Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Canada’s Secret to Resisting the West’s Populist Wave - NYTimes

TORONTO — As right-wing populism has roiled elections and upended politics across the West, there is one country where populists have largely failed to break through: Canada.

The raw ingredients are present. A white ethnic majority that is losing its demographic dominance. A sharp rise in immigration that is changing culture and communities.
    News media and political personalities who bet big on white backlash.

Yet Canada’s politics remain stable. Its centrist liberal establishment is popular. Not only have the politics of white backlash failed, but immigration and racial diversity are sources of national pride. And when anti-establishment outsiders have run the populist playbook, they have found defeat.

Outsiders might assume this is because Canada is simply more liberal, but they would be wrong. Rather, Canada has resisted the populist wave through a set of strategic decisions, powerful institutional incentives, strong minority coalitions and idiosyncratic circumstance

While there is no magic answer to populism, Canada’s experience offers unexpected lessons for other nations.
    A Different Kind of Identity

In other Western countries, right-wing populism has emerged as a politics of us-versus-them. It pits members of white majorities against immigrants and minorities, driven by a sense that cohesive national identities are under threat. In France, for instance, it is common to hear that immigration dilutes French identity, and that allowing minority groups to keep their own cultures erodes vital elements of Frenchness.

Identity works differently in Canada. Both whites and nonwhites see Canadian identity as something that not only can accommodate outsiders, but is enhanced by the inclusion of many different kinds of people.

Canada is a mosaic rather than a melting pot, several people told me — a place that celebrates different backgrounds rather than demanding assimilation.

“Lots of immigrants, they come with their culture, and Canadians like that,” said Ilya Bolotine, an information technology worker from Russia, whom I met at a large park on the Lake Ontario waterfront. “They like variety. They like diversity.”

Identity rarely works this way. Around the world, people tend to identify with their race, religion or at least language. Even in the United States, an immigrant nation, politics have long clustered around demographic in-groups.

Canada’s multicultural identity is largely the result of political maneuvering.

In 1971, Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau faced a crisis amid the rise of French Canadian separatism in Quebec. His party was losing support, and his country seemed at risk of splitting in two.

Mr. Trudeau’s solution was a policy of official multiculturalism and widespread immigration. This would resolve the conflict over whether Canadian identity was more Anglophone or Francophone — it would be neither, with a range of diversity wide enough to trivialize the old divisions.

It would also provide a base of immigrant voters to shore up Mr. Trudeau’s Liberal Party.

Then, in the early 2000s, another politician’s shrewd calculation changed the dynamics of ethnic politics, cementing multiculturalism across all parties.

Jason Kenney, then a Conservative member of Parliament, convinced Prime Minister Stephen Harper that the party should court immigrants, who — thanks to Mr. Trudeau’s efforts — had long backed the Liberal Party.

“I said the only way we’d ever build a governing coalition was with the support of new Canadians, given changing demography,” Mr. Kenney said.

He succeeded. In the 2011 and 2015 elections, the Conservatives won a higher share of the vote among immigrants than it did among native-born citizens.

The result is a broad political consensus around immigrants’ place in Canada’s national identity.

That creates a virtuous cycle. All parties rely on and compete for minority voters, so none has an incentive to cater to anti-immigrant backlash. That, in turn, keeps anti-immigrant sentiment from becoming a point of political conflict, which makes it less important to voters.

In Britain, among white voters who say they want less immigration, about 40 percent also say that limiting immigration is the most important issue to them. In the United States, that figure is about 20 percent. In Canada, according to a 2011 study, it was only 0.34 percent.

Courting Ethnic Groups

Even as politicians engineered a pro-diversity consensus, immigrant and minority groups have organized, unapologetic about asserting their interests.

In Canada, because all parties compete for all ethnic blocs, minorities do not tend to polarize into just one party. That leaves little incentive for tribalism, even as minority groups feel empowered to champion their ethnic or religious identity.

“We say, ‘Look, where do you stand on particular issues of importance to us?’” said Kulvir Singh Gill, a member of Toronto’s powerful Sikh community. “And on the basis of that, we’ll be selective in our support.”

This month, Mr. Gill helped organize a fund-raiser dinner for Seva Food Bank, a Sikh-led charity he co-founded.

The event was crawling with politicians. Senior members of Canada’s three main parties were present, as were several members of Parliament and the provincial premier, Ontario’s equivalent of governor. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (Pierre Trudeau’s son) had recorded a video to open the dinner.

All were seeking support from Canada’s Sikhs — but all were going to have to work for it.

Mr. Gill attributed this to “a real maturation in the community,” with Sikhs cultivating ties to all three parties, ensuring that the Sikh voice would be represented no matter who holds office.

Other minority groups have pursued this strategy, too. As a result, while minorities in other countries feel pressure to assimilate, in Canada they do best when they retain a strong group identity.

Political science research suggests that this dynamic may have also made Canada resistant to political extremism and the polarization plaguing other Western countries.

Lilliana Mason, a professor at the University of Maryland, has found that when group identity and partisan identity overlaps, that deepens partisan polarization and intolerance against the opposing party.

But because Canadian politics accounts for diversity without polarizing across ethnic or religious lines, it is more resilient. Everyone, including whites, becomes less likely to see politics as a game of us versus them.

“We’re an articulation of that Canadian dream, the Sikh Canadian dream, of living our values and putting them into action,” Mr. Gill said.

