Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Except they're not.

They have zero backstory. No one gives a shit about them. Name one memorable Void related character that has any kind of backstory.
    Pandaria had zero backstory before and look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Its the george lucas and prequels syndrome all over again.

Someone should do a version with Warcraft and its writers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    Chris Metzen is a good idea man, but he only seemed to have like 3 ideas. He was really good at taking what worked in Warhammer fantasy (Humans fighting monsters) and 40k (Space Marines) and making that palatable to a wider audience. He hasn't ever been very good at writing.

I won't take away from his work on Warcraft 3 because that was a solid game, but like with Lucas and Star Wars it just appears to me to be an example of an idea man getting lucky. In terms of writing the majority of his creative output was poor to ok with one exception, in all cases the game carried the story. Warcraft hasn't gotten better since he retired either, it just traded derivatives for fan service. WoD and Legion could be used for case studies on pandering. (So could MoP...Hawwwwww)
    Most of the Warcraft stuff since he been retired has been in motion for a long time now. I doubt he got lucky either. You may think he isn't good but clearly there was something there.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The effects of the void are more interesting to me than the void itself which is why I can appreciate it while also reserving my desire to experience it in full. The unknown being able to manipulate, corrupt and create these grotesque aberrations and cultists creates a better story as opposed to putting a face on it to only find out it's some jacked up Blueberry pulling the strings talking grade school shit from a quasi-plain of non-existence where we proceed to hit it with a night light.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-07-05 at 11:51 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Yet you want a WotLK 2? That sounds even more dull - we've already done it. I couldn't be more excited for a more space based/exploration expansion. It has so much potential to create incredible psychedelic biomes that make no sense or have no place in Azeroth, and fresh new stories to match. I'd love so much to see more of the Ethereal and their backstory.
    Yes, because WotLK was objectively the peak of this game, and nothing's held a candle since then. There are plenty of plots in Northrend (and elsewhere in the world) that need resolving, unfortunately, the immature desire for "new and shiny" things eclipses that at times, so we're burdened with intergalactic crusades.

Psychadelic biomes? Count me out, that trash is an eyesore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    It was around cataclysm/d3/sc2 time when I think Metzen really went off the deep end and started to seriously fetishise the comic book writing. Sure, he was a fan before, but the influence really shows since then.
    As much as I was on board with the bash Metzen train, what's really changed since he's left? Kosak turned the franchise into Memecraft, and the current Story Team seems intent on one upping all of Metzen's worst traits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    I could say exactly the same of the Burning Legion right now. Anyway we don't need some shit lore from warcraft 3 that's been retconned almost every patch to have a good expansion. Mists is far above anything in Legion for example.
    Yeah, probably because Legion has been an utter failure of an expansion. Wrath beats Pandaria ten times over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where else can we go? Besides Azshara...

Unless Blizz just pulls some random new uber powerful characters out of their ass where is WoW gonna go? The devs don't want to do the Emerald Dream...Azshara is about it unless they decide to go Lich King 2.0 which would be kinda lame IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    My main fear for a void expansion is that Azshara would just be a side boss to N'Zoth and whoever else. I think Azshara should be her own expansion
    Then I guess Jaina should get her own as well since we're talking about hack job side mages. At least Jaina has titan power in her staff from ToT.

- - - Updated - - -

It was around cataclysm/d3/sc2 time when I think Metzen really went off the deep end and started to seriously fetishise the comic book writing. Sure, he was a fan before, but the influence really shows since then.
    Metzen was someone who probably got beaten up in high school and when he had this little inkling of fame went off the deep end. I mean look at him at Blizzcon and it's like who decided it was a good idea to put this guy on a panel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Agreed. I don't hate or even dislike Metzen but there's no doubt how the comic book influence went incredibly overboard in all of these franchises at basically the same time.

I wonder if the advanced technology in terms of graphics and cinematics didn't have a role in that. You surely have to put your wild dreams at bay when you lack the means to give them substance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

I mean, we know little about the void, it'll probably be more complex... at least I hope.

