Is gsync worth it?

So I was just forced to upgrade my gpu(my 970 burnt out) and I got a 1080 ftw2. Now I'm trying to invest in a new monitor. Now I know gsync is all the buzz now but I'm not exactly sure what it does and if it's worth the money o get a gsync monitor over one without. I'm looking for a 4k monitor to actually utilize the 1080(and I may even upgrade to a ti within the 90 upgrade program). Now I don't want to send $1000 on a monitor and I know that may be frowned upon, but I'm trying to figure it a good 27" 4k monitor and just wanted to see if gsync is a necessity or a nice to have.

It really depends on the game, and how sensitive you are to stutter. Most people are going to be perfectly happy using vsync on a 60hz monitor, but once you go to 144hz there really is no going back. If you can hit monitors refresh rate in most of the games you play, fast sync is all you need.

This is the monitor i own, not only is it the most affordable gsync 1440p monitor, imo its one of the best:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cwg...onitor-s2417dg

There is a 27" version for 140 bucks more:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcT...onitor-s2716dg
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-07-06 at 06:45 PM.

I'd consider going 1440p with a 1080 instead. It's a little too weak for 4k unless you don't mind playing with lower details. I'd definitely get Gsync too, as you won't get 100+ fps to eliminate tearing @1440p.

I've honestly never experienced tearing in my 10+ years of pc gaming..not sayin it doesn't happen but I've never personally experienced it.

Tearing isnt very noticeable on a 144hz monitor, gsync really is for games where you wont hit 144 FPS and are going to be under the refresh rate of your monitor a lot of time (WoW for example, witcher 3, etc etc). With the dell you hardly pay any premium for gsync, its already one of the better looking 1440p 165hz monitors, dell was cool and didnt charge a crazy premium like asus tends to.

In fact asus sells a 1080p gsync monitor that costs 50 bucks more, rip off.

I got convinced to get g-sync monitor on my last upgrade and yes it was worth it... things just play smoother even WoW. turning, and looking around just feels and looks more fluid than my 1080 monitors.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    I got convinced to get g-sync monitor on my last upgrade and yes it was worth it... things just play smoother even WoW. turning, and looking around just feels and looks more fluid than my 1080 monitors.
    Dont confuse gsync with 144hz, as they come bundled together most times. The high refresh rate is what is giving you that smoothness.

What gsync does is give the perfect 1:1 experience that vsync gives, but at any fps from 30-165 (for the dell). If you mostly play shooters for example and are going to be above 144 fps, gsync isnt worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Dont confuse gsync with 144hz, as they come bundled together most times. The high refresh rate is what is giving you that smoothness.

What gsync does is give the perfect 1:1 experience that vsync gives, but at any fps from 30-165 (for the dell). If you mostly play shooters for example and are going to be above 144 fps, gsync isnt worth it.
    i'm mostly playing wow at max 10 even in raids so it helps I'm sure.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22