Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post

For facts on history and all that stuff, Wikipedia is excellent. For more of the subjective social justice parts however, they are extreme leftist.

But I do agree on the link anyways, I don't think in that context you should be held accountable for discriminating though. Or else, you should be held accountable for being intolerant of nazi's. Just as I said earlier. And try to not answer just with a link this time.
    Intolerance against Nazis is not discrimination, its acting on criminal behavior. on the same note painting a certain group bad by covering their criminal minority more is not acting against criminal behavior, it's discrimination against said group.

Quote Originally Posted by LMuhlen View Post
    (41,4 / 12,4) ~= 5 * (100 - 41,4) / (100 - 12,4)
    Whut?

Nvm Gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    1.2 A group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.

Are you telling me that Islamic culture does not exist?
    Depends, I could call myself muslim tomorrow and I would not share any history language or culture with them. If I want to be really picky, everyone is 1 culture since we all share 1 culture which is homo sapiens. The only thing uniting muslims from Arabia to Indonesia to Somalia to Paris and to London is 1 thing. Their ''holy'' book. Do you want to say I in Europe share a culture with a black man in Louisiana because we both are Christian? So we are 1 race? Thus if you are racists against black people, I should be offended too?

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Whut ?
    i share your confusion seams like a prime example of using statistical manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post

Now let's look at how many terrorist attacks are carried out by every other group of people compared with muslims. I think that'll be much more interesting.
    I mean; I'll be the first to admit I take a first glance at stuff and run with it but if muslims committed 12.4% of the attacks... it stands to reason that every other group carried out the other 87.6%...
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Racism typically includes more than just the "race". Culture, religion, ethnicity, etc.
    That's called Prejudice, racism is a form of prejudice that is based ONLY on race. Every one is a little prejudice, like I am prejudice against people who don't understand what racism is.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    i share your confusion seams like a prime example of using statistical manipulation.
    I think it was just poorly written out as this is a text forum (not bashing teh person who wrote it)

I think it was meant as

(41,4 / 12,4) ~= 5 * [(100 - 41,4) / (100 - 12,4)]

which is true (41.4 / 12.4) is roughly a fifth of (58.6/87.6).
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2017-07-04 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    washingtonpost run the story back in March.

Here's the paper if you're curious about its findings or its authors.
    Thanks.

Now when looking at those numbers, you see their dataset were 2413 articles (which I may add I find quite low).
    Now when you remove the Boston Marathon event from that dataset, the numbers severly change, and instead of a coverage of 41% it goes down to 27%. So one event alone changes the number by 35%. Those are numbers are not stressable and you will get highly different numbers depending on the timespan you look at.

While it still shows that muslim attacks are overproportionally regarded in the media, it's by far not as bad as displayed. It just happens that with the Boston Marathon attack one major incident did take place in the investigated time span that completely bloats the result with a high interest in the bombing itself as well as the apprehending of the fugitive bomber.

<tinfoil hat lunacy>
    You're awesome where ahve you been from MMO-OT these last few years? Or are you another shitty name/avatar change :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Intolerance against Nazis is not discrimination, its acting on criminal behavior. on the same note painting a certain group bad by covering their criminal minority more is not acting against criminal behavior, it's discrimination against said group.
    I don't want to compare muslims to nazi's, but nazi's are always a clear example to compare.

Not all nazi's are engaging in any criminal behaviour. Far from it. They have a certain ideology which justifies certain behaviour. This doesn't mean all individuals engage in such behaviour, but it is about which individuals do this and how many, and especially how they interpret their own ideology. No matter how many people do not engage in this criminal behaviour, you should always question a certain ideology which does justify certain criminal behaviour.

Note how you can replace nazi's with islam and you have your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    1.2 A group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group.

Are you telling me that Islamic culture does not exist?
    That interpretation has literally nothing to do with racism (and didnt event exist when the word racism first 'became a thing' - it is instead, naturally, based on the scientifically defined term "race"(which happens to be the prime definition in your own link, for a good reason). Which you yourself would understand if you actually read the entry for "racism" itself - which clearly shows that racism is all about viewing the inherent traits of another race as inferior - the whole point of it is that you can never stop being inferior (if you belong to a so called inferior race), in the eyes of a racist. Which automatically excludes religion as well as culture from the equation, since they are neither inherent nor permanent traits. Xenophobia and bigotry can certainly be a thing when talking about islam - racism, however, certainly can not.
    Last edited by Sama-81; 2017-07-04 at 03:44 PM.

Deleted
    You're awesome where ahve you been from MMO-OT these last few years? Or are you another shitty name/avatar change :P
    I'm always here lurking, sometimes answering when my tinfoil hate is on

But where did you answer on or what did you think is tinfoil hate lunacy? Please enlighten me because I want to learn from someone else's opinion.

