Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    O.o that' some BS... as a conservative that believes in a low federal wage, it should be up to states/cities to adjust from that. Cost of living is varied for sweeping law like that.. wow.
    Regardless of your political leanings or your views on the poor, this is what it comes down to.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I dont quiet understand your point here.

I wasn't making minimum wage at my last job. I was making 25 centers over it. Which is common: making barely over minimum because employers often use the minimum wage as a base to set their other wages.
    My point is to listen to people talk here the vast majority of people have zerio ambition and live on minimum wage when realistically its VERY few people and most of them are kids and the money is likely just beer and candy money.

The number of actual adults on Minimum wage especially those with a family is very close to zero because exactly like I said people gain skills and move up. Even if its in McDonald's from fry cook to shift leader and from 7.50 a hour to 9 a hour.

Anyone who sits on minimum wage and bitches is not even trying and just expects someone else to work for them .... I dont believe in minimum wage I think it should be zero ...

OTOH I strongly believe in a solid health care plan and a good educational system to provide people with the necessary skills to move on. Of course I dont think everyone deserves Harvard but a local community college should be accessible to all.

With that said you realize if your smart enough to get into a big college like Harvard etc most of them have VERY generous scholarship programs for needy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Regardless of your political leanings or your views on the poor, this is what it comes down to.
    It does, there very much does need to be a min wage based on the circumstances of every state.

However. I do not believe there are currently ANY states that have a minimum wage that is anywhere near what would be considered a living wage for the majority of their state.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

I dont quiet understand your point here.

I wasn't making minimum wage at my last job. I was making 25 centers over it. Which is common: making barely over minimum because employers often use the minimum wage as a base to set their other wages.

- - - Updated - - -
    Did you want to stay at this job or have the desire to look elsewhere? Did you move on? How are you now?

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    You arent really playing devils advocate because thats the result of the minimum wage laws that you support.
    And you think that's actually going to be improved if minimum wage becomes so low that staying at home, collecting welfare and maybe working part-time under the table/in the black market will more profitable and far less time consuming?

No problem is actually being solved here. This a measure dictated by ideology far more than by pragmatism.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Carrying coal is a more skilled job than flipping burgers......so is working in a manufacturing plant......or wait. it isn't. I love watching basically unskilled labor bitch about other unskilled labor. So fun! "My factory job where I push buttons is so much more prestigious and worth while than your food production job!" All these battles are to make one class of people some how feel their job is more important and "harder."
    I'll keep it simple for you. Retail and Service jobs our are new manufacturing jobs. The Trumpkins, who cry about jobs were same people who got these jobs out of high school or less. Same with the coal cry babies. Skills learned were on the job training.

Once again these jobs are not coming back; basic manufacturing and coal. We are a consumer nation. So these same people turn to retail and service.

5 of America's fastest growing jobs pay less than $25,000
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2017-07-03 at 08:29 PM.

A company can still pay its workers 10$ at a minimum they just are no longer being forced to. Also who knows what the standard of living is in Missouri as well as what the current state minimum wage is b4 this law. If the citizens want a higher minimum wage then vote in a state goverment willing to force the change on local businesses. 7.70 seems fine to me, I used to make 8 somthing an hour in my first job out of high school. I now make 11 somthing an hour.

It does, there very much does need to be a min wage based on the circumstances of every state.

