Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    Im not quite sure what you are saying. What QA manager are you even talking about?

The kind historian called NineSpine told me it was "to prevent exploitation of women and children (those were the only groups they were proposed to apply to)". I guess men have no reason to complain about the mininum wage then.

Still, im pretty sure adults are not meant to earn minimum wage. For prolonged periods of time at least.
    I pretty much told you the exact opposite of that. The initial proposals were to prevent exploitation, including exploitation of adult women. The federal proposals were to make sure consumers, who are generally adults, had money to spend and could survive. You are welcome to disagree with these reasons, but you keep pretending you have some grasp on the historical or economic reasons the minimum wage was established, and you just don't. Again, disagree with why it was established or disagree with it existing, that's great, but stop pretending to have some objective high ground where you understand the purpose and others do not, because the truth is the opposite.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    Im a programmer making 90k. Even though I might not be rich, I would not classify myself as a "low paid individual".

But do go on. Keep making assumptions about me.
    You are low paid... but go on, keep making assumptions about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Since when are minimum wage jobs something you stay at forever.. Isn't minimum wage jobs suppose to be for teenageers, young adults..
    Someones first job.. or a job on the side whilst attending College/university
    Yes, all those teenagers and college age adults that will work the lunch-rush at McDonalds.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still wondering why people feel like someone working 40 hours a week should still require government assistance.

Other than people enjoying being dicks to others I suppose.

So I ask again -- why should tax dollars be going to subsidizing labor for businesses?

The problem is the market value of human labor isn't directly tied to the financial requirements for living. So sure you can say well these people's labor isn't worth much, but so what? Yeah you're right, but does that mean they should just fucking die off? This is exactly why conservatives get called heartless.

Technology is constantly advancing and constantly making it so we can do a lot more production with a lot less labor. Unskilled labor will keep getting cheaper and cheaper, but the cost of living does not. Either you come up with some sort of solution such as a minimum wage that at least covers the basics, or you work on some sort of financial redistribution/resource sharing, or you are for killing off portions of the population. That's really the only alternatives. Anything else is just waffling because you don't want to say what you're actually supporting.

And, with regard to the excuse "well people should just all get skilled!", think for 10 seconds, realize why that's silly, and don't waste our time posting it.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Still wondering why people feel like someone working 40 hours a week should still require government assistance.

Other than people enjoying being dicks to others I suppose.

So I ask again -- why should tax dollars be going to subsidizing labor for businesses?
    It has a lot to do with these people drawing their own self worth by how much better they are doing than those below them on the ladder.

The push against increased minimum wage has nothing to do with actual economics to these folks. Just pure blind egoism. It's very obvious in the language they use when discussing the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    It has a lot to do with these people drawing their own self worth by how much better they are doing than those below them on the ladder.

The push against increased minimum wage has nothing to do with actual economics to these folks. Just pure blind egoism. It's very obvious in the language they use when discussing the topic.
    In the realm of arguing against your own self-interest -- an increase in minimum wage would most likely result in increases (albeit smaller as you go up) in the wages above minimum wage.

So someone making $15/hr now feeling all threatened by an increase in minimum wage isn't realize that they would likely benefit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    He's actually very well-compensated for a 'programmer' (even more so if he's outside of a major tech hub). Only people in the industry who call themselves 'programmers' are students, Indian visas, new, naive juniors, and lowly paid veterans. It's actually one of the worst things to say and something that has been attached to negative connotations for nearly the past decade (as it gives the perception that you only know how to code). Eventually, our egos get the better of us--and boy is our industry egotistical--and we realize that we should call ourselves engineers, developers, etc., as well as associate instead of junior.

In the realm of arguing against your own self-interest -- an increase in minimum wage would most likely result in increases (albeit smaller as you go up) in the wages above minimum wage.

So someone making $15/hr now feeling all threatened by an increase in minimum wage isn't realize that they would likely benefit as well.
    It's not going to make logical sense. The thoughts are those born of emotion.

My lowest paid employee makes 162DKK ($24.71) hourly.

He sweep the floors and clean the machines.

..And hes a good guy so we all like him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    If your a adult who actually earns minimum wage maybe consider learning some skill that is actually productive? I mean the way it sounds 99% of people earn min wage.
    Good luck with that...not everyone can afford a education, especially when they need to work while getting it...even then if you get training in a field that requires special training or education....usually people want applicants who're experience in the field A.K.A. not newcomers out of school.

So not only did you spend time you could of been working to get trained in a field for nothing...you're even deeper in the hole than you were beforehand thanks to the costs of that education.

But I guess you're someone who only sees in black and white and only cares about yourself, because you obviously can't understand that some people want things to be better for more than just themselves?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    How much do i need to make, to get out of the low paid bracket then?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    My lowest paid employee makes 162DKK ($24.71) hourly.

He sweep the floors and clean the machines.

..And hes a good guy so we all like him.
    Damn, where do you live that someone makes that much for that work?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Damn, where do you live that someone makes that much for that work?
    DKK is danish crowns, so a qualified guess would be Denmark. But damn, 162 DKK is still a lot for what I expect is unskilled labour. That usually runs in the 110-120 DKK wage range, so 16-18 dollars an hour.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    DKK is danish crowns, so a qualified guess would be Denmark. But damn, 162 DKK is still a lot for what I expect is unskilled labour. That usually runs in the 110-120 DKK wage range, so 16-18 dollars an hour.
    I'll admit, it's kind of depressing seeing that unskilled labor jobs can easily make more than I do in other parts of the world after all the training, schooling, and experience I've needed to get where I am. T_T But all I can do is wish them well and congratulate them on a better economy.

Except you aren't as tax dollars are subsidizing the cost of labor for businesses with a minimum wage that is too low. So, in fact, you aren't being paid market value. Something conservatives conveniently like to ignore in their "Free market" mental masturbation.
    I know what we should do!

Get another 10 million or so illegal immigrants into our country! That will increase wages!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    I know what we should do!

Get another 10 million or so illegal immigrants into our country! That will increase wages!
    I guess if you don't have a better comeback tossing out an unrelated attack on a separate topic is...something.

Funny how ppl think increasing the minimum wage automatically means ppl will make more money. Any company that can't afford to pay more than minimum wage or is unwillingly to pay more will simply cut hours and/or benefits to compensate.

Something similar happened in my state where they tried to lower the required hours to be a full time employee from 35 to 30. All that ended up happening is those companies cut hours from 34 to 29. Hurting those part time workers who needed those hours.

And tbh if ur working for somewhere that is only playing minimum wage, u need to find a new job or work towards getting the skills needed to get a better job. No amount of legislation will fix that job from being shitty. U r the only one who can improve ur life. Neither democrats or republicans care enough about u to improve ur life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lowering wages will help deflate prices in Missouri, and it's already quite a bit, besides low skilled labor work doesn't deserve $10 an hour.

Deleted
    This is fucking awesome: fire one guy recruit two guys! This is what Trump promised: JOBS JOBS JOBS! You should pray to trump tbh - he is Americans savior.