Deleted
    I think it was meant as

(41,4 / 12,4) ~= 5 * [(100 - 41,4) / (100 - 12,4)]
    Parenthesis never hurt, but I don't see how the order of operations would change anything.
    5 * (A) / (B) = 5 * [(A) / (B)] = [5 * (A)] / (B)

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, I could call myself muslim tomorrow and I would not share any history language or culture with them.
    Generally not how conversion happens, you don't just decide to follow x religion without reason. That reason usually comes from knowing about parts of the culture and history and wanting to incorporate the beliefs into your life.

If I want to be really picky, everyone is 1 culture since we all share 1 culture which is homo sapiens.
    And?

The only thing uniting muslims from Arabia to Indonesia to Somalia to Paris and to London is 1 thing. Their ''holy'' book. Do you want to say I in Europe share a culture with a black man in Louisiana because we both are Christian? So we are 1 race? Thus if you are racists against black people, I should be offended too?
    The race could be black, just as the race could be Christian. Just because something is one thing, doesn't mean it can't be another thing at the same time.
    Speciation Is Gradual

I don't want to compare muslims to nazi's, but nazi's are always a clear example to compare.

Not all nazi's are engaging in any criminal behaviour. Far from it. They have a certain ideology which justifies certain behaviour. This doesn't mean all individuals engage in such behaviour, but it is about which individuals do this and how many, and especially how they interpret their own ideology. No matter how many people do not engage in this criminal behaviour, you should always question a certain ideology which does justify certain criminal behaviour.

Note how you can replace nazi's with islam and you have your answer.
    I thought we are talking about covering actual news stories ( regarding acts of terror in the West) and not criticisms pieces. In that context I think what Nazis actually did is not covered as much as it should be, while a few instances of muslim extremism is bolded.
    If we are talking about criticism, you are free to discuss any topic as much as you want, I'm all for debate and exploring different ideologies.

I'm always here lurking, sometimes answering when my tinfoil hate is on

But where did you answer on or what did you think is tinfoil hate lunacy? Please enlighten me because I want to learn from someone else's opinion.
    Tinfoil is a reference to the classic "wear a hat made of tinfoil on your head so the government can't use its satellites to control your mind" thingy.

Lunacy I think had something to do with people who go a bit mental once a month. Using teh adjective "large" to describe that portion of Islam that is waging war against the west seems a bit paranoid. Espectially if you consider those parts of the West that have been at war with Islamic nations (christian rhetoric of contemporary leaders notwithstanding) in the last few decades.

You claim it is "mindblowing" that people could deny that there is a war being waged against the west. Really?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Easy target a group typically associated with People of Color. Use religion as a cover to not come across racist.
    Or maybe people disagree with the ideology.

Anyhow, I wonder what the statistics look like for police killings of black people vs white people. I'm sure there's a similar pattern there.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    Parenthesis never hurt, but I don't see how the order of operations would change anything.
    5 * (A) / (B) = 5 * [(A) / (B)] = [5 * (A)] / (B)
    You're absolutely correct but considering how many of those shitty "Even a first year university maths student gets this wrong!" posts containing badly written ambiguous equations there are on facebook; it makes me tilt Parathesis are imperative imo, can't have too many of them. The guy wrote it fine; but seeing as I wasn't the only maths scrub to become temporarily confused by it; it can't hurt as you say, yo add more ;D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Thanks.

Now when looking at those numbers, you see their dataset were 2413 articles (which I may add I find quite low).
    Now when you remove the Boston Marathon event from that dataset, the numbers severly change, and instead of a coverage of 41% it goes down to 27%. So one event alone changes the number by 35%. Those are numbers are not stressable and you will get highly different numbers depending on the timespan you look at.

While it still shows that muslim attacks are overproportionally regarded in the media, it's by far not as bad as displayed. It just happens that with the Boston Marathon attack one major incident did take place in the investigated time span that completely bloats the result with a high interest in the bombing itself as well as the apprehending of the fugitive bomber.
    It's just like the "Majority of fatal attacks done by white supremacists, not Muslims" line they used to run with for a while. It was true only counting from 9/11 onward. And a single event (the Orlando shooting) turned the tables.
    Speaking about terrorism is a massive exercise on cherry picking.

I generally agree that anti-Muslim bias is disproportionate, be it in media reporting or elsewhere. But putting numbers on it is bound to produce whatever the researchers want it to produce.

- - - Updated - - -

You're absolutely correct but considering how many of those shitty "Even a first year university maths student gets this wrong!" posts containing badly written ambiguous equations there are on facebook; it makes me tilt Parathesis are imperative imo, can't have too many of them. The guy wrote it fine; but seeing as I wasn't the only maths scrub to become temporarily confused by it; it can't hurt as you say, yo add more ;D
    Absolutely. The ambiguous stuff is the worst.
    Last edited by mmoc003aca7d8e; 2017-07-04 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pushing a narrative. What do you expect? Muslims are terrorists and white people are normal. That's what they want you to think.
    Putin khuliyo