Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    This is an attempt at humor, right.
    Nope just an ignorant troll trying to push back the unavoidable coming of the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Well, on this one you can thank the wasteful culture of North America, with oversized cars and pointlessly big engines. My car can routinely do 900 to 1100 km between each refill.
    But your penis must be so small if you can't drive 10000 miles while hauling a statue of Emperor Dump!

[Infracted]
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-07-07 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    Also, I foresee some problems with charging trends. Many people will plug their cars up when they get home. Long hot Summers where the AC is drinking current in the day and cars are drinking at night might be a very heavy strain for our systems to deal with.
    What's the logic here ?
    I mean, if you were arguing "if the cars are charged during the day, with AC on top of that, we might overload the grid", that would be either true or false, but logical.
    But the argument that adding more draw on the grid during the moments where it's at its lowest demand... what's the problem ? It means a more evenly distributed load, so on the opposite it makes for a better distribution (that's the reason why power is less costly at night, duh).

Does it make a sound? No. Will I buy it? No.

Eat grass, hippy peeps. I need my M240i and his incredible sound when I hit the pedal. Tesla and all other silent killer manufacturers can eat sacks for all I care.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Does it make a sound? No. Will I buy it? No.

Eat grass, hippy peeps. I need my M240i and his incredible sound when I hit the pedal. Tesla and all other silent killer manufacturers can eat sacks for all I care.
    Way to pretend to be alpha because you're shittier than an omega?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhdurr View Post
    Way to pretend to be alpha because you're shittier than an omega?
    I'd rather be a Zeta

What's the logic here ?
    I mean, if you were arguing "if the cars are charged during the day, with AC on top of that, we might overload the grid", that would be either true or false, but logical.
    But the argument that adding more draw on the grid during the moments where it's at its lowest demand... what's the problem ? It means a more evenly distributed load, so on the opposite it makes for a better distribution (that's the reason why power is less costly at night, duh).
    It's not a problem other than complete retard morons can't imagine the future. It's litterally SAD! as dumpster would put it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the logic here ?
    Well, remember how teatime in britain lead to huge surge in electricity demands? That basically it but 24/7. Regardless of what you think replacing fuel with electricity will create a huge load on electricity grid, and depending on its condition it may or may not lead to problems.
    Also i'm kinda afraid of how batteries will work in extreme heat (California i think had quite a heat surge recently), dozens of cars sitting in trafic under open sun can't be good for batteries
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-07-07 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Well, remember how teatime in britain leads to huge surge in electricity demands? That basically it but 24/7. Regardless of what you think replacing fuel with electricity will create a huge load on electricity grid, and depending on its condition it may or may not lead to problems.
    Also i'm kinda afraid of how batteries will work in extreme heat (California i think had quite a heat surge recently), dozens of cars sitting in trafic under open sun can't be good for batteries
    Boohoo! I can't imagine anything getting better so fuck trying to make things better.

The truth is batteries will get better; electric motors will get better; electric brakes will get better. The problem is ignorant fuck ass morons fighting the transition, and research, and development of the technology.

And it's totally from the right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boohoo! I can't imagine anything getting better so fuck trying to make things better.

The truth is batteries will get better; electric motors will get better; electric brakes will get better. The problem is ignorant fuck ass morons fighting the transition, and research, and development of the technology.

releasing something that haven't passed proper field testing yet is not "transition" or "research" or "development" of technology. Just saying.

Some places literally have no infrastructure built to support electric cars, these out-pf-nowhere crazy expectations that people will all of the sudden jump into overpriced, unsafe technology "just because" make me laugh

Just to clarify what i mean - the (tesla) car will keep the battery at certain temperature - if it's too hot outside battery will be cooled down. If it's too cold - it will be heaten up.
    Now we don't really know how this temperature control system reliable is for different kinds of climate, we don't have any information how it will work on low charge (it taps the energy from the battery) all we know is "the car must be always plugged in when you don't drive it" which reads as "plugs should be everywhere you stop". So, good luck not only with finding a parking spot for you car, but also a parking spot with a plug nearby. Or you'll have to leave your care leeching energy 8 hours while you are at work so your battery won't explode (or lose its quality) leaving you without enough power to get home (or worse - you'll stack in the middle of traffic without an ability to refill)
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-07-07 at 09:21 AM.
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I'm not from the right. I'm all for electric cars, there's a market.

But I will just not drive one, period. Unless you make combustion cars straight out illegal, I will keep on driving one because for me, experience matters. Driving around silently in a car without gears is just... dumb to me. If I want to go from place A to B comfortably and not care about the experience as such, I'll drive a train.

Such a beautiful turbo V8. Compare that to this.

2:00 - Nothing. Just birds. Sometimes it sounds like a visit to the dentist.