Making Mass Immigration Work

Rapid changes in demographics tend to spur anti-immigrant sentiment within the dominant group, experts say, bolstering far-right politicians who promise harsh tactics against outsiders.

But although Canada’s high immigration rates have transformed the country in just a few decades, the public has mostly been calm and accepting.

One reason may be Canada’s unusual immigration policies. A sponsorship system, in which Canadian families host newcomers, allows communities to feel they are a part of the country’s refugee resettlement program.

And a points system, which favors migrants who are thought to contribute economically, makes immigration feel like something that benefits everyone.

As a result, immigration is broadly accepted as positive, closing off a major avenue of populist mobilization.

Ahmed Hussen, the federal immigration minister, said “the luck of geography” had also helped make immigration feel less threatening.

Virtually every immigrant to Canada is brought here deliberately. Research suggests that uncontrolled immigration, for example the mass arrival of refugees in Europe, can trigger a populist backlash, regardless of whether those arrivals pose a threat.

“We have the luxury of being surrounded by oceans on three sides, and then by the U.S. border,” Mr. Hussen said. “Which, relative to your southern border, doesn’t have the same amount of irregular migration.”

Immo Fritsche, a professor at the University of Leipzig, in Germany, has found that when people feel a loss of control, they cling more closely to racial and national identities. And they desire leaders who promise to reassert control.

European populists have run on such promises, and by accusing political establishments of selling out their countries to migrants. President Trump’s promise to build a border wall is, at its core, a promise of control.

But Canada’s points- and sponsorship-based systems, along with its geographic position, help communities feel a sense of control over immigration so that, even as new arrivals change politics and society, backlash has been minimal.
    The Face of Canadian Populism

The result is a system tilted heavily against populist outsiders.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/w...1&kwp_1=712256

Great article here from the NY Times which is a well respected news source.

I'm not sure if it is technically a secret but more so, a culture of acceptance and tolerance. There is very little us vs them and more of a tolerant, welcoming society.

The cool thing about Canada's system is that due to high levels of immigration, attitudes towards immigration will likely continue to be positive as "visible minorities" increase their share of the population.

The U.S. can also follow this model with the next democratic President. A path to citizenship for the 10-13 million undocumented immigrants can certainly fight off future populist movements. Not sure about Europe ..

Deleted
    ZZZ Canada boner ZZZ Suck it ZZZ

I am sure Canada is lovely but please

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

Populism is one of the greatest threats many countries face so it is a pretty important article I would say. NYT has clearly done their research this time around.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Only Nova Scotia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Imagine that, you pick and choose who you want, taking only the best and brightest, and people are ok with it.

Deleted
    Doesn't Canada have one of the strictest immigration policies...

10+ Year Old Account
    What? It's the grand scheme dude. Look at how many Syrian refugees Canada took in compared to the U.S., Australia, UK etc.
    Not only that but Canadians elected a government whose major platform promise was to take in tens of thousands of refugees.

Meanwhile in other countries? Not the same.

Canada is probably a country full of grownups who think. Only thing I don't like about Canada is that they appear to have too much censorship based on articles I have seen posted on MMO champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What? It's the grand scheme dude. Look at how many Syrian refugees Canada took in compared to the U.S., Australia, UK etc.
    Not only that but Canadians elected a government whose major platform promise was to take in tens of thousands of refugees.

Meanwhile in other countries? Not the same.
    You have to have a lot of money in the bank(5k) to be able to go canada just on a holiday visa so gtfo with your nonsense
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-07-07 at 09:44 PM.

I am Canadian but I sort of agree. Its making me a bit embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I am Canadian but I sort of agree. Its making me a bit embarrassed.
    Tennisace embarasses us all.

Yes it does. I couldnt even afford to go there for a skiing trip from new zealand because you need to meet their quotas on personal savings. Not many countries do this

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't last Trudeau's premiership. Liberalism is a cancer for workers.

Trump was a revolution.

Trudeau was a revolution.

The only difference I can see is they are on different sides of the political fence.

If you don't give the voters what they want they'll git rid of you and vote in another idiot.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Trump was a revolution.

Trudeau was a revolution.

The only difference I can see is they are on different sides of the political fence.

If you don't give the voters what they want they'll git rid of you and vote in another idiot.
    Well, that and Trump keeps shitting the bed and fucking himself in his own ear. But no difference you can notice, surely.

Deleted
    Populism is one of the greatest threats many countries face
    Is it a greater threat than overweight or unmarried people?

Also what's with these ban lengths. I've typically stayed away for like 3 months after I've been banned, on my own accord. Are you telling me bans here are like a week long? Great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Canada also has a population smaller than several of our states.
    Extremely irrelevant. Many Euro countries have a smaller population and still face rising populism.

Extremely irrelevant. Many Euro countries have a smaller population and still face rising populism.
    Partly because, surprise surprise, they do not have a giant ocean between them and the warzones. So they cannot pick and choose.

You should let them in in waves in Canada, in the same way and pace that they have been coming in in europe(no papers, same numbers etc). Oh, and you should also suffer a few terrorist attacks. After all that has happened, see how quickly populism will rise in Canada. I'm not saying I want this to happen, because of course I don't, but you have to be stupid to compare Canada and the EU in this regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Neo liberalism maybe but actuall classic liberalism is very pro worker.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Uh huh. Do tell.