7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassman View Post
    So by that logic every class should have a female counter part? Give me a bloody break. Its an unnecessary confusion. Characters know that you're female so whats wrong with being called a priest? That's what you are.
    Not every class, but only those that aren't unisex/gender-neutral. Warrior and most others are both Male and Female.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    And this is why we're called Champion or Commander.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Pretty much, just 1 gender neutral title/Voice over.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Not every class, but only those that aren't unisex/gender-neutral. Warrior and most others are both Male and Female.
    Put it this way if you want the VO to refer to you as a priestess then I'm okay with that; however, if you're trying to give the class a different name based on gender that is a problem. There's a lot of confusion in games like BDO between Witches and Wizards even though they do the same things.

You want to add priestess titles in-game? That's cool but when I mouse over you it should say you're a level 110 Night Elf Priest. Male or not. It's overtly complex AND opens up a box of worms because there would be a huge shitstorm that Warlocks and Warriors don't get female counterparts. You know it and I know it and Blizzard would cave and give in if you already made the changes. Additionally, Druid could be male or unisex because Druidess is a thing but it isn't used in Warcraft. So what then?

Leave the box closed.

I dont mind being called. But the titles could have used a gender specific.... Being High Priest instead of High Priestess on a Draenei female is rather wierd.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    I dont mind being called. But the titles could have used a gender specific.... Being High Priest instead of High Priestess on a Draenei female is rather wierd.
    Yeah the titles themselves could have had that. Since that's just a text string.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

7+ Year Old Account
    Put it this way if you want the VO to refer to you as a priestess then I'm okay with that; however, if you're trying to give the class a different name based on gender that is a problem. There's a lot of confusion in games like BDO between Witches and Wizards even though they do the same things.

You want to add priestess titles in-game? That's cool but when I mouse over you it should say you're a level 110 Night Elf Priest. Male or not.
    I meant more in the lines of just changing it in quest text and dialogues when it shows your <class>, since inspecting players and all that stuff is gameplay related, not lore related.

Deleted
    there will be a discord for talk the day of the release?

Yeah the titles themselves could have had that. Since that's just a text string.
    IKR.... that was just lazy af.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dadoru View Post
    Was thinking about making one this week with ongoing discussion about current leaks, but that would just take away from this thread. Could however make one for during the event.

Quote Originally Posted by dadoru View Post
    In the past we used BlizzCon IRC (see signature) and/or the thread itself for chat. It's still the most accessible medium and doesn't crash when there's too many people like Discord does.

I meant more in the lines of just changing it in quest text and dialogues when it shows your <class>, since inspecting players and all that stuff is gameplay related, not lore related.
    Yeah exactly that's completely different than actually changing the title of the class which is what I'm against because people would completely riot over that in both camps if Blizzard did something like that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah exactly that's completely different than actually changing the title of the class which is what I'm against because people would completely riot over that in both camps if Blizzard did something like that.
    Ah, the thing you call title I call name of the class (text that appears during character creation, inspect and so on), while what I conside a title is like High Priest(ess) or when NPCs are referencing you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    R____ of the Loa and R____ of the Light are both valid.
    Omg Loa. I didn’t even think to use that word there. Picture how amazing an entire expansion based on the loa, old gods, primal gods all in conflict. A mists of Pandaria styled chill expansion.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just climbed in the 6th spot today, feels nice.
    -.- Congratulations.

5+ Year Old Account
    So by that logic every class should have a female counter part? Give me a bloody break. Its an unnecessary confusion. Characters know that you're female so whats wrong with being called a priest? That's what you are. If people are seriously complaining about stuff like that in a VIDEO GAME then you have some other problems you need to sort out in your life. Its not real. Its a fictional class, on a fictional planet in a fictional world. As soon as you do it for one class everyone will cry and say you need to do it for all of them. Suddenly female Warlocks are called Witches even though Warlock is a unisex name.
    You're one of -those- guys, huh? Yeah...

Put simply: It's a name. Calling the female Priests Priestesses doesn't require a separate class. It requires a single gender-check on the character. Warlock and Witch could be the same thing without changing the entire class. It's text, and nothing more.

But as someone who has lived as the societal default, I don't think you're really in a decent place to have a real understanding of the situation and it's impact on a person.

And no. Warlock is not a unisex title. The fact that you had to indicate "Female Warlocks" shows that pretty well. Otherwise you could've just as easily said "Warlocks would be called Witches". But it's a separate idea, there. A separate concept added on that Warlocks are male but there's Female Warlocks, too. See how insidiously tiny that is?

That you're so concerned about maintaining the status quo in a Video Game shows that you really do need to sort out your life.
    Last edited by Steampunkette; 2017-10-20 at 06:56 PM.

So by that logic every class should have a female counter part? Give me a bloody break. Its an unnecessary confusion. Characters know that you're female so whats wrong with being called a priest? That's what you are. If people are seriously complaining about stuff like that in a VIDEO GAME then you have some other problems you need to sort out in your life. Its not real. Its a fictional class, on a fictional planet in a fictional world. As soon as you do it for one class everyone will cry and say you need to do it for all of them. Suddenly female Warlocks are called Witches even though Warlock is a unisex name.
    Heh, I never knew female Priests were not called Priestess in-game, because I use the portuguese language.

And it's funny, because the game is capable of differentiating class name by gender, as it does it in other languages. In the portuguese version, male priest is "Sacerdote", while female priest appear as "Sacerdotisa".

I think it's a trivial issue, probably just insert a string in the right place of the files, to include "priestess" as the class name for female characters. So, I wonder why they didn't do it already.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if they delay the raid until January? 7.3.5 in Jan with raid and new story stuff. Beta in March 8.0 in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    You're one of -those- guys, huh? Yeah...

Put simply: It's a name. Calling the female Priests Priestesses doesn't require a separate class. It requires a single gender-check on the character. Warlock and Witch could be the same thing without changing the entire class. It's text, and nothing more.

But as someone who has lived as the societal default, I don't think you're really in a decent place to have a real understanding of the situation and it's impact on a person.

And no. Warlock is not a unisex title.

That you're so concerned about maintaining the status quo in a Video Game shows that you really do need to sort out your life.
    Separate class? What are you even talking about? If you want in-game text, titles and NPC's to refer to you as a Priestess I'm cool with that and I will support it. If you're trying to say that the actual name of a class should change based on your gender then I will not support that. For example, the name of every class will change based on your gender. If you were to inspect a Dwarf that is a female priest the class name would actually be a priestess instead. That's a huge mistake for Blizzard to make. How do I know this? I've seen the confusion it causes for new players and current players. In BDO Witch and Wizard are the same class. Literally the same but Witch is female and Wizard is male. I've been in 20 different threads explaining to someone they are functionally the same in everything but title.

Additionally, Warlock would be a unisex title because a Witch is technically the female counterpart of a Wizard. If you want to attempt to apply that same logic to Warlocks then we might as well just call them all Magicians and be done with it.

It has nothing to do with maintaining the status quo in a video game. It has everything to do with keeping real-life issues out of fictional universes. I play World of Warcraft to escape from the real world, not to see the same issues reflected within it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    What if they delay the raid until January? 7.3.5 in Jan with raid and new story stuff. Beta in March 8.0 in August.
    Hmm highly doubtful they'll delay the raid. Testing is already complete for the most part and we've had ToS for too long already.
    Last edited by Smokinya; 2017-10-20 at 07:06 PM.