That said, old gods have have their classic faceless minions, but they generally control other races. A void themed raid will most likely contain cultists of any race, void creatures, faceless, dominated races and elementals, etc. There's enough for some flavor beyond black and purple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FLstudioApprentice View Post
    If they ever did an expansion on the Void/Old Gods, I really hope they let the gods play with our minds at random. Imagine being ecountered by a patrolling elite, but when you're almost dead it disappears and you actually lost no health, but you still tried because you don't know wether it was there or not, and other players just see you trippin' b*lls.
    The vision disappears and you've just murdered an orphanage full of children while screaming VOOOID MONSTERRRRS and foaming at the mouth.

Your opinion sucks.

See? Anyone can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    My main fear for a void expansion is that Azshara would just be a side boss to N'Zoth and whoever else. I think Azshara should be her own expansion
    So glad you are not designing the game then. Azshara has done nothing to deserve her own expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    It's quite simple, you play WoW day after day after day and need to be fed lore constantly. The sheer volume of it is what waters it down. Strategy games like Warcraft III are compact enough to allow very interesting stories to be told, without it being embedded in a mass of boring backstory.

- - - Updated - - -

The same guy was probably the main story "writer" for both Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 as the one who made up the Warcraft I/II/III stories - Chris Metzen.
    Lets hope Christie Golden does a beter job than Chris Metzen.

Worst thing Blizzard did was fail to expand on all the elements of their game sooner. They homogenized the faiths so even the whole Light faith is boring and dull,

Void: It's always been hinted at, and the only close connections people seem to have is Shadow Priests and The Cult of Forgotten Shadow. Void lords exist but only appear to be just... random units. There's not enough to know what the void is about. We know it houses void lords, and that scared Sargeras.

Light: The light originally was interesting, but swiftly became a boring, dull concept. Where priesthoods now draw on the light. There's no disparity beyond Elune and Loa. Humans, Dwarves, gnomes, blood elves, draenei, Tauren (somewhat) and worgen all believe the same thing. (practicing is a bit different). There's no unique detail between the racial faiths any more. The Light as a whole is no longer interesting on it's own. Where it could've easily been filled with gods, goddesses, primal essence... just. anything..

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    So glad you are not designing the game then. Azshara has done nothing to deserve her own expansion.
    I mean, there was that minor incident with a well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Most of the Warcraft stuff since he been retired has been in motion for a long time now. I doubt he got lucky either. You may think he isn't good but clearly there was something there.
    So he purposely wrote fantasy fan fiction for 20 years apart from that one time where he developed an actual character. Interesting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    So he purposely wrote fantasy fan fiction for 20 years apart from that one time where he developed an actual character. Interesting!
    It's not but fanfiction but ok, believe what you want with your snark.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's not but fanfiction but ok, believe what you want with your snark.
    Technically no, but if half the shit that's been piled onto Warcraft over the years was suggested in the lore section of this forum by a random poster it would have been rightly torn to shreds. Time travel, alternate universes, void lords, space ships, one legion, EVERY boss since Arthas, it's all forgettable, not engaging, or outright guff from a writing perspective. Where are the relatable characters? Where's the immersion? When you throw a bunch of shit at the wall to see what sticks you just end up with a mess. I don't want to seem like I dislike WoW because I don't, I still love the game but the story has never been good and that's a shame. All the characters anyone cares about are from WC3, and of those only a few of them had any depth.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-07-07 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Yes, because WotLK was objectively the peak of this game, and nothing's held a candle since then. There are plenty of plots in Northrend (and elsewhere in the world) that need resolving, unfortunately, the immature desire for "new and shiny" things eclipses that at times, so we're burdened with intergalactic crusades.

Psychadelic biomes? Count me out, that trash is an eyesore.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I was on board with the bash Metzen train, what's really changed since he's left? Kosak turned the franchise into Memecraft, and the current Story Team seems intent on one upping all of Metzen's worst traits.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, probably because Legion has been an utter failure of an expansion. Wrath beats Pandaria ten times over.
    WotLK was good therefore a WotLK 2 must be good... yeah it doesn't really work like that. People want new and shiny because they don't want an expansion of loose ends that people think hey want tying up. There is just so many more exciting avenues to explore, that's not immature in any regard and it's what Blizzard has always done.

If you want a WotLK 2, go play a private server. I doubt they'll ever revisit it with the way the story is going, and if they did it's patch content, not an expansion.

Legion is a failure of an expansion? I'd say this expansion is the most positive during its tenure from the posts and reviews I've seen.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Agreed

South seas homever... with pirates and shit