However. I do not believe there are currently ANY states that have a minimum wage that is anywhere near what would be considered a living wage for the majority of their state.
    It should be raised to atleast 15 pref 18

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Mandatory reminder that Trump did not win the popular vote so no, a majority of America doesn't agree with those sentiments in fact.
    also many of his voters now realize the mistake they made and they would never repeat their vote on that day if given the chance to go back. we were in a shit spot though because only 2 candidates had a shot at winning and they were both completely terrible for the country.

we need a young leader, these old f*cks like trump spouting off stuff they heard in the 60's doesn't work in today's world. the hard fact is that there isn't a job for everyone at the moment and it won't be possible to create them moving forward, automation will be taking a massive chunk(at least 1/3) of current jobs away as we move forward with technology. many people reject new ideas on the basis that they are new ideas, or because they are too dense to see the reasoning, but basic income is the way of the future. people who work will make more, but those who can't because there isn't a job for everyone won't be out on their ass and treated like a lower class of person. social stature nonsense is also a big reason people don't want basic income and i could talk about this for days, but most people have already picked a side on this topic so it's pointless to argue. i'll just say that i have yet to hear a single rebuttal to it that is actually logical and makes any sort of sense in the world we live in, some of them could possibly make sense if you remove technology advancements and the onset of automation, but i'd love to hear a logical rebuttal to the idea, as long as it's a reason why it wouldn't work, and not a reason why you personally don't like the idea. will be hard to do since it's already been established around the world and has worked out better than expected every time. you could cut out welfare and use all that money towards it, you could cut out a few hundred billion from the 1%ers's and they'll still be able to afford their mansions and cars, people wouldn't need to steal and be so shitty so the amount needed to fund prison would go way down and that money could be used for it. these are all just real things that can and will happen, but those of us with a brain have to wait for people without to catch up, and it's fucking annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    My point is to listen to people talk here the vast majority of people have zerio ambition and live on minimum wage when realistically its VERY few people and most of them are kids and the money is likely just beer and candy money.

The number of actual adults on Minimum wage especially those with a family is very close to zero because exactly like I said people gain skills and move up. Even if its in McDonald's from fry cook to shift leader and from 7.50 a hour to 9 a hour.

Anyone who sits on minimum wage and bitches is not even trying and just expects someone else to work for them .... I dont believe in minimum wage I think it should be zero ...

OTOH I strongly believe in a solid health care plan and a good educational system to provide people with the necessary skills to move on. Of course I dont think everyone deserves Harvard but a local community college should be accessible to all.

With that said you realize if your smart enough to get into a big college like Harvard etc most of them have VERY generous scholarship programs for needy people.
    My experiences differ notably from that. Once more, basing on my own area most adults have many years of experience in various fields, but $14+ an hour is considered good pay, but still not enough to live on. This is something thats common for the entire area. You have to aspire for management to make even that $14 an hour.

They aren't making minimum no, but they are also not making anything that could be considered good pay. The area is also slowly dying off and why? Because no one can afford to buy anything past their needs. Because no one can even afford to pay taxes so local everything goes underfunded. Because no matter your age or skill level you're likely not going to be making a decent wage.

This is true here in Louisianna. It was true when I lived in Massachusetts where most jobs were local and all of them paid shit. This was true when I lived in Florida where it would take 30+ years in a field to make a decent wage, its been true from many of my friends online.

By and large, people are barely making enough to live off of, no matter their skill level. No matter their experience. Its only getting worse as the inflation continues spiraling out of control and wages stay low.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you want to stay at this job or have the desire to look elsewhere? Did you move on? How are you now?
    I went to another job, where I quickly worked up the ranks from just over minimum wage to now being part of management, and still not making enough to live on my own.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min.../2015/home.htm

Ok let's look at the numbers of the 78 million hourly workers in USA only 870k are paid minimum wage. With another 1.7 million paid less than minimum wage, I assume these are mostly servers who also are paid in tips and likely earn reasonably above once actual tips plus wage is included. Since 1979 when they first started to track this information people earning at or below minimum wage has gone from 13.4 % to 3.9%. Also 50% of these people are under the age of 25 so it looks like the vast majority of people do find work that pays better than minimum wage and the majority of them are youth workers who are just getting started in life. So what's the argument about when just like I said any adult who still has a minimum wage job needs to grow some ambition and move up.
    You do know a dollar over minimum wage is still going to be considered above minimum wage, right?

