Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Town" vs. "Village" and other term differences

So one word I've noticed that is used quite frequently across the world in reference to a small, established community is the word "village." But it's almost never used in the U.S. We seem to prefer the word "town," even if we're talking about a teeny tiny community of less than 50 people. But I rarely see the word "town" likewise used internationally. I don't know if it's because for some reason in the U.S. the word "village" brings to mind a primitive collection of straw huts or it seems more archaic, but it's one of those language differences that I find rather interesting.

Anyone have any other language differences that you find interesting too, or other variances in language between countries that speak the same language, but with small differences?

Hmm? There are lots of villages in New Jersey. I live in one that has its own zip code but is otherwise incorporated into a town. I don't think the two terms are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    Hmm? There are lots of villages in New Jersey. I live in one that has its own zip code but is otherwise incorporated into a town. I don't think the two terms are interchangeable.
    I've lived in California all my life (apart from a nickel in Texas and less than a penny in Ohio), and there are plenty of established communities of less than 50 people, especially when you get in the mountains. I've never heard the term "village" applied to any community, no matter how small. It's always been "town." Maybe New Jersey and other colonial states have villages as one of the last few influences of old-world Europe?

A town is above 1000 people, a village below that.

Villages tend to be more rural.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to Sim City, a village is less than 2000.

I live in the U.S. - born and raised in Wisconsin. I live near a place that is officially referred to as a village. It's less than 200 people, probably around 100 people at most. I grew up in a city of 51,000, and I currently live in a city of less than 10,000. My father grew up in a "town" of about 2,000. I suppose it's different in different areas, dependent on referring to surrounding areas. I've seen plenty of unincorporated areas with far less than 100 people (one place had a population of 2, and it had a bar as well) and there are "townships" inside/around cities I've lived in with a few dozen people.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    I live in the U.S. - born and raised. I live near a place that is officially referred to as a village. It's less than 200 people, probably around 100 people at most. I grew up in a city of 51,000, and I currently live in a city of less than 10,000. My father grew up in a "town" of about 2,000. I suppose it's different in different areas, dependent on referring to surrounding areas. I've seen plenty of unincorporated areas with far less than 100 people (one place had a population of 2, and it had a bar as well) and there are "townships" inside/around cities I've lived in with a few dozen people.
    Just out of curiosity, what state is that in? Is it one of the original "colonial" states, or something newer/further west?

We don't use the word "village" around here. Everything is a "town" until it gets "city" sized.

If it's called a "village" it's likely a tourist trap.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what state is that in? Is it one of the original "colonial" states, or something newer/further west?
    Sorry, edited it to say "Wisconsin" missing your reply by a second or two.

edit: here's a village with a population of 287 - Haugen, Wisconsin.

edit 2: It seems the term is different depending on which state in the U.S. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villag...rated_villages

In the state of Wisconsin, a village is always legally separate from the towns that it has been incorporated from. The largest village is Menomonee Falls, which has over 32,000 residents.
    In some states such as New York, Wisconsin, or Michigan, a village is usually an incorporated municipality, within a single town or civil township. In some cases, the village may be coterminous with the town or township. There are also villages that span the boundaries of more than one town or township; some villages may straddle county borders.
    In many states, the term "village" is used to refer to a relatively small unincorporated community, similar to a hamlet in New York state. This informal usage may be found even in states that have villages as an incorporated municipality, although such usage might be considered incorrect and confusing.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2017-08-22 at 09:19 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    We don't use the word "village" around here. Everything is a "town" until it gets "city" sized.

If it's called a "village" it's likely a tourist trap.
    That's pretty much how it is in California.

10+ Year Old Account
    Up here, "village" is an incorporated municipality with a population under 500, a "town" has a population between 500 and 5000 and a "city" is over 5000.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    In French,village refers to both words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    According to Sim City, a village is less than 2000.
    2000 is like a Cruise Ship LOL!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

In modern English, "village" has a quaint old-timey connotation. Brings to mind thatched-roof houses and people in wooden shoes.

I suspect this is a shift in the language that occurred during the Industrial revolution but I have nothing to back that up.

I believe it's more common in Britain. But it tends to refer to rural areas, or is applied to old-timey towns. It's sometimes used fancifully to an area with old fashioned character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

We have towns, villages, boroughs and gates around here.

10+ Year Old Account
    So one word I've noticed that is used quite frequently across the world in reference to a small, established community is the word "village." But it's almost never used in the U.S. We seem to prefer the word "town," even if we're talking about a teeny tiny community of less than 50 people. But I rarely see the word "town" likewise used internationally. I don't know if it's because for some reason in the U.S. the word "village" brings to mind a primitive collection of straw huts or it seems more archaic, but it's one of those language differences that I find rather interesting.

Anyone have any other language differences that you find interesting too, or other variances in language between countries that speak the same language, but with small differences?
    Illinois has a few hundred incorporated villages, like Village of Lombard, Village of Libertyville, Village of Wheeling, etc...

If only there were a series of computers that, when combined through some kind of oh let's call it an internet, formed a network of information that was easily accessible to everyone. If only...

hmm

Large town – a large town has a population of 20,000 to 100,000. Town – a town has a population of 1,000 to 20,000. Village – a village is a human settlement or community that is larger than a hamlet but, smaller than a town.

sums up how I've thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    If only there were a series of computers that, when combined through some kind of oh let's call it an internet, formed a network of information that was easily accessible to everyone. If only...
    He was talking about the state he grew up in dude. Google won't tell me that.

It is interesting though that only a handful of states have villages, the most Western of which is Texas. Most states don't use the term (like, California, Oregon and Washington), and it sure as shit isn't because those states lack for tiny communities with fewer than 1000 people.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2017-08-23 at 08:53 AM.

Deleted
    But I rarely see the word "town" likewise used internationally.

Fine example of the result of both, language and culture. In some other English speaking countries you might find even more terms than the "typical" village/town/city (there's an example in a previous post), while there are languages where many more terms are used, and in some other languages where less terms are used - in fact, in some languages, there's only a single word for a permanently inhabited place, regardless of size or population. To go even further, some countries actually have laws determining what is required for a place to stop being called a "village" and officially become a "town" and so on.