So unless(actually, "even if") Volvo fakes the shit out of their sound once they're full electric, they will be even less interesting to me.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-07-07 at 09:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are always afraid of what's different but you can't halt progress, whether you think it is or not - Automated vehicles will all be electric and that's to be expected in our lifetime. Sure people may drive combustion for fun but who knows?

Volvo have years of engineering experience behind them, making ultra efficient and safe vehicles so I'm confused people question why they would do this, though it's not surprising coming from Americans.

releasing something that haven't passed proper field testing yet is not "transition" or "research" or "development" of technology. Just saying.

Some places literally have no infrastructure built to support electric cars, these out-pf-nowhere crazy expectations that people will all of the sudden jump into overpriced, unsafe technology "just because" make me laugh
    Retarded argument is retarded. The infrastructure is fucking electricity. If you have electricity you can charge the cars. is it overpriced for now? Maybe, but that will drop and the "unsafe" technology is going to become more safe and cheaper and more efficient and ....

That is HUGE news. Talk about kicking all the oil producers in the balls.

From what I am reading, every company out there, has their own battery tech ready to go. Toyota has a solid state battery ready to go which does away with most of Lithium Ion problems like melting or exploding. Supposedly with 2-4x the energy density of Li Ion. You have the original creator of Li Ion who came up with a solid state Salt battery. This is going to be the newest hottest sector. And the German car makers are doing the same. I think Tesla is getting hammered by this news as well. Most people did not think EV would catch on this quickly but when you have Tesla show you a proof of concept sedan that is as fast 0-60 then most if not all super cars, and can drive on its own, it's pretty compelling.

I am waiting on the Porsche EV... Damn that car is beautiful. I just hope its performance numbers with 2gen battery power will make it faster then a Tesla p100.

https://chargedevs.com/wp-content/up...-Mission-E.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Retarded argument is retarded. The infrastructure is fucking electricity. If you have electricity you can charge the cars. is it overpriced for now? Maybe, but that will drop and the "unsafe" technology is going to become more safe and cheaper and more efficient and ....
    I don't know why i bother, you are probably one of these people

I don't know why i bother, you are probably one of these people
    Good job posting a picture I guess?

What's the logic here ?
    It means more load when solar power plants cannot provide electricity, thus undercutting efforts for "green energy" from other angle as you suddenly need a lot more batteries for them to cover this night-time demand, making them more costly and worsening their economy, or more traditional power plants.

Well, remember how teatime in britain lead to huge surge in electricity demands? That basically it but 24/7.
    Funny, it's like you haven't read anything in the post you quote, considering it's entire point is precisely pointing how it's NOT like teatime in Britain.
    Regardless of what you think replacing fuel with electricity will create a huge load on electricity grid, and depending on its condition it may or may not lead to problems.
    Batteries are the real (and only) problem with electric cars. So yeah, we need more improvement here. Still isn't a reason to wait until the planet and the economy explode in our faces before starting the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    It means more load when solar power plants cannot provide electricity, thus undercutting efforts for "green energy" from other angle as you suddenly need a lot more batteries for them to cover this night-time demand, making them more costly and worsening their economy, or more traditional power plants.
    True, but only insofar as the load is higher than non-solar electricity production (solar is only one of the renewable resources).

And obviously, the day we can manage (well, if we ever do manage) to make reliable and efficient fusion power, all this will be made near-instantaneously irrelevant anyway !
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-07-07 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    God again this silly assumptions.

You are assuming that technology overall is standing still between now and whenever, current solar panels aren't the same as those we had 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Hybrids lose allot of value, it's rather relatively cheap to find a 2013 VW Jetta for below that of a Passat that's a few years older (not the CC)

a Tesla is something more similar to a Mercedes then a silly Hyundai....so kind of weird that you are comparing those two since the new tesla is actually reasonable priced for a car that's a top brand.

You;re comparison is like if we compared a VW, Audi, BMW or Mercedes to a Fiat or maybe Suzuki

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously if you need a extreme fictional situation to try to get a point across then you already lost by definition. When we go on holidays we drive for 2.5K km but that's a once a year event that we can plan the roads for so in other words that's a exception.

Most people drive around 40km a day to work at best and if a person needs a car that's needed for long distances you can and should plan the roads you use anyway and take a break or two while charging.
    To me, a car is only a tool for me to get where I need or want to go. I have no use for overpriced nonsense that exist only as a display of wealth. So for cars, I have only 2 questions: is it reliable, and how much does it cost?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, remember how teatime in britain lead to huge surge in electricity demands? That basically it but 24/7. Regardless of what you think replacing fuel with electricity will create a huge load on electricity grid, and depending on its condition it may or may not lead to problems.
    At least we can generate electricity through harnessing natural sources. What's oil going to do, grow back?