaged - rather do other stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    I find myself struggling to even finish the main story of games these days, whereas I was a hardcore 100% completionist when I was younger.
    Exactly man! I mean I still have the same passion as I used to have for video games specially RPGs and I really enjoy playing but I just can't anymore like the old days... not as much as the old days at least.

Deleted
    I think that is fairly normal, I remember being able to watch the same movies several times in a year as a kid. As an adult, I barely want to watch the same movie twice without at least a five year break in between.

When you've played a lot of games you get jaded, been here done that. When I find an interesting game like Overwatch or PLAYERUNKNOWN I can play them all day.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm the same age as you, and I know for me it's got to be the right game these days to sink tons of time all at once. My first time playing Terraria did it for me. My first city in Cities Skylines also. Just got to find the right game, at least that's how it is for me.

But yeah, I can't stay into most games like that anymore.

37 and i just don't have the time for those long sessions. Granted when Legion came out i took a week of PTO and did many 12+ hr sessions
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    30 and i'm relatively the same, games need to be really well done for me to finish them.

I guess i just have too much of a social life and other activities on top of responsibilities to sometimes even restart the game or pick it up again. Generally if i don't finish it in the week it's done, not going to happen wonder if i should not just sell my steam account with 350+ games.

The witcher 3 started, not finished, divine divinty 2 started got half way things happened in real life and simply couldn't do it again. Mostly if i game it's well shooters, games that i can finish relatively fast or online games moba's and shooters, not even mmo's do it for me anymore.

Funny how now you can control most of your free time where as a kid you couldn't and where you have a whole lot more money than before but now it really does not matter cause getting you to sit your ass down and game is not something you do as often when you had less of both.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    .is it because I am older now and don't have the same energy as when I was young and teenager? or is it something else?
    Maybe? I can barely play most games for more than 45 minutes. I would say it's more of a lack of interest. I don't know about you but I have other shit I like to do in my free time and I prioritize that way. That and let's be honest video games today with rare exception focus on appearance over story and gameplay. I don't see the compelling stories or exciting gameplay we used to have. I mean half the time anymore the story is so weak I don't even care to follow it.

Deleted

I am a 34+ years old male video gamer. I have been a hardcore video gamer since the 80s (Amiga, NES, and Master system era). I mostly play RPGs.

Now here is the issue, back then when I was like 11 to 20 ish years old I had no problem playing video games for over 12+ hours straight (I know this is super unhealthy but yeah). Nowadays I can barely play video games for straight 4 or 5 hours I know this is still considered a lot of hours for the average video gamer but as I said I am still a hardcore video gamer but yeah these days I can only play for like 4 maybe 6 hours at max then after that I start feeling tired, headache and losing focus...so the question is...is it because I am older now and don't have the same energy as when I was young and teenager? or is it something else?

Thanks for reading.
    You are becoming more normal. It is a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    You are becoming more normal. It is a good thing.
    Haha well I didn't lose my passion toward video games I still love playing it's just I get tired faster now and lose focus faster. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    im 25 and i love u guys
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    Video-gaming in diapers is pretty hardcore.

15+ Year Old Account
    That sounds awful. I hope it doesn't happen to me. Granted, my holy grail comes out next year so after that I'm at a loss of what games to look forward to.

I can't stay focused in any game that isn't wow for more than an 30 minutes, I get sick of wow after an hour, and usually just BS with people in discord.

Old fun is fun, new fun isn't as fun, if at all. Changing what is fun adapting it to youth and what they think is fun, has fucked us old fun people.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Thanks for reading.
    You're old and out of shape

Deleted
    Its common as it seems for our age. We are getting old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Old fun is fun, new fun isn't as fun, if at all. Changing what is fun adapting it to youth and what they think is fun, has fucked us old fun people.
    Agreed. I haven't touched WoW in months. It's just not fun anymore. It's the same rehashed content over and over. I did just (finally) get around to playing and finishing the first two Bioshock games. What great games! So much better than Infinite and much more fun than WoW, even considering I had to effectively spam quick-save for all Bioshock 2. Now I'm playing the original Borderlands (played 2 with a friend).