And if minimum wage itself isn't exactly enough to still live off of, so a dollar more isn't making a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    And you think that's actually going to be improved if minimum wage becomes so low that staying at home, collecting welfare and maybe working part-time under the table/in the black market will more profitable and far less time consuming?

No problem is actually being solved here. This a measure dictated by ideology far more than by pragmatism.
    That's more than a little overstated. There are very, very few jobs which actually pay minimum wage, and they're generally part-time help for small businesses - the ones who have to pay under the table if minimum wage is set too high.
    I happen to agree that in general minimum wage is too low, but let's not use easily dismissed hyperbole to make our arguments, it only strengthens the opposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

- - - Updated - - -

I went to another job, where I quickly worked up the ranks from just over minimum wage to now being part of management, and still not making enough to live on my own.
    BUT you had the ambition and desire to move up. That's what life is designed to do, start at a lower wage gain skill and experience and move up. Not everyone can live alone sometimes you need a roommate and its part of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I'll keep it simple for you. Retail and Service jobs our are new manufacturing jobs. The Trumpkins, who cry about jobs were same people who got these jobs out of high school or less. Same with the coal cry babies. Skills learned were on the job training.

Once again these jobs are not coming back; basic manufacturing and coal. We are a consumer nation. So these same people turn to retail and service.
    Have fun doing those when robots take over everything... Automization is the largest threat to the economy today, including self driving vehicles. So much of America will become bankrupt if self driving trucks become a thing.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    That's more than a little overstated. There are very, very few jobs which actually pay minimum wage, and they're generally part-time help for small businesses - the ones who have to pay under the table if minimum wage is set too hight.
    I happen to agree that in general minimum wage is too low, but let's not use easily dismissed hyperbole to make our arguments, it only strengthens the opposition.
    The problem is yes, its rare to be paid out at minimum.

However, many jobs pay barely over min, so statistics wise they wouldn't show (once more, I've in the past worked for 25 cents over minimum). Likewise employers do use the minimum as a sort of base for their other wages.

Wages are extremly low right now. So much so that a minimum wage increase wouldn't mean much unless it was 5-10 dollars per state.

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Maybe you should, you might learn something. I dont really consider PhD in economics as pseudo intellectual though.
    Sowell is well-regarded by conservative media, not by economists.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Because everyone under the age of 25 is just irresponsible. No kids, just beer and candy.

Being barely above minimum wage isn't enough. Which is why the cities in Missouri needed the raise.

You keep missing the point of minimum wage. It's not to incentivize you to get a better job, it's to ensure no matter what job you have it pays a livable wage. Seeing as how the federal minimum wage has not kept up with the growth of inflation it is no longer a livable wage and needs to be increased.

It's not about people being lazy, it's about people receiving what they are owed.

Funny how you are against people who are working and trying to receiving a livable wage but you are for students not working and receiving free stuff........

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    You do know a dollar over minimum wage is still going to be considered above minimum wage, right?

And if minimum wage itself isn't exactly enough to still live off of, so a dollar more isn't making a huge difference.
    A dollar more is a dollar more .. what you need to do next is ask yourself what does my boss do .. how do I get that job and work towards it because you can beleive hes asking the same questions ... Look around find a job that pays a little more..

HELL yes open a company and work from it part time ..

There are a LOT of ways to move on and do it...

I now run a reasonably successful small business and I stated with zero loans and little investment .. it was just a self employment job to start with and I have 6 employees now all of which earn a living wage because ... well if I didnt pay a living wage someone else would they are smart people

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post

Thats a problem with welfare rather than minimum wage.

I'm waiting for you to show me any website that says minimum wage pays a living wage for a single person much less a family.

Bill gates dropped out

Zuckerberg also dropped out

Steve jobs ohhhh also dropped out

All it takes is ambition and a decent idea.
    Soo everyone should come up with an idea that will land in success?

What's your brilliant idea or product that your contributing?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.