Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Terror attacks receive five times more media coverage if perpetrator is Muslim

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7820726.html

Muslims carried out just 12.4 per cent of attacks in the US but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage

That is an interesting statistic. Fits into the idea of the "others" being responsible for everything.
    You can't fix stupid. But damn it you can troll it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its because they are seen as ''outsiders'' and not like, ''real'' full blooded americans or whatever. Could be, not really sure.

Deleted
    Muslims are just 0.9% of the US population, but carry out 12.4% of terror attacks? They are quite overrepresented, Tennisape will be concerned.

Wow that's so racist, oh wait islam is a religion it's not a race. So what if they are covered more in the media? like Rock said they are seen as outsiders and how thevoice pointed out they are a super small minority but carry out so many attacks. It's like the 13% black & 50% of the crimes statistic all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racism sells.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

If it's not a white person, scream racism, folks will believe it.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Racism sells.
    If Islam is the problem how is it racism

Is there any source on that? When you google it it is reported by several web sites, but all just quote some mysterious "academic study".
    The numbers don't add up, and it is ambivalent if "between 2011 and 2015" includes the end dates, which would obviously explain the major concentration on muslim terror in that timespan.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not suprising, since it is the latest wave of terror.
    It was the same when western Europe suffered from the leftwing terror waves or rightwing.

We never had Muslim terror but we do now.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobblo View Post
    I am a little confused, but 12.4% x 5 = 62.0% and not 41.4%.
    (41,4 / 12,4) ~= 5 * (100 - 41,4) / (100 - 12,4)

Yeah, it's unfair that all the other ideological groupings whose members flew hijacked airliners into buildings, killing thousands, aren't being discussed.

Oh wait.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fotmyo View Post
    Easy target a group typically associated with People of Color. Use religion as a cover to not come across racist.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Racism sells.
    Muslim isn't a race

Easy target a group typically associated with People of Color. Use religion as a cover to not come across racist.
    Yup, it is dishonest to separate islamophobia from racism against middle easterners.

Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    Wow that's so racist, oh wait islam is a religion it's not a race.
    Quote Originally Posted by fotmyo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Muslim isn't a race
    They go hand in hand. People are scared of them bearded brown folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post

People are scared of Jesus?

Yup, it is dishonest to separate islamophobia from racism against middle easterners.
    Most of the muslims that I interact with are malays. On a personal level I don't like muslims particularly much but there are barely any arab muslims here.

If we're talking about arabs then they can hardly be called brown as they more often look white.

cant seam to find a working link to the study it self anyone got one?

"If I just remove context and nuance I can ALWAYS be right!"

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Muslims are just 0.9% of the US population, but carry out 12.4% of terror attacks? They are quite overrepresented, Tennisape will be concerned.
    This.
    Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away.

Now let's look at how many terrorist attacks are carried out by every other group of people compared with muslims. I think that'll be much more interesting.
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7820726.html

Muslims carried out just 12.4 per cent of attacks in the US but received 41.4 per cent of news coverage

That is an interesting statistic. Fits into the idea of the "others" being responsible for everything.
    This not true, I see big stories about violent anti Trump supporters all the time.